Noctua NH-D15 G2 finally launched

Soldato

It's finally launched, not listed at OCUK yet but is in stock elsewhere.

Not cheap looking at £130.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Shame there’s no chromax version yet!

From their subreddit:

The chromax version is currently scheduled for Q1/Q2 2025.
The reason why it is coming later than the regular version is that we need new injection moulding toolings for the black version, and we have to make sure that mass production is running stable before we can initiate the manufacturing and validation process for further toolings.

Associate
I tried the offset mount on the U12A and was able to get my 7950X (when set to default rather than at 105W ECO mode), to push to 5.1Ghz all cores up from 4.8-4.9Ghz all cores when testing on Cinebench r23. Whilst kicking the max temp threshold of 95C. At 105W ECO mode, there was little temp difference at all, but at full throttle, it was able to hit a higher speed from the temps it could reach at those speeds.

Given the D15 G2 now has more heatpipes, fin density and a better fan, I can certainly see it improving on things even further for the full load temps or speeds. Although not by much, but enough for it to have been noticeable. And of course, the new A14x25 g2 r fans should in theory have a lower noise output as well. But as for whether that would be worth the price increase would be down to each person.

I was going to grab the D15 G2, either for my existing 7950X setup or the newer one later this year, but given the U12A is more than able to keep the existing system cool at ECO mode and I don't have much reason to go full throttle at this time, I think it'll be got for the new system, and when the thermal siphon gets released, I'll swap to those then.

Should be interesting to see all the testing done.

Associate
Now watch it only match the [insert dual tower Thermalright cooler here] for 3x the cost. The fan performance should be interesting though, hopefully it is better than the SW4 140 and Toughfan Pro 140.

Soldato
It doesn't realy look like a good value for money proposition for the average user.
And I say this as someone who runs both nhd15 in my main rig and a thermalright in my secondary rig.

I've not watched the GN review but I'd be more interested in the acoustics.. My thermalright does tend to reverberate a bit when It's at pretty much zero load.
But I suppose that's very objective depending on the rest of the case fans etc.

Soldato
I suppose it's the sheer amount of R&D that goes into them, that comes at a huge cost to the company.

I'll be honest and say my thermalrlight is almost as good, but it does have more reverberation, it's louder, there's no question, but it's less than half the price and that's imposible to ignore.

Associate
I’ve been out of the loop with pc components for a good 6 years ish. To my shock that Noctua’s flagships are selling for £150 now?!?!?
$150/£128

In the past couple of years Thermalright have sort of taken over the CPU air cooling market, releasing loads of different designs with performance that matched or beat the previous flagships for a fraction of the cost. Nobody can compete with them on price, they design and manufacture everything themselves in China and must have razor thin profit margins. The type of person who buys a £100 Noctua over a £30 Thermalright is still going to go for a £128 Noctua.

Last edited:
Associate
$150/£128

In the past couple of years Thermalright have sort of taken over the CPU air cooling market, releasing loads of different designs with performance that matched or beat the previous flagships for a fraction of the cost. Nobody can compete with them on price, they design and manufacture everything themselves in China and must have razor thin profit margins. The type of person who buys a £100 Noctua over a £30 Thermalright is still going to go for a £128 Noctua.
:) I stand corrected. I’ve watched a YouTube vid about Thermalright saturating the market with product and self designed and manufacture. It’s good on them, can only benefit the consumer.

I dug up some old receipts and found I paid £60 for my NH-D15S back in 2017. Also paid £20 for an extra A14 fan. So I paid £80 for the equivalent flagship, inflation is a b…

Soldato
:) I stand corrected. I’ve watched a YouTube vid about Thermalright saturating the market with product and self designed and manufacture. It’s good on them, can only benefit the consumer.

I dug up some old receipts and found I paid £60 for my NH-D15S back in 2017. Also paid £20 for an extra A14 fan. So I paid £80 for the equivalent flagship, inflation is a b…

Inflation or not i don't think it warrants its new $150 price tag. Some die hard fans will buy it but it really is turning into snake oil with very very small increments in improvement.

Back
Top Bottom