Nightmare PC problems

Associate
I can't get my system to boot after replacing faulty parts.

I've had a system for 2 years with parts I bought brand new from OcUk, worked like a charm, no issues. I've recently had to replace the motherboard and PSU due to being faulty and getting surge errors upon boot and freezing with 'squeeling' noises.

Upon trying to boot the system with the 2 new parts (mobo and PSU) the system powers on, mobo light up etc, but no image is shown on my monitor and the Asus Q-code stays constant at '00'. I breadboarded the system to minimum components, with 1,2 and 4 Ram modules installed, the same result. After getting in touch with OcUk support we concluded the CPU must have failed.

.....So I setup up an RMA through intel, received the replacement CPU today, installed it in the system, and exactly the same issue. I've now been without a system for over a month due to replacing the parts and delivery time, and am at my wits end now.

My original motherboard x99 Deluxe V1 had been flashed to the latest bios at the time (ver. 3402), memory was running in XMP1 at 2666Mhz, and no overclock has ever been applied.

If anyone has any advice I'd really really appreciate it, this is a nightmare and I don't know what the issue is.

Specs:
I7 5930K (replaced 16/5)
X99 Deluxe V1 > X99 Deluxe V2
16Gb Corsair Vengeance 2666
Evga GTX 980 SC
Corsair H105
Superflower Leadex Platinum 1000W (replaced)
2x Samsung 850 Pro SSD
1x WD Black 2TB
OcUk DVD read+write
Corsair 780T
Windows 8.1 > upgrade to 10

Man of Honour
Is the motherboard an RMA replacement? Asus have a bad habit of just rotating out customer returns that are just as faulty as the returned board :(

If you are using a backplate for the CPU cooler try loosening it slightly and/or check it isn't shorting components on the back of the board.

I have and would have had my doubts its the CPU - those tend to either be faulty from day one or be almost bullet proof these days (unless you chuck stupid levels of voltage through them).

Associate
OP
Thanks for the fast response guys,

Rroff the motherboard is an RMA replacement, I asked if it was a new board and it was confirmed to be new stock from OcUk. There is no backplate fit the H105 and I have checked, the screws aren't too tight I wasn't 100% sure it was the CPU myself but after talking to customer support, we both thought thats all it could be as the system was running properly before.

Quartz, I haven't actually tried without any RAM, I also don't have a motherboard speaker, all I get is simply the Q-Code '00' and the 'Post State' LED remaining lit red.

I'm going to try resulting all the motherboard cables and check that the stand offs aren't touching the board later. Any other suggestions would be really helpful.

Soldato
Associate
OP
You think that could be the cause of it Lee? I'll have to have a look in to that tomorrow.

Honey Badger, I'm in the Medway Towns, Gillingham, whys that?

Thanks Mattyfez, considered getting one in the past, might have to look in to it now.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the support.

Soldato
You think that could be the cause of it Lee? I'll have to have a look in to that tomorrow.

Honey Badger, I'm in the Medway Towns, Gillingham, whys that?

Thanks Mattyfez, considered getting one in the past, might have to look in to it now.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the support.

I'm also in the Medway towns (Hoo) - I could help but it'll be a week or so, I'm fully committed all week and weekend.

Associate
OP
@honey Badger I'd really appreciate that, I know Hoo, I'm going to try a few more things (breadboard the components and check no standoffs are shorting the board), not sure if it'll work but I can't think think of anything else.

I'll post back with any updates.

Soldato
If my car gets fixed tomorrow, I have Friday morning off. I could drop round some spare bits to help you testing. PSU, DDR4 RAM, PC Speaker.

Take the CMOS battery out. All cables apart from 24 and 8 pin PSU. on stick of RAM, no disks or other bits plugged in. It's X99 so no built in VHA but remove GFX.

With nothing but power and CPU(and cooler) what does it do?

On phone hence crappy reply!

Associate
OP
I've got a job interview Friday morning funnily enough, sorry mate.

I've not actually taken a CMOS battery out before, I'll do the rest when I get back from another interview tomorrow and will give you an update asap.

Associate
OP
Nothing has worked, breadboarded the motherboard again with simply the cpu, cpu cooler+fans and memory installed.

Reseated the 24 & 8 pin again, powered up the board and exactly the same result, lights flash on, pump kicks in and the Asus Q-Code stays at a constant '00'. This happened every time with 0, 1, 2 or 4 memory sticks installed.

Other than the CPU (which had been replaced), motherboard (which has been replaced and upgraded, the socket pins are absolutely fine), memory which has worked flawlessly prior to this, and the PSU (which has been replaced), I can not for the life of me work out what's causing an issue.

I've taken some pictures of the testing if anyone would like to see them.

Soldato
I can drop off a spare X99 mobo (I've got 2 spare) PSU (3 spare), RAM (32GB Spare) and PC speaker for you to help testing if you want?

(Car is OK!)

Mobo: EVGA mATX X99 Micro 2
PSU: Either a Corsair RM1000 or an EVGA G2 650
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB LED 3000 (4*8GB)
Speaker

Let me know :) - If so I can drop them off to you and you can let me know when you're done with them and I'll arrange collection.

Edit: Can probably drop them off around 8/9pm tonight if you wanted, I wont be home earlier but it'll give you a chance to tinker.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom