Nissan Qashqai (2014)

Caporegime
Btw regarding stop/start there are often a list of conditions that must be met. Engine must be x temperature. Must not be on an incline. Yada yada. It's not unusual for it not to kick in.

Soldato
Looks good in that colour

Whats the warranty like assuming it was from a main dealer? 1 year manufacturer warranty but any options to extend it and did you?

Just considering the Pulsar as a potential next car

Soldato
OP
Looks good in that colour

Whats the warranty like assuming it was from a main dealer? 1 year manufacturer warranty but any options to extend it and did you?

Just considering the Pulsar as a potential next car

Not a main dealer but 1 year with the dealer I got it from. Will consider extension when I get to next year. Depends on what warranty company it is and what the price is like.

Soldato
Btw regarding stop/start there are often a list of conditions that must be met. Engine must be x temperature. Must not be on an incline. Yada yada. It's not unusual for it not to kick in.

In summer - aircon is the number one reason but people think why hasn't it kicked in. Same in my 3008SUV.

Soldato
How's the Qashqai treating you? We're coming to the conclusion that our current cars are not suited for family life so we're after a new motor. I like the look of these, but I'm struggling to get a facelift with sat nav within our £11,00 budget. Upping it to £13,000 gives more options, but that brings offerings from more upmarket manufacturers into the fold. I'd rather not finance a new car.

Did you look at a Sportage in the end? That would be our other choice I think. Did you consider anything else? Did you end up with a 2014 in the end?

Last edited:
Soldato
How's the Qashqai treating you? We're coming to the conclusion that our current cars are not suited for family life so we're after a new motor. I like the look of these, but I'm struggling to get a facelift with sat nav within our £11,00 budget. Upping it to £13,000 gives more options, but that brings offerings from more upmarket manufacturers into the fold. I'd rather not finance a new car.

Did you look at a Sportage in the end? That would be our other choice I think. Did you consider anything else? Did you end up with a 2014 in the end?

How is your search going? I liked the look of the Sportage but I think that was pre-2014 models, I really dislike the newer shape.

I've just sold my 2013 Qashqai+2 360 (pre-facelift) for £11k - autotrader suggested it was worth closer to 10k. Owned it for just under 2 years, but since it was such a decent family car/motorway runner, I'm planning to replace it with a newer, more economical Qashqai (2014/15) which should give me even better mpg and as a small bonus has no tax. I am obviously going from a 7 to a 5 seater but we found we could get by quite easily most of the time without the 2 small seats in the back.

Is there anything else in the 11/12k price range I should consider? I do around 15-18k miles per year, mostly motorway driving. Fortunately, I'm rarely if ever sat in traffic which is a huge bonus, it's probably why I can do the 400 mile weekly commute quite comfortably. Want to be averaging 60mpg+ if possible.

Soldato
OP

I'm very happy with it, the 1.2 Petrol suits my needs perfectly. I'll have it away and on the motorways in October so will see how it gets on with that then.

I'll be honest and say I was looking in the higher bracket. I had around 16-17k to spend so my requirements would be a little different to yours. The Qashqai was all out better for the money when you want HID/LED Headlights, panoramic roof, auto everything and all those toys.

I looked at lots, Ssyangyong, Mazda CXs, Seat Alteca, VW Toureg, Golfs, Yetis, Sportbacks, New sportage.

If I were in your shoes I'd be looking for a nearly new Sportage. I didn't go for a brand new GT Line because it still had halogen Headlights and you cannot spec options with Kia (groan) Excellent value force money in terms of equipment though.

I've got one daughter and so far the boot has been okay. More than 1 kid and you're going to need something else. More money but you can get the Nissan Xtrail in face-lift which looks just as smart as the Qashqai.

Soldato
We looked at Sportage. Couldn't get one in the right spec for the money we had to spend (£11K). That budget wouldn't stretch to a facelift Qashqai and we didn't want the early one.

Ended up going for a Hyundai IX35. It has the premium and media pack, so has Nav, reverse camera, all heated seats, dual climate, Bluetooth, twin sunroof etc etc. It's a nice bit of kit and quite nice to drive. It's actually a Sportage underneath so very similar in many ways but the IX35 had a better spec for similar money.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies @Sin_Chase, @e36Adz and @Phil W! We'll hopefully have a bit more time over the next couple of weeks to do some test driving. I do like the new Qashqai, but they're commanding decent money if the facelift and some kit are requirements. The Sportage looks good, but £11k doesn't get you the latest shape, which I don't mind as I prefer the looks of the old one, however they're not all that well specified at this money. I'll have to have a look at the IX35 as that could be where the sensible money is. My wife makes the excellent point that we can't own a car that's totally hateful to drive and be in, even if it is really practical, so I'm insisting on a few creature comforts like a built in sat nav and DAB radio.

However - with £11k in mind I can't help notice that you can get quite a lot of BMW 3 series or Audi A4 for your cash. If I start to push the budget to get a newer small SUV type car at £16-17k then you're almost in a 5 series! We don't do that many miles, so a larger engine wouldn't be too much of a problem. Servicing is of course more expensive!

Soldato
I love driving the IX35. It's got a great turning circle and it's a comfortable, nice place to me.

Go see/drive one and see what you think! They didn't really facelift them as such so a 2011 looks the same as a 2015 - only difference being wheel colour, DRL's and slightly different rear lights (illumination pattern). Premiums also came with media pack as standard rather than an option, too.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies @Sin_Chase, @e36Adz and @Phil W! We'll hopefully have a bit more time over the next couple of weeks to do some test driving. I do like the new Qashqai, but they're commanding decent money if the facelift and some kit are requirements. The Sportage looks good, but £11k doesn't get you the latest shape, which I don't mind as I prefer the looks of the old one, however they're not all that well specified at this money. I'll have to have a look at the IX35 as that could be where the sensible money is. My wife makes the excellent point that we can't own a car that's totally hateful to drive and be in, even if it is really practical, so I'm insisting on a few creature comforts like a built in sat nav and DAB radio.

However - with £11k in mind I can't help notice that you can get quite a lot of BMW 3 series or Audi A4 for your cash. If I start to push the budget to get a newer small SUV type car at £16-17k then you're almost in a 5 series! We don't do that many miles, so a larger engine wouldn't be too much of a problem. Servicing is of course more expensive!

Just to note regarding the premium brands, yes OK they are in budget but they will be:

Older
Higher mileage
Lower spec

We have a 62 plate qashqai which now. You little daughter is requiring less things to be carted about proving to be an excellent car.

We have had it around 4 years now and it really has been excellent. In fact at the 3 year point we couldn't find anything to replace it with in budget and that wouldn't be a sidestep so we bought it out of the finance agreement.

Soldato
Just to note regarding the premium brands, yes OK they are in budget but they will be:

Older
Higher mileage
Lower spec

We have a 62 plate qashqai which now. You little daughter is requiring less things to be carted about proving to be an excellent car.

We have had it around 4 years now and it really has been excellent. In fact at the 3 year point we couldn't find anything to replace it with in budget and that wouldn't be a sidestep so we bought it out of the finance agreement.

Small SUV/crossover type cars are so popular that they're holding their value much better than saloons. The price difference between a similarly specced 3 series or A4 and a Qashqai or Sportage is surprisingly little (or nothing if willing to travel to find one). Anyway, if I really were buying with my sensible hat on I'd be looking at an Octavia or Superb estate but this doesn't fit the style criteria for the wife unfortunately.

Soldato
Small SUV/crossover type cars are so popular that they're holding their value much better than saloons. The price difference between a similarly specced 3 series or A4 and a Qashqai or Sportage is surprisingly little (or nothing if willing to travel to find one). Anyway, if I really were buying with my sensible hat on I'd be looking at an Octavia or Superb estate but this doesn't fit the style criteria for the wife unfortunately.

To be honest I was surprised at the quote Webuyanycar was offering for the car of £8k add on maybe £1k or so for private sale the car has depreciated around £6k in the 4 years we have owned the car.

On another note I have a Superb estate, so currently have best of both worlds. If it helps sway the wife, any family trips out, shopping or weekends away the Superb is the go to vehicle everytime. This is purely down to size, comfort and practicality with the daughter.

Soldato
Most important thing for me really is the fuel economy. My old QQ+2 was giving me just under 50mpg average, I'm hoping the newer 'lighter' model gives me closer to 60mpg. I like the look of the IX35 but on paper it isn't as economical.

I think I've narrowed my search down to: 2014 Qashqai Acenta Premium, they sit slap bang in my price range (11-12k). They come with the keyless entry, lane departure warning, pano roof, satnav etc etc. There are quite a few with 20-30k miles, 1 owner, for ~£12k.

Does anyone know much about ex-motability vehicles? I've seen a 2014 premium model with 1 previous owner, 23k miles on the clock, 6 months warranty, 12 months AA cover. It's 170 miles away so I can't just pop down for a quick look, but they sent me loads more pictures over today and it looks in very good condition - aside from some scratches on the driver side when you open the door, inside sill area. The seller reckons the previous owner possibly used a wheelchair so that may have been up very close to the vehicle as he/she would enter and exit the vehicle hence causing the scratches. Other than that the interior looks mint as does the exterior unfortunately the pics on trader aren't very good.

It's this one: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ation=at_cars&fuel-consumption=OVER_60&page=1

Soldato
My dad has a motabilty Qashqui. It's his third motabilty car, he's had a Merc and a Mazda 6. I think he gets a new vehicle every 3 years. They were all brand new cars, every year the dealer would take away the car to check it over so they were well looked after.

Soldato
We have a 1.5dci tekna 14plate and the stop start has never kicked in. I thought that was due to it being a diesel and not actually having the feature but surprised that yours doesn't work either.

Edit. Why didn't you wait for the new qashqai?

Soldato
My dad has a motabilty Qashqui. It's his third motabilty car, he's had a Merc and a Mazda 6. I think he gets a new vehicle every 3 years. They were all brand new cars, every year the dealer would take away the car to check it over so they were well looked after.

Ah right, that would make sense as the above is 3 years old so the previous owner probably got a new car. From your knowledge is it possible the vehicle may have been modified in any way?

Soldato
It'll be interesting to see how the prices change once the 2014 cars on 14 and 64 plates come off their finance/motability deals. I struggled to find a facelift Qashqai with a sat nav for my budget, but there might be a few more around in the coming months.

The ix35 on the other hand seems to be easy to get hold of for the money. It would also have some manufacturer warranty left.

I drove a 1.7 diesel Sportage yesterday and although we didn't exactly get up to any serious speed it seemed perfectly fine engine wise. I don't mind the interior and the panoramic sunroof was rather nice.

All much of a muchness and I need to avoid falling into the trap of just spending a little more and a little more to get a newer/better one.

Back
Top Bottom