Nexus 5 2015 refresh

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Is this a worthy upgrade to Z3 Compact?

Im in the USA at the moment so could get the 32GB for £272 instead of UK price of £350, sell Z3C for £150 so spend about £122.

I've been thinking about an upgrade after 14 months with my current phone and I need to send my Z3C to get replace for a fault, so was thinking during the week or so I won't have it would be better to get a new one now.

Main improvements I'm looking for is a slightly bigger screen, better camera (esp low light), more premium feel. Only reservations I see is lack of microSD, as I have nearly filled out my 64GB microSD card.

Whats the screen on time like for a full charge? Usually get 4-5 hours on Z3C.

Or is there a better option as this thread doesnt paint the best picture for the 5x?

Last edited:
Soldato
Is this a worthy upgrade to Z3 Compact?

Im in the USA at the moment so could get the 32GB for £272 instead of UK price of £350, sell Z3C for £150 so spend about £122.

I've been thinking about an upgrade after 14 months with my current phone and I need to send my Z3C to get replace for a fault, so was thinking during the week or so I won't have it would be better to get a new one now.

Main improvements I'm looking for is a slightly bigger screen, better camera (esp low light), more premium feel. Only reservations I see is lack of microSD, as I have nearly filled out my 64GB microSD card.

Whats the screen on time like for a full charge? Usually get 4-5 hours on Z3C.

Or is there a better option as this thread doesnt paint the best picture for the 5x?

You'll get the bigger screen and better camera (low light really is that good) but not so sure about the premium feel. I quite enjoy the feel of mine but I wouldn't say it's quality. the back creaks sometimes and coming from the Z3C you might be underwhelmed by the plastic feel. (though it is a premium plastic feel). It's also quite a lot bigger than the Z3C.

Battery is pretty decent. You'll probably get 4 SOT from it but the SOT isn't as good a comparison anymore as it'll feel like it lasts longer because of android M's doze feature. When I go to sleep at night, in the morning the phone has lost literally 1% (sometimes 0%), so standby time extends the time between charges. So in conclusion: less SOT but more stand-by time will probably make it feel comparable in battery life to the Z3C.

If i were you I'd get a hands on, as the feel of the phone is most likely to affect your decision here, as long as you reckon 32GB is enough.

Soldato
Thinking of getting this for my girlfriend for Christmas. She has a N4 at the moment but has massive issues with it freezing/locking, really poor signal, poor camera, etc. She likes the non bloated software so thinking the S6 might be out of the question.

Anyone know of any up and coming deals? I know CPW had the 32gb version at £299.99 when it first came out but now it's upto £349.99/£344

Soldato
Thinking of getting this for my girlfriend for Christmas. She has a N4 at the moment but has massive issues with it freezing/locking, really poor signal, poor camera, etc. She likes the non bloated software so thinking the S6 might be out of the question.

Anyone know of any up and coming deals? I know CPW had the 32gb version at £299.99 when it first came out but now it's upto £349.99/£344

No, it was the 16gb they had for £299.99, they had the 32gb at £349.99 (and still do).

Until a couple of days ago I would have said Amazon was the best deal at £349.99 for the 32gb, but Google have just knocked £35 off so it can be had from them for £304/£344.

Soldato

Be aware that the N5X is tall phone, not far off the height of the Galaxy Note phones, so if she's happy with the size of the phone currently then it might be worthwhile looking elsewhere.

The closest in size to the Nexus 4 is the Z5 Compact (or a Z3 Compact, which is still a great phone and may be able to find cheaper. The screen is 4.6" rather than the 4.7" of the Nexus 4, despite adding front-facing speakers. The camera isn't as good as the Nexus 5X, but it's still in the top tier of cameras (assuming it's the same as the one in the Z5) Edit: Though I've just remembered that the Z5's video stabilisation is miles better than the Nexus's. The Sony phones aren't bloated in the way the Samsung ones are - yes they add extra apps to Stock Android, but it's not bloated as such.

If she's happy with the size of the N5X then ignore the above. It's a cracking phone, only a little pricey when compared to the 6P.

Last edited:
Soldato
Be aware that the N5X is tall phone, not far off the height of the Galaxy Note phones, so if she's happy with the size of the phone currently then it might be worthwhile looking elsewhere.

The closest in size to the Nexus 4 is the Z5 Compact (or a Z3 Compact, which is still a great phone and may be able to find cheaper. The screen is 4.6" rather than the 4.7" of the Nexus 4, despite adding front-facing speakers. The camera isn't as good as the Nexus 5X, but it's still in the top tier of cameras (assuming it's the same as the one in the Z5) Edit: Though I've just remembered that the Z5's video stabilisation is miles better than the Nexus's. The Sony phones aren't bloated in the way the Samsung ones are - yes they add extra apps to Stock Android, but it's not bloated as such.

If she's happy with the size of the N5X then ignore the above. It's a cracking phone, only a little pricey when compared to the 6P.

Thanks for that, hadn't considered that it would be that much larger! I've tried to compare it to the S6 as I know she's used her friends before and I can't see that it's massively bigger than it. I've got an iphone 6 which I think is a in between size. I think I'll go for it and if she doesn't like it I'll return it. Does anyone know how good the Google returns are?

Soldato
It's primarily the front-facing speakers which causes the spreadage.

If you get it from Google then their returns are fine. Same with Amazon (ensure it's fulfilled by Amazon or available through Prime). If Carphone Warehouse then... well, it should get done, but it might not be quick or pretty.

CW might have a demo unit she can play with to get an idea of the size though.

Soldato
Thanks for that, hadn't considered that it would be that much larger! I've tried to compare it to the S6 as I know she's used her friends before and I can't see that it's massively bigger than it. I've got an iphone 6 which I think is a in between size. I think I'll go for it and if she doesn't like it I'll return it. Does anyone know how good the Google returns are?

This
is handy for comparing sizes (though obviously not as good as in the flesh), just a little bigger than then S6 as you say.

Soldato
Anyone had any issues with freezing, particularly when using the camera app? Found myself wanting to take a photo on a couple of occasions and it not responding.

I've read of this issue a few times. Think it's a bug.

On another note, just got 5h45mins screen on time without battery saver? Just a fair bit of Facebook, emails, calls and texts mostly on wifi but with poor cellular signal. Not bad in my eyes.

Soldato
Anyone had any issues with freezing, particularly when using the camera app? Found myself wanting to take a photo on a couple of occasions and it not responding.

Yes, quite a few times. Even today after the 6.0.1 update, I had to reboot the phone.

My general lag is improving but this is genuinely the most disappointing phone I have ever owned. I wish i had bought an S6 instead.

Soldato
I'm still enjoying my 5X.

Got it in the ice colour and picked up one of the microfibre cases when half price.

Camera is good enough for every day use, easily lasts a day for me, loving stock android, I got use to the size increase from the z3c pretty quickly and as much as the difference between 720 and 1080 isn't much to notice at these kinda sizes, I like that more gets shown on the screen, not as much zooming when browsing :)

Soldato
Only had mine a few days but really like it so far, I was surprised at how good it looked and felt with the plastic back. Guess it depends on what you're looking for, I'm sure the S6 is better overall, personally I just wanted stock and have never liked Samsung phones.

Back
Top Bottom