Nokia 9 Pureview

Soldato
Been behaving myself of late, put a halt on the phone upgrades/purchases and was content with my Note 9 and still aim to be honest but had to pre-order the Nokia 9.

Have a real soft spot for Nokia, having owned a good amount of Nokia phones over the years, personal favourites being the N9, 808 and 1020 so somewhat of a sentimental purchase. Hopefully though it'll be an interesting device with the potential for capturing good images. Definitely has a lot of heritage to live up to.

pre-order was £549 from Nokia , distributor DigitalRiver same as HTC devices. Funnily enough bit of a HTC fan also ,must love the underdogs.

Associate
According to this video it's going to be a limited release. A stock android experience with a unique camera system for £549? That's going to sell out, possibly. It's got my attention!

Associate
Lack of headphone jack, lack of expandable storage (on a phone which shoots large RAW images), lack of a dedicated shutter button, and I saw one preview that mentioned that it's still slow when processing, which was one of the disadvantages 6 years ago with the 808/1020. You'd have thought there'd be some processing advantages with today's SoCs. Why can they never get it right?

Soldato
I just want a "camera phone" with non digital zoom.
I believe it's slowly happening but it's using two different lenses so, so it's a fixed zoom.

(Not been keeping up with news since my s8+)

Soldato
OP
Yeah some of the sample shots released have been hit and miss and I wasn't too bowled over of the 'old man of storr' shot that is doing the rounds, it did seem a little washed.

I'm sure there's plenty of potential in the device, both 808 and 1020 received the same mixed reception on release, and this won't appeal to everyone either.

It's a shame about missing sdcard, maybe financial to keep the cost down or something to do with the main board design, not sure, definitely would have been better.

Last edited:
Soldato
You know what I'm close to actually preordering the phone out of sheer curiosities sake...I had a Nokia 1020 way back and remember how good that camera was, just intrigued by this set up.

That plus pure android on another option is always welcome.

Soldato
Guess the big question is whether this camera setup is actually worth it or this is merely an over engineered solution and marketing gimmick. Imagine bokeh will be great but whether this adds any "depth" is the question. Low light performance should be pretty good too theoretically.

Rest of the phone looks pretty solid though, last year's SoC but for £549 RRP and free wireless headphones you can't grumble. Any reviews of those around yet to know what the quality is like?

Soldato
OP
In all my years of pre-ordering a phone I've never had a release date pushed forward. Nice surprise then from Nokia, emailing to inform me its moved from 18th to 6th of March. Should be with me tomorrow then.

Associate
The samples posted over the web last night don't really seem too appealing. Very flat and dull.

That's been commented by a few of the early opinions on it. That being said, its not really a bad thing ... you can generally get more out of the image with post processing when its like that. The phrase was along the lines of 'great for images you want to work with later'.

Soldato
OP
Well no dispatch email last night and my order status hasn't been updated so maybe got excited for sod all :)

Thank you for ordering from Nokia phones shop. We wanted to let you know that the release date for your pre-ordered product has changed. The following product will now be available on 06 March 2019.

Order Number
XXXXXXXXXX
Product ID
Product Name
D | Nokia 9 | GB | Blue | 128GB | Single SIM | Batch 1

Soldato
Would be great to see some sample shots when you get it.

I'm keeping my eye on this as my current phone has had it but I also need a decent camera for product photos. Options at the min are buying a cheap phone and a budget DSLR or buying this (or the Huawei P20 with the fancy camera).

Back
Top Bottom