Noctua NH-D15 G2 finally launched

It would be interesting to see some long term tests on noctua fans...

A big part of their appeal, and expensive price is they put a lot of R&D into fan design...

I mean tower style heat sinks basically are what they are aside from overall size and number of heat pipes... So I don't think there's much that can be done to improve air coolers in future from that respect.
Do they?
At first I thought they did a lot of R&D, but I do wonder.
Crazy high priced with very few improvements reaching consumer makes me wonder how much is actual R&D and how much is hype.

As for future improvement, while things have definitely slowed down compared to say 10 years ago, we are seeing some significant improvements in last 6 months or so with new Thermalright coolers like Frost Vortex 140 SE, and several others, like Cryorig OE10 and TE10 from Thermalright,

Last edited:
Do they?
At first I thought they did a lot of R&D, but I do wonder.
Crazy high priced with very few improvements reaching consumer makes me wonder how much is actual R&D and how much is hype.

As for future improvement, while things have definitely slowed down compared to say 10 years ago, we are seeing some significant improvements in last 6 months or so with new Thermalright coolers like Frost Vortex 140 SE, and several other like new Cryorig OE10 and TE10,

Well I wouldn't like to say too strongly either way as I just don't know.
Noctua do seem to be a benchmark brand that eventually others can copy for much cheaper as the hard work has already been done. Maybe.

Well I wouldn't like to say too strongly either way as I just don't know.
Noctua do seem to be a benchmark brand that eventually others can copy for much cheaper as the hard work has already been done. Maybe.
They have a reputation of being a "benchmark brand" that started way back 2007-2010 with NH-D14 and NF-A14 fan. Cooler evolved into |NH-D15, and now gen 2. NF-A14 fan has changed a little .. and they have come out with the very good NF-A12x25.
Others like Thermalright has come out with many more good coolers and fans in same time frame,

When you have a GPU like a 4090FE mounted in a standard ‘slotted into the motherboard orientation’ (horizontal), doesn’t the hot air from that just blow upwards directly into the front intake of the DH15? Is this an issue?

That’s what it looks like…

Last edited:
When you have a GPU like a 4090FE mounted in a standard ‘slotted into the motherboard orientation’ (horizontal), doesn’t the hot air from that just blow upwards directly into the front intake of the DH15? Is this an issue?

That’s what it looks like…

That would be the same scenario with any tower type cpu cooler I'd imagine

I like Noctua and having dealt with them on several occasions, I find them to be one of the better companies in terms of how they deal with their customers. But I purchased a Thermalright tower cooler a while back for circa £16 and whilst the packaging and documentation was pretty basic, I was impressed by what you got for the money. The equivalent Noctua would have been the NH-U9S for £60 and there's simply no way the Noctua is 44 pounds worth of better. Even the mounting systems of cheap alternatives seem to have caught up and aren't as fiddly.

The G2 was always going to be a pricey product but it's sitting around where I would have thought the Chromax version would have been. To think that could be £20-30 more than the standard G2 is a bit eye-watering to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom