NomNomNomNom...

Man of Honour
OP
Currently because its not configured properly its popping the multipliers up and down on some cores to 22 or 23 and leaving the others at 20 which is the non turbo setting.

Needs more work is the phrase I'm looking for. :)

Its also overvolting the memory, or it says it is. Its set at 1.64 in the bios but showing 1.67 in winders. :confused:

Idiosyncratic.

Man of Honour
OP
:eek::eek: That looks rather spiffing and by the time you've finished tweaking etc i dare say you will reach your 160000 soon enough.
I could not quite work out looking at those figures for bigadv but how long do you think it will take to complete an adv unit on average?
Bravo so far...:D

Added HFM grab for your calculatingly cunningness :)

Or a 6900 Bigadv in 21h:40m

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I am truly not worthy...well not unless i get one lol :)

Whats interesting is the scaling of bigadv.

Lucky in that shot they are all running a 6900's

But it seems to scale like so (changed slightly to average out):

920 = 08 threads = 274 W = 33K PPD = Baseline
970 = 12 threads = 300 W = 45K PPD = 37% PPD for 10% W increase over 920
SR2 = 24 threads = 560 W = 130K PPD = 300% PPD for 100% W increase over 920

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems extremely efficient in PPD/Watt thats for sure, just a shame about the price. I don't even see it coming down much after Sandy Bridge is released, but hopefully the "920" model of Sandy Bridge will be pretty affordable and provide excellent folding performance.

Man of Honour
OP
970 is pretty good, mines pushing 4 GPU3 clients as well as itself, I think dedicated on bigadv they can rise to 55K PPD with very little change in power output.

What about if you add 970 + 4 GPU's = blah thread = 1200W = 100K PPD = 200% PPD for 300%W increase over a 920 :eek:

Sandybridge, not sure if the rumour is true they can only be overclocked using multipliers then we might be in for a rough ride at the lower end of the market.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have had my head buried deep in figures for the last few hours and worked out (very roughly) that the sr2 setup with just one gtx 470 would net around 85-90000 per day after it levels out crunching seti.
That plus your figures Mr Biffa makes me want even more, and whats even better it looks better from the practical point of view of power and electricity.
So i could chuck both present machines and tally up the same with 1 and just split the time between folding and crunching....that setup is sooooo ordered.
Just the small matter of getting rid of current hardware and the 3 gpu on rma which should be dropping anyday.
What a carry on after all the hassle and expensive thats allready been and gone.....oh well thats progress :D

Man of Honour
OP
Assuming you are going to use the following items that you already have:

RAM
HDD

You could get the mobo, case and cpu's for £2364, thats with the PC-P80 the cheapest case I've heard of someone fitting an SR-2 into was a Cosmos S but it didn't look too good in there although it was amazing it got in! Now the PC-P80 just needs a couple of holes drilled in the mobo tray which is hardly difficult even for me! :)

Now depending on how you want to cool it, you might have the hardware for that already as the Xeons don't come with coolers. A couple of beefy air coolers would do the trick.

Going WC will cost you around £300 for a quality separates system, or £140 if you use two H70s

Soldato
Personally I'd steer clear of the H70s, there are aircoolers out there which beat it on performance with the right fans. No point adding additional risk if there is no benifit. Either go for proper watercooling or stick with high end aircoolers.

Soldato
Yeah but what do they know! lol :p

Another option to cut costs (depending of course on where you are situating the system) is to do away with the case all together. You can pick up a MM SR-2 motherboard tray for £80. Not a huge saving I know, but something to consider and then get the case at a later date. You can also use this to modify a case like the 700D which can be picked up 2nd hand for around £120.

Last edited:
Soldato
Assuming you are going to use the following items that you already have:

RAM
HDD

You could get the mobo, case and cpu's for £2364, thats with the PC-P80 the cheapest case I've heard of someone fitting an SR-2 into was a Cosmos S but it didn't look too good in there although it was amazing it got in! Now the PC-P80 just needs a couple of holes drilled in the mobo tray which is hardly difficult even for me! :)

Now depending on how you want to cool it, you might have the hardware for that already as the Xeons don't come with coolers. A couple of beefy air coolers would do the trick.

Going WC will cost you around £300 for a quality separates system, or £140 if you use two H70s

I know what your saying about cooling the cpu's in an ideal world i would get a quality seperates system but after forking out for the rest i think i will go with the simpler h70's until it's all up and running and i have some extra cash to put to it.
Have ordered the board and 1 cpu, the rest will have to be after christmas, not really in a great rush but as long as i know its a work in progress i dont mind :)

Yeah but what do they know! lol :p

Another option to cut costs (depending of course on where you are situating the system) is to do away with the case all together. You can pick up a MM SR-2 motherboard tray for £80. Not a huge saving I know, but something to consider and then get the case at a later date. You can also use this to modify a case like the 700D which can be picked up 2nd hand for around £120.

Thanks for that Mr Speed, have probably spent more time thinking of the case than the build but yes have looked at a few modded 700d sr2 builds and they look the part. But if santa plays ball this year i might go all out for a mountain mods case still undecided :(

Soldato
I'd be happy to contribute my last £1.33 to your noble quest, but i might have to buy a good quality mince pie for Mr Claus because i want him to bring me this

It rocks my boat, everything in 1 place seti/folding/work, it can handle 2 x sr2 i think it would be my ultimate want :D

Soldato
Somehow this just made me smile:

[20:33:05] Unit 3 finished with 85 percent of time to deadline remaining.

Ahh the fruits of your hard labour starting to pay off Mr B?

If those mm cases are not as good as people make out , is there anywhere this side of the atlantic that does anything similar? I have looked/searched but don't see anything that will house 2 machines in 1 unit, may have been a passing fancy but i cant see anything else that will do the same job :(

Man of Honour
OP
why on earth would you want to do that?

Note, I'm not saying that MM cases don't do what they say on the tin. No they are supremely adept at that. I just am not a fan of the concept, design or finish of the things. Its just my opinion of course, I'm not saying the PC-P80 is a thing of beauty but its made like a quality bit of kit, and also does what it says on the tin. I was having kittens deciding on a case for the SR2 and in the end it was so easy with the PC-P80 I shouldnt have bothered worrying, I mean 3 2mm drill holes and thats it?! :D

TT get what you want man, you know it will be an adventure no matter what you decide :)

But if it was me then I'd look to try and find a 343b somewhere.

Last edited:
Soldato
Am pretty limited for space here and 2 towers are taking up 8ft of underbench space and i can not reposition them otherwise airflow suffers badly. Plus am in the mood for a change round, want to get as far away from the "hey look at me i spent £50 at ikea" look and would like a proper desk.
Oh and of course the most important reason people do things because they can :)
Old Stomp_Monster does not seem to be attracting a following as yet :(

So is that you all sorted with your sr-2 set up Mr B :)

Back
Top Bottom