Noctua's massive 1.5Kg fanless cooler goes into mass production

Associate
With this on a low power CPU, a Fanless PSU, SSD, a Fanless GPU like the Palit Kalmx 1650 (no stocks anywhere for 9 months now), you can get some decent gaming going at zero extra sound being produced from the system. Always wanted to try a fully zero fan (no noise) system to compare to liquid and air cooled setups to really see where the differences are.

Soldato
I'm curious just for the sheer possibilities/impressiveness, but honestly... People who think their CPU fans are an issue surprise me. It's been several builds now since I got to the point where spinning hard drives were the loudest component and were removed.

Edit: should point out I've used the custom graphics card heatsinks, passive arrangements, fanless CPU cooler etc so I do like the setup. Just think it's been possible for a while already.

Associate
OP
https://www.fanlesstech.com/2021/06/noctuas-nh-p1-is-official.html

The NH-P1 is our very first passive cooler, and it should be easy to see that we didn’t just take a regular heatsink and omit the fan”, says Roland Mossig (Noctua CEO). “A lot of engineering work went into designing this unit for fanless operation from the ground up and we’re truly proud of the end result. In our completely fanless demo system, the NH-P1 cools an Intel Core i9-11900K running Prime95 at more than 3.6GHz – this is a lot of processing power and a whopping 125W kept in check with zero fan noise!

The NH-P1 is 158 x 154 x 152 mm and 1180 g (slightly lighter than expected). This historic product is available right now for $109.90 and 109,90 euros.

Soldato
It was always going to be disappointing when used on a regular CPU. Back in my reviewing days, I used to test all the coolers passively and funnily enough, all the top end coolers worked perfectly even with a 4Ghz i7 920. But the important thing was having airflow, which makes the whole search for silence somewhat redundant. Thermalright designed the Macho to be a passive cooler in a similar fashion but obviously worked much better with fans. Unless you are using a low TDP CPU, these passive coolers are pointless. The best solution is a regular dual tower heatsink with some low RPM fans.

Associate
OP
Yeah you can somewhat undervolt the Intel CPUs to tweak the temps a fair amount. I think I'll stick with my Le Grand Macho RT with fan for now, when its not mining/gaming my whole system is pretty quiet.

Soldato
I had a ginormous heatsink back in the day with my athlon XP. I undervolted a 120mm fan to 5V and did the same to the PSU using noctuaS? from dorothybradbury.com (what ever happend to her? was it a person or just a business name? ) Was a really nice very near silent system but eventually cooked it self after a year or 2.

So i am v. interested in this. anything other than silent is too loud!

Soldato
You could still use a 5950x/5900x with this passive cooler, you just have to go into the BIOS and set the CPU to run in power saving mode which limits it to 65w.

that's what this heatsink is designed for, silent cooling on 65w CPU's

Back
Top Bottom