NHS computer systems hacked!?

Soldato
Well, the sun are reporting that they are demanding $300 in bitcoin. So either the sun don't have a clue what they are talking about or the hackers are low rent hackers..

Soldato
So when something like this happens or if a PC has a virus is it best to just reinstall Windows.. Noob with the technical side of stuff sorry

It's a cryptolocker style attack. It has encrypted all of the files on the computer and the only way you can decrypt them is to pay the ransom and hope they decrypt it for you.

If you have all of your files backed up, you can wipe your system and restore everything. If you dont have a backup, you dont have many options.

Soldato
As above, someone's clicked on or opened something they shouldn't and it's propagated through the network or email system, most likely. :(

I doubt it was a specific cyber-attack on the NHS.

Soldato
So when something like this happens or if a PC has a virus is it best to just reinstall Windows.. Noob with the technical side of stuff sorry

If antimalware and antivirus can't kill it it's easier and safer just to start again. If you have backups that aren't connected to your pc then it's not an issue as you can just download again.

Ransomware tends to encrypt anything you could use to recover your system so it's futile trying anything other than paying or hoping that someone releases a key generator within the allotted time.

Soldato

Yeah but they'll lose all the data on the PC.

Surely this should be considered an attack on our countries infrastructure, I would hope GCHQ and MI6 would be looking into this and finding who did it

Soldato
I work for a medical imaging solutions company that has our client installed across 80 NHS hospitals.

Today hasn't been fun, that is for sure.

Soldato
Sounds like NHS just happened to get stung if has happened to other companies elsewhere in the world

Considering how this sort of malware works how they going to get back to pre maleware?

They've said no data acessed but that's all very well and good I belive that but what happens if that data that is there has been encrypted ?!

Associate
This reminds me of a story a security consultant told when I was at a conference last year - The NHS uses smartcards that you have to insert into the keyboard to access the IT system. An NHS manager was explaining to him how super secure this system was when they walked up to a PC and he saw that someone had cut the card in half and sellotaped it into the slot with a note saying "DO NOT REMOVE!!"

Caporegime
WikiLeaks exposed the fact that the CIA had found security holes in industrial hardware routers/switches and rather than alert the manufacturers they just kept quiet so that they could spy themselves, I thought at the time it's pretty stupid to think hackers wouldn't find those same holes sooner or later. That said I bet some NHS computers are still running Windows 95.

Soldato
Yeah but they'll lose all the data on the PC.

Surely this should be considered an attack on our countries infrastructure, I would hope GCHQ and MI6 would be looking into this and finding who did it

Aren't the NSC a part of GCHQ? if so they are already on it as well as the NCA. Not sure how easy it is to trace ransomware, expeically if it has lain dormant for a time on the system and just activated today.

Soldato

Or use Macrium or other software to backup your system daily, keep as many revisions a large hard disk can hold, once the disk fills up the oldest backup is deleted.

Password protect the back-ups.

Back
Top Bottom