Nikon D7100 upgrade to D500?

Soldato
OP
I did buy a program called Focal [ or something like ] auto tool you need a computer for. It worked fine on prime lenses, zooms still have issues [ although not as much ]. They brought out a new version of it, 4 months after my 12 months ran out. Im not paying for it again. By focus I do mean the Fine Tune on the D7100.

Its a great camera, but as i have said before. When you lose 50% + to out of focus, while your friend next to you gets 90%+ in focus. You may think it is me.

We swapped cameras , same results. It has got so bad that I now take 3-4 times the photos i want just to make sure i get enough in focus.

I have not sent the camera to Nikon, was not aware that was an option. Good idea, will look in to that. I keep thinking i should go full frame as i love sky line photos. But the cost of lenses is too much. Why i was looking at the D500. I will though look at the D7200 as well.

Associate
ok .. I bought a Data colour Spyder lens cal. It's a tool that will show you if your lens is forward or backward focusing. Here is a quick video of what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2zlLIDfVgc
This is what I used to calibrate my D7100. As I said above, all my lenses needed calibrating or more correctly, my D7100 needed calibrating for all my lenses. You can also check your focus on zoom lenses at different focal lengths as well which is a bonus.
I would suggest buying this tool: http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-datacolor-spyderlenscal/p1522911
I don't know if you can get it cheaper anywhere else. When I was taking photos of birds nesting, I would swear that I was in focus, but the focus was always a little away from where I had it. On Bluetits that small amount is either having the bird in focus or not. The D7100 is a fantastic camera and I would hate to know you've spent loads more when there is a simple cure. Saying that though, going from the D7100 to the D500 is like going from a fiat 500 to a Ferrari ... but the D500 involves a whole lot more learning .. :)
Let me know if you need more info .. but please don't go and blow more money if you don't need to.

Associate
Is there so much difference between the two?
(presuming they are both working properly)

D500 has better build quality
Much larger buffer and faster Fps.
Better auto focus.

Seems more like mini to mini Cooper S to me :)

If the Op isn't getting the results he wants something is wrong, either with the camera, calibration, or settings.

Associate
swapping from one to another .. yes there is a great deal of difference. Especially if your shooting fast objects .. the fps is fantastic with the D500. The D7100 I use for macro work and it's still a great camera and well worth keeping. If he's having issues with focus I would suggest the above. Get the lenses on the camera and see if it's front/back focusing and adjust if needed. If there is still an issues then it's deeper than just calibration and needs investigating further. I would certainly get the D7100 checked over and there is no need to spend loads more on a D500 just due to a focus issue. Either the camera works or it's not .. get it fixed and put the money towards some good glass .. glass that you can use down the track if you end up upgrading ..

Soldato
OP
Good points. I will go back to the AF system and see what I can do. Like everything else, I need to practice more. Glass wise ive done ok so far. Just wish the photos were pin sharp.

Associate
Take some photos and post them so we can have a look. See if you can keep to one subject so you can repeat the shots with different settings .. the tool i suggested above would really come in handy ..

Soldato
OP
Right now, no. work is keeping me a tad busy. But i will try to get some this weekend and then work out how to put them in here. Thanks for the reminder.

Just annoying that the lenses on my fuji S5 work perfectly fine for focus, yet the 7100 seems to have many issues with them. could be me though..

Associate
no problems .. don't be annoyed though. I can't count the number of times I've had problems only to find i was cocking things up :)
when your ready then let us know and there will be loads of people who will try and help .. have a great weekend

Soldato
ok .. I bought a Data colour Spyder lens cal. It's a tool that will show you if your lens is forward or backward focusing. Here is a quick video of what I mean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2zlLIDfVgc
This is what I used to calibrate my D7100. As I said above, all my lenses needed calibrating or more correctly, my D7100 needed calibrating for all my lenses. You can also check your focus on zoom lenses at different focal lengths as well which is a bonus.
I would suggest buying this tool: http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-datacolor-spyderlenscal/p1522911
I don't know if you can get it cheaper anywhere else. When I was taking photos of birds nesting, I would swear that I was in focus, but the focus was always a little away from where I had it. On Bluetits that small amount is either having the bird in focus or not. The D7100 is a fantastic camera and I would hate to know you've spent loads more when there is a simple cure. Saying that though, going from the D7100 to the D500 is like going from a fiat 500 to a Ferrari ... but the D500 involves a whole lot more learning .. :)
Let me know if you need more info .. but please don't go and blow more money if you don't need to.
Thanks for that. I just ordered one myself for my 7100. (Amazon selling them for £49.00, search "SpyderLensCal (PC)").

Associate
no problemo .. loads of people have helped me out over the years .. it's nice to be able to help others :) now take the time to read the instructions carefully .. it's no good trying to do it quickly or at the incorrect distances as you will be defeating the purpose of getting your lens/camera adjusted correctly .. let me know how you go or what you found ok .. have a fantastic weekend :)

Back
Top Bottom