Noisy HDD change

Associate
I've spent the last few weeks getting annoyed at what at first I assumed was fan noise from my power supply ( as the noise was coming from the power supply shroud) to the point I've almost went out and bought a new one. Now it's not a horribly loud noise but just a quiet but constant spinning which happens to be the loudest thing in my case.

Since swapping to a new case it turns out it's my Seagate 2tb HDD, unplug it and he noise goes away and the pc it's practically silent. Tried a old 300gb drive I had living around and it didn't have the second noise. Even taking it out the cage to ensure it wasn't just vibrating didn't help so I'm thinking of picking up a new one.

Are there any recommendations for a new HDD. 2tb is enough but something that is nice and quiet, it's just used for mass storage and I don't fancy paying out for a large SSD.

Associate
OP
Seagate Barracuda or the Ironwolf series. Drives get noisy over time depending on how much they are used, will be swapping my old 2tb out shortly for a 4tb ironwolf.
Thanks, it's a seagate that's in there but will be pretty old, it came with a second hand pc I bought.

Is it true that 2.5"HDDs tend to run quieter?

Don
The only true way to stop noise from hard drives is to put them in a NAS in another room.

If you have a virtually silent house, you'll always hear a hard drive in a room.

Associate
OP
Well new HD is hear. Definitely an improvement that's for sure. But your right can still hear it so not complete silence but I'm happy.
Old one must have been clearly on its way out, somehow lost my steam library just last week.

Last edited:
Associate
Would have been good to see the stats on it eg how old it really was, pon/poff , in use hours etc.
Extra noise from a hard disc is a really bad sign .. really bad. I would have been buying a new disc the minute it happened.

Back
Top Bottom