• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

No cards anywhere?... (Of any kind)

Caporegime
Sony said they sold over 4m PS5's since launch which is about 1m per month produced. They needed to make a lot more per month though since there are over 150m PS4 owners ready to upgrade.

Problem is all the parts inside it are amd in terms of processor and gpu.

Both and processors and gpu in the pc market have been hard to get a hold of and therefore I don't see Ps5 being in stock ready to buy for the average person for at least 2 years.

They are still selling for £1000 on the black market

Caporegime
Yes, at RRP many of these cards are paying for themselves in a matter of months at current mining rates.

When things are effectively free at RRP, they sell out pretty quickly :p

Best bet is just to sell up any existing components and grab a pre built system as they still seem to be on the more reasonable side of things price wise.

Permabanned
NVIDIA is going slowly mad dreaming about all the GPU's it could sell if only it actually had any. They also realise that the crypto-currency market could change any moment and when it does there will be a glut of second hand cards on ebay, and each and every one that sells to a gamer who hasn't been able to buy a new card, will be a sale they have lost.

Soldato
The problem is the market is open to all sorts now.

Pre pandemic, it was mostly people who wanting a GPU for gaming. Now you have in the mix miners again, but also scalpers. If OcUK released a batch of 3080's tomorrow, you'd have people buying one knowing they can sell it tomorrow for a decent profit.

Don't expect things to get better this year, it'll be 2022 before we start seeing normality.

Associate
NVIDIA is going slowly mad dreaming about all the GPU's it could sell if only it actually had any. They also realise that the crypto-currency market could change any moment and when it does there will be a glut of second hand cards on ebay, and each and every one that sells to a gamer who hasn't been able to buy a new card, will be a sale they have lost.

That's the real problem - zero stock in the stores means people are paying over the odds for used cards. That is going to make a big hole in the target market, as people will either be happy with their used card or will have to take a hit if they resell it and pay the upgrade tax.

Permabanned
The problem is the market is open to all sorts now.

Pre pandemic, it was mostly people who wanting a GPU for gaming. Now you have in the mix miners again, but also scalpers. If OcUK released a batch of 3080's tomorrow, you'd have people buying one knowing they can sell it tomorrow for a decent profit.

Don't expect things to get better this year, it'll be 2022 before we start seeing normality.

I was initially thinking June but there is no hope of that any more. I think you are probably right in that we are talking at least 3rd quarter of this year, if not 2022 now. Ah well.

Soldato
I was initially thinking June but there is no hope of that any more. I think you are probably right in that we are talking at least 3rd quarter of this year, if not 2022 now. Ah well.

I stated a while back the issue with the gpu shortages would go on till the summer and slowly improve from there, BUT, I can't see that happening now if the current situation with miners continues. Gonna stick my neck out here say it'll be another 12 months at least before theres any improvement with supply and prices.

Soldato
Problem is all the parts inside it are amd in terms of processor and gpu.

Both and processors and gpu in the pc market have been hard to get a hold of and therefore I don't see Ps5 being in stock ready to buy for the average person for at least 2 years.

They are still selling for £1000 on the black market

Fyi - this weeks ps5 stock drop has corrected its price back to £475

Associate
FYI China runs 70% of the worlds bitcoin mining. There has been some moves towards a crack down of miners by the Chinese gov thats correct but i have my doubts that it will happen.

It can't really just move anywhere, it needs combination of cheap energy and cool local temps.

But who knows, guess there is hope that supply will start to eat slowly away from the demand.
I was reading that a lot of this has todo with Huaweis bloackage of being allowed to use TSMC, and Chinas creation of its home grown fab SMIC, apprently US sanctions against China are a big factor in the current climate, as they blocking accss to silcon wafers i believe?
Maybe someone can speak to that,, but i think around 4 companies make 70% of the decent wafers? (Decent as in the wafers that can be used for 7nm chips).
I don't know, i am no expect, but would love for a decent publication like anandtech or gamers nexus to really dig into things.

Back
Top Bottom