Nexus 5 2015 refresh

Soldato
Still not got anywhere productive with a repair. LG eventually arranged a collection with DPD without telling me anything beyond "they're be there tomorrow", DPD wouldn't give any further information either bar a delivery window of 6am to 10pm. (Not like I've got a job or anything...)
Around midday today I get a message saying the delivery will be between 19:30 and 20:30. Then at around 20:00 I get one saying "your driver is 30 mins away" then a few minutes later.... "Sorry you weren't in"

I'm in the house with the damn lights on! How about knocking? Sigh...

Soldato
Got my Nexus 5x back from LG yesterday. Mainboard replaced free of charge, have upgraded it to Android 8.0 and restored all my apps. So far so good. Although I've not yet put my sim back into it, will leave that for the weekend I think.

Associate
When I tried the open GL SKia fix, it sorted the lagging but lots of things including photo gallery stopped displaying correctly (couldn't see the photos), even after a restart etc. Is there another setting required, do other people get this ?

Soldato
When I tried the open GL SKia fix, it sorted the lagging but lots of things including photo gallery stopped displaying correctly (couldn't see the photos), even after a restart etc. Is there another setting required, do other people get this ?

I had that issue with the photo gallery. I tried wiping the phone and it still didn't resolve it. Turned out it resolved itself after a few restarts and would need a restart every time I switched the open gl setting.

Associate
Mine has succumbed to the bootloop death at the age of 17 months. Actually, it died a month ago but I've only just got round to doing anything about it. There were about 2 months of photos I'd not backed up so I fancied trying the cold/heat recovery methods.

I'd noticed the phone would get further through the boot process when cold so I tried the freezer method. Sealed the phone in a plastic bag with some desiccant granules and the usb cable poking out then popped it into the freezer for 30 mins. Tried the power button. Nothing. Battery was flat as a pancake. After ten mins charging it booted fine. Took the phone out of the freezer, wrapped it in a freezable wine bottle chiller, then in a towel and finally took the whole lot to my PC.

In all I had it hooked up to my PC for about 40 mins. First I copied off the things I thought important then did a complete backup. After that I did a factory reset and rebooted into the initial phone setup dialog. At this point I shut the phone down and left it in its bag to warm up. Back at room temp it mostly won't even get past the white google logo before rebooting.

Called up LG support and got through to a human with no wait at all. Quick description of the fault and he said it would need sending back. I've emailed them a copy of my purchase receipt as requested and they should get back to me within 48 hours to arrange collection.

Associate
I've got 2 nexus 5x phones sat here boot looping but as I purchased them from ebay is there nothing I can do to get them repaired or replaced? Shame as they were excellent phones the entire time we've had them until the boot looping started :(

Google said they want proof of purchase :( And I didn't even bother to ask LG as I figured I would get the same response...

Associate
Luckily 1 of the 5x phones is unlocked but the other isn't so there was nothing I could do. I've had a go at the 4 and 1 core fix that's on the xda forums but it didn't last long and now they are both boot looping once again!

I've just had the same problem with my nexus 6p too, It boot looped and then hours into using it perfectly fine with 4 cores disabled it started boot looping and now it wont start up past the fastboot menu :(

Google, LG and Huawei should be ashamed with the lack of support regarding such a blatant obvious and wide spread fault with these particular phones.

Associate
It's a pain, I used the 4core fix for a friends phone and they have no trouble running it either for over a month too ;) It just doesn't like me :p I've tried flashing every which way but nothing want's to work lol

I'm considering giving up regular well known phones and buying the Elephone simply because it's a pretty decent spec phone for so little money compared to the norm but most of all that phone is NOT the norm :D And I may have better luck with it :D

Soldato
Still haven't received the OTA yet. :(

As or the Pixel launcher coming to the 5x, I'm still not sure. Think they might of just been a rumour.

I did read however that Google have broken the 'check for updates' in the current version of Android. A dodgy google play update was the culprit. A fix is in coming in the future.

Dunno if that explains why no update has been received yet.

---

I've just received it! :D:D:D

Last edited:
Associate
I got it too yesterday, as above, can't really see any visual difference. I will cautiously say it feels like they may have improved the lagging issue from 8.0, it's a bit early to say for sure, but I feel like I'm getting less lag.

Associate
My repaired 5x has gone into bootloop again today. LG have agreed to repair again for free. So thats a bonus.
I will be getting rid once its back though, its ticking timebomb.

What phone are people upgrading to?

Associate
My repaired 5x has gone into bootloop again today. LG have agreed to repair again for free. So thats a bonus.
I will be getting rid once its back though, its ticking timebomb.

What phone are people upgrading to?

It's still in warranty? My wife has a 5x and it's already been to LG once due to boot looping. I fear it will happen again at some point but the phone is out of warranty now.

Back
Top Bottom