Nokia 9 Pureview

Soldato
In the market for a new phone in the coming months, and was quite tempted by this, but I've been very underwhelmed by the sample shots. I don't want to have to shoot RAW and PP myself to get nice shots (I've got a full frame digital camera already for that), so I'm leaning towards a Pixel 2 XL instead as their image processing voodoo seems much more useful. That and I don't much care for the notch trend.

Soldato
OP
Personally I tend to end up adjusting images myself anyway as most devices I've had seem to over process images .

The u11/12+ though seemed to produce the most natural colours , what you saw is what you got kind of thing and not something tailored for the small screen or Instagram.

On a side note, no word from Nokia about the early release following on from the email. Resigned myself back to a delivery date of the 18th.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine arrived this morning :p

WfEPEfL.jpg
6ZJtq0q

Soldato
OP
Lol lucky sod, too many lenses though.

Still no update from Nokia regarding the delivery, Amazon have a launch of the 21st though. I'll be a bit miffed if it's available from Amazon before I get mine.

Shipped today ( 11th ) from Holland.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Interesting, DHL are delivering mine tomorrow so will check their issues with the camera app and see if they ring true.

More folk on Twitter, XDA forums pointing out flaws, generally pointing towards poor software as in the AA review and bemoaning the 'point and click' results. I'd imagine to get the best out of this you'll definitely need to work with your images a la 808, 1020.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm sure they can make point and click better with software updates, almost sounds rushed but could just be an isolated review. Fingerprint sensor is more of a worry if it's a hardware end that's lacking, not sure I'd be willing to go back to pin code on a flagship device like the article suggests.

Soldato
I'm glad I went for the S10 in the end, it isn't sounding as promising any more than it did.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts mate...can see the camera getting better through software updates but that finger print reader sounds awful.

Soldato
OP
Some quick impressions.

Build quality is quite good, it's lightness robs it of the same premium feel as my Note 9 though but no complaints about the display or the ergonomics of the device, although the mono speaker is a little underwhelming.

The fingerprint reader seems to be responding okay for me, the majority of the time anyway, round about a 70-80% success rate. My first experience of an under the screen reader so I don't have anything to make any direct comparisons with but the rear reader on the Note 9 is instant, the Nokia definitely takes longer, it's a fraction of a second but it's noticeable.

Played with the camera a bit, just to get a feel for it and the app and can appreciate peoples issues with the responsiveness of the software, lag switching between modes is quite noticeable. I haven't tried editing any RAW images yet, it was my understanding the Lightroom app was included as default but I can't find it so can't comment on the responsiveness while editing RAW images.

Hopefully tomorrow i'll get some time to test the camera out , but my initial impressions mirror what most reviewers are saying, that it definitely needs some tweaking to meet it's potential.

dn5NwSLl.jpg
1dVGlSyl.jpg

**Lr app needs to be installed during setup
**Make sure to turn on 'depth' in the camera options, three vertical lines with a diagonal intersecting them. Again haven't made an attempt to take any serious images but just playing around with the depth options, blur, focusing etc and starting to get impressed, particularly with the sharpness of the focused objects. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Some quick impressions.

Build quality is quite good, it's lightness robs it of the same premium feel as my Note 9 though but no complaints about the display or the ergonomics of the device, although the mono speaker is a little underwhelming.

The fingerprint reader seems to be responding okay for me, the majority of the time anyway, round about a 70-80% success rate. My first experience of an under the screen reader so I don't have anything to make any direct comparisons with but the rear reader on the Note 9 is instant, the Nokia definitely takes longer, it's a fraction of a second but it's noticeable.

Played with the camera a bit, just to get a feel for it and the app and can appreciate peoples issues with the responsiveness of the software, lag switching between modes is quite noticeable. I haven't tried editing any RAW images yet, it was my understanding the Lightroom app was included as default but I can't find it so can't comment on the responsiveness while editing RAW images.

Hopefully tomorrow i'll get some time to test the camera out , but my initial impressions mirror what most reviewers are saying, that it definitely needs some tweaking to meet it's potential.

dn5NwSLl.jpg
1dVGlSyl.jpg

**Lr app needs to be installed during setup
**Make sure to turn on 'depth' in the camera options, three vertical lines with a diagonal intersecting them. Again haven't made an attempt to take any serious images but just playing around with the depth options, blur, focusing etc and starting to get impressed, particularly with the sharpness of the focused objects. :)

How quick from taking photo does it appear on screen , I've read that depending on settings this can take up to 10 seconds or more .

Soldato
OP
If you've got depth on, I've noticed processing can take a few seconds, never been more than 3-4 for me personally but it's noticeable. As is switching from any other mode to 'Pro' , takes 1-2 seconds for the camera to kick in. App crashed for the first time today, was on full power too so their claim about low voltages ( low battery ) obviously never applied in this instance.

Last time I scoured XDA people weren't too favourable about it's low light performance, so maybe not the best for night shots.

Some sample pictures from a Fin given early access.

Forgot to add finding the screen is too small for editing depth , they really need to add this to Google Photos ( online ).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
He's get a bit carried away with PP for my liking, but it's a good video showcasing the Nokia 9. Taken some images myself but with mixed results, I'm finding after tweaking them on the phone and then looking at the results on the desktop that they don't like half as good, nothing any other phone would struggle to replicate. And that's the dilemma I have at the moment, will I get the most out of it, will the images be beyond anything else I could get on my Note 9 after some PP ? , simply not sure.

Soldato
I had to do a double take there, thought I saw that buoy in the P30 thread :p

So how would you say it fares against P30 Pro (zoom excluding)?

Soldato
OP
Yeah same scene :). Only really taken a few with each but my initial impression was that the Nokia takes more natural pictures off the bat, on seeing some of the P30 results I'm not so sure anymore. With the depth feature on the Nokia though you tend to get a sharper image with more detail.

P30 Pro is impressive though , and a bit of Swiss army knife where lenses are concerned very versitle.

Soldato
Kinda my thinking, with the lenses and low light abilities there's just a bigger dimension to play in and more versatility. Colour wise I do prefer the competition to Huawei but suppose that can always be tweaked later.

This phone was on my radar initially but reviews just didn't inspire confidence so I think it will be more for the purists.

Back
Top Bottom