Nikon D7500

Caporegime
Agreed. Cameras are so advanced these days that the manufacturers are struggling to top them. Will be years before I need to upgrade my D750 as it's just so good.

That is true. A lot is just down to physics. Sensors are already now so sensitive and have such low notice floors that within the shadows they are differentiating between a couple of photons. They are pretty much individual photon counters. Similarly with resolution, we can move to 54MP FF sensors but that is not that much better than 36MP and we already hit diffraction limits in scenarios where we might want to use higher resolution. E.f. you shoot at f/11 you wont really see a difference between 36MP and 54MP. If you shoot at f/1.4 you could, but then most of the photo is out of focus anyway. Metering already blows me away with how reliable it is, some improvements using more machine learning but ultimately when a camera makes a mistake its because it can't read your mind these days. AF could be improved but we start entering the physical limits of what a viable lens can shift focus at.

the real resolution is still a while away but it wont be hardware but software. Computation photography and computer vision, machine learning etc. will all produce the next steps. We are already seeing deep learning being used for intelligent noise removal or for up-scaling images. There will be things like combine multiple images in order to reduce noise floor or allow different Depths of focus and choosing focus points in post-processing. Photoshop's ability to make intelligent corrections will increase vastly in the coming years. Motion and camera blur will be able to be removed in lighroom automatically.

The face of photography will change because it will require even less sill to produce stunning results.

Caporegime
One memory card slot, garbage, throw it in the bin. It's a downgrade for a prosumer targeted product. I'd rather buy a 2nd hand D7xxx series for the reliability.

Removal of the AF motor so many lenses don't work with it like the 80-200 f.2.8 which is widely used is just bizarre for the sports/wildlife prosumer demographic they are aiming for with this product.

And 4k video at a 2.2 crop factor, fantastic, good luck fiming in wide angle...

The price difference is largely down to Brexit.The D7200 was $1200 RRp the D7500 is now 1250. Accounting for inflation that is something like a $20-30 price increase.

Come off it, brexit is the biggest excuse for price gouging companies use.

Last edited:
Caporegime
One memory card slot, garbage, throw it in the bin. It's a downgrade for a prosumer targeted product. I'd rather buy a 2nd hand D7xxx series for the reliability.

Removal of the AF motor so many lenses don't work with it like the 80-200 f.2.8 which is widely used is just bizarre for the sports/wildlife prosumer demographic they are aiming for with this product.

The memory slot is really not a deal breaker at al. Dual slots are useful for Pros, in fact it is a requirement I would say. It certainly isn't a requirement for consumers, and even serious consumers. When shooting casually I rarely have 2 cards in my D800, but when shooting a paid event there is always 2. It would be nice if they kept it but Nikon have to differentiate products so if this is a trade-off that has to be made then so be it, most people can live with that. For the people that think its a deal break then go buy the D500, its a better camera.

Removal of the AF motor is also not really an issue at all. Most of these lenses haven't been made in coming up to 30 years now. The number of people that want to use very old lenses with a brand new $1250 camera is pretty low. I used to own a 2nd hand 80-200mm AF-D and yeah it was great, but then I traded it for a used 70-200mm VR for a tiny bit more. You still have the choice of a 80-200mm AF-S, 70-200, VR, 70-200mm VR II and now a 70-200mm VR3 FL/E. That is 4 newer generations to choose form at different price points.

The video is weak but then i=this camera is not really aimed at that market. Its a camera for people taking stills photos.

And yes, Brexit is to blame for pricing. The D7500 is 4% more expensive than its predecessor. Any larger differences in the UK can only by attributed to forex issues, and there is one glaringly h huge reason why the pound is so weak.

Soldato

The AI indexing tab is also gone which is flipping hilarious since there is an increasing market even for amateurs to try out older lenses(look on YT and social media for example). Its just Nikon cost cutting and trying to market it as the next biggest thing thinking people will fall for it.

I don't know a single person who is interested in it TBH - one or two are now considering a D500 instead,so I assume Nikon has up-sold a few people.

The sad thing is that I just see more people with Canon dSLRs now and the thing is even though the 80D started off at a similar price it will be over a year into its life cycle by the time the D7500 has launched so will have price dropped even further now. It is already £300 to £400 cheaper than the £1300 RRP for the D7500 camera alone. You have mirrorless cameras like the XT2 which will cost the same as the D7500 and that is the highest end Fuji APS-C body with weather sealing,dual card slots,etc.

I can't see how Nikon is going to steal share from Canon TBH with this release,and Canon for whatever reason is loosing less share than Nikon is.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The memory slot is really not a deal breaker at al. Dual slots are useful for Pros, in fact it is a requirement I would say. It certainly isn't a requirement for consumers, and even serious consumers. When shooting casually I rarely have 2 cards in my D800, but when shooting a paid event there is always 2. It would be nice if they kept it but Nikon have to differentiate products so if this is a trade-off that has to be made then so be it, most people can live with that. For the people that think its a deal break then go buy the D500, its a better camera.

Removal of the AF motor is also not really an issue at all. Most of these lenses haven't been made in coming up to 30 years now. The number of people that want to use very old lenses with a brand new $1250 camera is pretty low. I used to own a 2nd hand 80-200mm AF-D and yeah it was great, but then I traded it for a used 70-200mm VR for a tiny bit more. You still have the choice of a 80-200mm AF-S, 70-200, VR, 70-200mm VR II and now a 70-200mm VR3 FL/E. That is 4 newer generations to choose form at different price points.

The video is weak but then i=this camera is not really aimed at that market. Its a camera for people taking stills photos.

And yes, Brexit is to blame for pricing. The D7500 is 4% more expensive than its predecessor. Any larger differences in the UK can only by attributed to forex issues, and there is one glaringly h huge reason why the pound is so weak.

I have to disagree, as a user of the D7xxx series myself the dual card slots are one of the primary reasons for choosing this series of camera, I don't often do professional shoots, the dual card slots are just highly desirable for personal use, and since I already have a collection of lenses the last thing I am going to do is replace them all for thousands of pounds because Nikon have made a stupid marketing decision, it would actually be a factor in potentially changing to a different system like Canon. The removal of the 2nd card slot and AF motor makes this camera an absolute deal beaker as an upgrade camera for most current D7xxx users and many D3/5xxx series users.

The 3MP downgrade in sensor resolution is also undesirable but not a deal breaker in itself.

This is perhaps the worst body release in Nikon's recent history, it is not simply a case of no real improvement on the previous models but actually a downgrade and generates negative reception for the brand which is the last thing it needs considering Nikon's recent troubles.

Now if anyone wants a dual card Nikon camera they have to get the D500 which is very expensive or the full frame D610, this would certainly put me off going the Nikon route if I was entering the SLR market.

They need to get a grip on the competition, even cheap phones these days have large high resolution displays and yet Nikon are using a tiny low res display on a brand new camera, please get into 2017 Nikon!

Last edited:
Caporegime
The AI indexing tab is also gone which is flipping hilarious since there is an increasing market even for amateurs to try out older lenses(look on YT and social media for example). Its just Nikon cost cutting and trying to market it as the next biggest thing thinking people will fall for it.

I don't know a single person who is interested in it TBH - one or two are now considering a D500 instead,so I assume Nikon has up-sold a few people.

The sad thing is that I just see more people with Canon dSLRs now and the thing is even though the 80D started off at a similar price it will be over a year into its life cycle by the time the D7500 has launched so will have price dropped even further now. It is already £300 to £400 cheaper than the £1300 RRP for the D7500 camera alone. You have mirrorless cameras like the XT2 which will cost the same as the D7500 and that is the highest end Fuji APS-C body with weather sealing,dual card slots,etc.

I can't see how Nikon is going to steal share from Canon TBH with this release,and Canon for whatever reason is loosing less share than Nikon is.

It makes perfect sense to remove the AI indexing tab if they are removing screw-drive autofocus. The number of people that actually care about such things is absolutely minute. Who is going to say $1250 for a camera and want to use $20 lenses form the 1970s?
Exactly 30 years ago Canon removed screwdrive AF and AI indexing tab. on all their future cameras. Why is it such a problem for Nikon to remove this functionality form 1 of their camera lines 30 years after their competitor?

Caporegime
I have to disagree, as a user of the D7xxx series myself the dual card slots are one of the primary reasons for choosing this series of camera, I don't often do professional shoots, the dual card slots are just highly desirable for personal use, and since I already have a collection of lenses the last thing I am going to do is replace them all for thousands of pounds because Nikon have made a stupid marketing decision, it would actually be a factor in potentially changing to a different system like Canon. The removal of the 2nd card slot and AF motor makes this camera an absolute deal beaker as an upgrade camera for most current D7xxx users and many D3/5xxx series users.

The 3MP downgrade in sensor resolution is also undesirable but not a deal breaker in itself.

This is perhaps the worst body release in Nikon's recent history, it is not simply a case of no real improvement on the previous models but actually a downgrade and generates negative reception for the brand which is the last thing it needs considering Nikon's recent troubles.

Now if anyone wants a dual card Nikon camera they have to get the D500 which is very expensive or the full frame D610, this would certainly put me off going the Nikon route if I was entering the SLR market.

They need to get a grip on the competition, even cheap phones these days have large high resolution displays and yet Nikon are using a tiny low res display on a brand new camera, please get into 2017 Nikon!

This is just mindless drivel. If you want dual card slots buy he D500, simple.

Caporegime
If you want dual card slots buy he D500, simple.

That's exactly what I said the problem is if you read what I wrote.

I'd just switch to another system instead the way others will. I'm not going to pay £1,500 to replace a £700 camera. It's not economical.

I'm just reiterating what everyone else on the web is saying, it's a crap release. You may not like that, doesn't mean it's drivel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom