Noob Sata question

Soldato
I've got a 150gb Raptor arriving later in the week to replace an old Pata drive.

Is it as simple as removing the old drive, installing the new sata drive and then booting from the XP cd to format/install windows??

Man of Honour
Yes if the SATA ports are configured correctly.

Depending on your mobo / BIOS the SATA ports can be configured to operate in RAID mode, if this is the case you'll need to create a floppy containing the drivers from the mobo CD then do the whole "press F6 to add extra storage controllers" malarky at the beginning of the windows setup. If the SATA ports are set to IDE or ATA emulation mode (or whatever your particular setup calls them) then you should be able to install without extra drivers.

I would disconnect the IDE drive during the XP setup and that way you'll not end up with the install across both disks as XP has a tendency to do if it feels beligerant. You also then retain a working XP install that you can fall back on if you get problems.

What model of mobo do you have, we might be able to confirm whether you'd need drivers before you start.

Man of Honour
You should be OK with that, I had no problems installing without drivers on an A8N-SLi32 and it's NForce4 too - should just be a case of checking how the SATA ports are configured in the BIOS and plugging the drive into the appropriate port.

Man of Honour
Looks like the DFI has a slightly different BIOS to my board but I think what you need to do is:

Go to the Integrated Peripherals menu
Go into the IDE function menu and check the two SATA channels are enabled
Go back to the peripherals menu & go into the RAID setup menu
Ensure that RAID is disabled

This should force the SATA ports into an IDE emulation mode and then hopefully you should be able to install without drivers.

Associate
Or you can let WD software clone the old drive on to the new drive. I did that and found it very helpful, but I am very lazy and reformatting takes me some months to get everything the way I like it.

Back
Top Bottom