Nexus 5 2015 refresh

Soldato
Well and truly fed up with Android 8 now, my 5x has been shockingly slow since the upgrade. At first it seemed ok but it's now got to the point where it regularly hangs for 10-15 seconds when trying to do anything. Has anyone rolled their 5x back to 7?

Soldato
I never really had any issues with Oreo. Symptoms before it croaked it were a couple of hangs, Battery suddenly went from 60% to 4% when it had been on charge, Not taking a charge until I rebooted it. When running Oreo, I did see a couple of pauses here and there. Have you tried wiping the cache?

Soldato
I did the cache wipe a while back which seemed to help initially to get it more in line with 7, but it's gone downhill since.

I've just switched the OpenGL mode, it sounds like my symptoms are similar to the guy in the link experienced so fingers crossed it might help. I'll report back!

Caporegime
I haven't really had any problems since oreo landed but tried the above anyway and that definitely feels more nippy :cool:

Such a shame about the boot loop issue and battery being **** now as this could have easily lasted me until next years pixel phones :(

Soldato
Strange thing since I've restored my back up to my new 5X, All the photos in the Google photos app are all jumbled, Showing as a white square, Showing like static from a bad TV signal. Have a feeling I may have to wipe it again.

Soldato
I'm thinking it might be... Can't get to bootloader, no signs of life at all and pretty certain the battery is fine - life has been good until now and pretty certain it was fully charged this morning.

No idea if I've got any warranty on the phone, Bought it in June/July from Amazon last year. So guess I might be needing to budget for a new phone :(

Edit:

Went through the initial support step on Amazon which just directed me to raise it with LG. Called the LG support line and got through to the mobile team, mentioned the issue and phone and practically before I finished explaining the guy said "we'll get DPD to arrange collection of the phone for repair"
Handed over some details and copy of the recept, no concerns passed onto me about the age of the phone (over a year old) and said that expectation is it will be repaired with a new mainboard and returned to me after about a week.

Let's see what happens!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm thinking it might be... Can't get to bootloader, no signs of life at all and pretty certain the battery is fine - life has been good until now and pretty certain it was fully charged this morning.

No idea if I've got any warranty on the phone, Bought it in June/July from Amazon last year. So guess I might be needing to budget for a new phone :(

Edit:

Went through the initial support step on Amazon which just directed me to raise it with LG. Called the LG support line and got through to the mobile team, mentioned the issue and phone and practically before I finished explaining the guy said "we'll get DPD to arrange collection of the phone for repair"
Handed over some details and copy of the recept, no concerns passed onto me about the age of the phone (over a year old) and said that expectation is it will be repaired with a new mainboard and returned to me after about a week.

Let's see what happens!

That's good then. Hopefully they get it back to you quickly!

Soldato
Well mines finally bootlooping, luckily the bootloader is unlocked so i could try keeping it going for a while with the boot.img that disables the affected cores we will see later, failing that i need to get the bootloader locked and get it back to lg, i got it from argos about 18 months ago.

I was really hoping this would have lasted until a phone i like came out but theres nothing that does it for me currently, maybe its a sign to get the iphone x :)

EDIT

Back up and running by flashing the modified boot.img from XDA, it will give me some time to prepare an upgrade, at least i don't have to worry about it failing again and i think the performance hit shouldn't be too bad for what i use it for :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom