Nikon D850

Soldato
I wonder if we will get an announcement for the D820 on the 25th July for the Nikon Anniversary, and if so is anyone waiting to buy one?

I've been waiting a while for the confirmed specs and really hope that Nikon get it right as the D810 was/is such an amazing camera so I'm likely to be pre-order asap.

Associate
I"ll get it in a few years time maybe. More than happy with my D750 and have no need to upgrade for a while yet. Also, a 16-35mm is higher on my wish list than a new body.

Associate
No, I bailed out on Nikon and have moved into medium format as a replacement for my D810. In the end I just couldn't be bothered waiting for a product that I think will probably only be a minor incremental improvement. I have heard rumours that the dynamic range of the D820 might be a smidge less than the D810 which, as someone who likes doing landscapes, is a bit disappointing. We will soon see ..... I'm sure it will be quite a capable beast.

Caporegime
I want to upgrade from my D610, D750 is not a worthwhile upgrade for me and the D810 is a bit dated for me to consider. But pre-order? Seems pointless really unless you get a discount.

No, I bailed out on Nikon and have moved into medium format as a replacement for my D810. In the end I just couldn't be bothered waiting for a product that I think will probably only be a minor incremental improvement. I have heard rumours that the dynamic range of the D820 might be a smidge less than the D810 which, as someone who likes doing landscapes, is a bit disappointing. We will soon see ..... I'm sure it will be quite a capable beast.

Heard rumors? The product hasn't even been announced, any rumors are not worth paying attention to at this stage.

Saying that. Nikon use sensors manufactured by Sony and since Sony cameras have not had any major improvement in DR there's no reason to expect any big improvement here, probably a small improvement in sensor performance and resolution in line with other offerings on the market. Considering the D810 has a top of the range sensor this isn't really something that Nikon need to be focusing on improving anyway all things considered.

My god though the screen does need an overhaul and considering the D750 I'm sure we can fully expect that to be revamped. A larger, brighter, higher resolution, articulating touch screen really is needed in 2017, and a UI change to fully utilise that touch screen functionality of course. Besides that we have the AF system, which while adequate, bundles the AF points in the centre of the screen, so I would not be surprised to see this improved upon. And then there is the video functionality, perhaps Nikon's single worst area of performance, dire, utterly useless video AF, needs a totally revamp and considering that Nikon don't have any reason to utterly cripple their product like Canon have done with the 6DII, 4k video recording.

I'd also be expecting wireless connectivity just to bring it in line with other modern offerings from the competition and Nikon's consumer range of cameras.

Associate
I want to upgrade from my D610, D750 is not a worthwhile upgrade for me and the D810 is a bit dated for me to consider. But pre-order? Seems pointless really unless you get a discount.

Heard rumors? The product hasn't even been announced, any rumors are not worth paying attention to at this stage.

Saying that. Nikon use sensors manufactured by Sony and since Sony cameras have not had any major improvement in DR there's no reason to expect any big improvement here, probably a small improvement in sensor performance and resolution in line with other offerings on the market. Considering the D810 has a top of the range sensor this isn't really something that Nikon need to be focusing on improving anyway all things considered.

My god though the screen does need an overhaul and considering the D750 I'm sure we can fully expect that to be revamped. A larger, brighter, higher resolution, articulating touch screen really is needed in 2017, and a UI change to fully utilise that touch screen functionality of course. Besides that we have the AF system, which while adequate, bundles the AF points in the centre of the screen, so I would not be surprised to see this improved upon. And then there is the video functionality, perhaps Nikon's single worst area of performance, dire, utterly useless video AF, needs a totally revamp and considering that Nikon don't have any reason to utterly cripple their product like Canon have done with the 6DII, 4k video recording.

I'd also be expecting wireless connectivity just to bring it in line with other modern offerings from the competition and Nikon's consumer range of cameras.

The rumour is that the D820 has had its sensor tweaked to cater more towards high ISO performance, at the expense of low ISO performance. Not good if you are a landscape or studio photographer looking at maximum IQ. I agree with you on the need for a better rear screen / live view ... I think that will be delivered if the D500 is anything to go by. Essentially, the D820 will be a full-frame version of the D500, just tailored for general photography rather than speed.

Soldato
OP

It's purely guess work the DR will be slightly less than the D810 as a trade off for High ISO etc. The DR on the D810 is amazing and I would not like to sacrifice it however it's it's not really noticable and they deliver on other things like Auto Focus etc then all good.

The rumour is that the D820 has had its sensor tweaked to cater more towards high ISO performance, at the expense of low ISO performance. Not good if you are a landscape or studio photographer looking at maximum IQ. I agree with you on the need for a better rear screen / live view ... I think that will be delivered if the D500 is anything to go by. Essentially, the D820 will be a full-frame version of the D500, just tailored for general photography rather than speed.

That's kind of what I'm expecting a FF D500, which considering how good the D500 is would be a good thing.

Associate
The rumour is that the D820 has had its sensor tweaked to cater more towards high ISO performance, at the expense of low ISO performance. Not good if you are a landscape or studio photographer looking at maximum IQ.

That doesn't make much sense, why hamper the main reason for buying that body?

Soldato
OP
That doesn't make much sense, why hamper the main reason for buying that body?

Because it will be the slight trade off for high ISO performance on what is probably going to be a 42MP sensor. As long as the trade off is kept to a minimum ie most people wont notice then it's fine if it excels in other areas. I wouldn't be too happy if the trade off is big as the DR of the D810 is one of the reasons I think its such an amazing camera.

Hopefully we will find out within a couple of weeks but maybe that's wishful thinking.

Associate

Sounds similar to the canon ^D MkII situation !

Soldato

Medium format for dynamic range? Only the Sony CMOS sensors (as of today, IMX161 and IMX211) can do on par with the D810's sensor (IMX094). Furthermore, if you do long exposure, then IMX211 is susceptible to red shadow cast. All CCD sensors can forget about competing dynamic range against the D810 - it's like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Soldato
OP
Well not the full details I expected today but Nikon have confirmed it will be the D850 and I expect we will get the full specs during this week or certainly within a couple of weeks.

The video they released shows that it has 8K timelapse capability and the video was shot entirely on a D850 which indicates it will have amazing low light capabilities. Other than than thet they are keeping us guessing a bit longer.

“Nikon is pleased to announce the development of the next frontier in full-frame, high-resolution, high-speed digital SLR cameras with the upcoming release of the highly anticipated Nikon D850.

The D850 will be a formidable tool for those who will not compromise on exceptional image quality and versatility, including aspiring and professional photographers, and hobbyists who capture landscapes, commercial sports, fashion and weddings, as well as multimedia content creators.

The D850 follows on from the D810, which was highly praised for its extremely sharp and clear rendering, and rich tone characteristics. The D850 will be a powerful new full-frame FX-format digital SLR camera, engineered with a range of new technologies, features and performance enhancements that are a direct result of feedback from users over the years, who demand the very best from their camera equipment.

The D850 will exceed the expectations of the vast range of photographers who seek high resolution and high speed capabilities that only a Nikon of this calibre, complemented by NIKKOR lenses, can offer.”

Last edited:
Associate
This announcement was a bit of an anti-climax. Nikon developing a replacement for the D810 ? Hardly a surprise. The fact that they have gone with "850" rather than "820" makes me wonder if this camera is to be a replacement for both the D750 and D810. This video also confirms the suspicions that the new camera will be tweaked towards better low-light performance , most likely at the expense of low ISO capabilities.

And, @voidshatter ... you're wrong I'm afraid, my DMF has better dynamic range than the D810.

Associate
Soldato
OP
This announcement was a bit of an anti-climax. Nikon developing a replacement for the D810 ? Hardly a surprise. The fact that they have gone with "850" rather than "820" makes me wonder if this camera is to be a replacement for both the D750 and D810. This video also confirms the suspicions that the new camera will be tweaked towards better low-light performance , most likely at the expense of low ISO capabilities.

And, @voidshatter ... you're wrong I'm afraid, my DMF has better dynamic range than the D810.

They often announce it as in development then shortly after do the full specs.. they did it with the D5. I would expect the official specs within a month but I was rather hoping to be pressing the preorder button yesterday :(

The bit that surprised me was them stating commercial sports, gives an indication that it will be getting a great auto focus and a bit of speed!

With reference the GFX 50S that is a Medium Format and it costs £6000 it's also not as good as the Phase One IQ3...

Soldato
I

I'm currently using a GFX 50S.

Here's a link comparing the DR of the D810 to the GFX 50S ( you'll need to select the cameras in the drop down menu on the right ). In my real life experience the difference feels even greater .... but that's not to diminish the DR of the D810. It does have an excellent sensor.
http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Pentax 645Z,Sony ILCE-7RII

GFX 50s uses the Sony IMX161 sensor. Go back and read my post again before relying to me.

Soldato
OP
It might have focus peaking apparently.

Pictures have been leaked and that is the rumour. It looks like the built in flash has gone and they have made way for a Hybrid EVF/Optical!

If thats proves correct that is a great move by Nikon. I don't usually look forward to new cameras as such, especially when you consider what a mediocre upgrade canon did with the 5D4 but I have a feeling Nikon are going to nail it with this one.

Other things from the leaks:

Touch Screen
Tilt Screen
Illuminated Buttons

So far everything I wanted.... lets see what the specs are :)

Back
Top Bottom