• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Noooooooooooooooo!

Soldato
The demo is free if u have a source game AFAIK. Its just meant to look like Id imagine an italian hilltop villa to look like, although there are aircraft flying about in that demo.

Associate
OP
yer i realise that now but the problem in the first pic is happenin in most of my games.

its worse in 3dmark06 on the deep freeze section as i get multi coloured blobs all over the screen.

I sent a web note to ocuk and they suggested trying different drivers but I had already tried that. :(

Soldato
Its rma time old chap,

Exactly the same thing happened to my X1800 XT 512mb yesterday, and thats going back on saturday when i drive down and demand my replacement :p

Man of Honour
Sorry guys, I think most of you are jumping to conclusions without all the facts. BF2 seems to have an issue with 7900GTX cards, but it does not effect them all of the time so is not reported by everyone. I have seen those artifacts on my card (Gainward 7900GTX) within BF2 a few times, but usually after I log out of one server and into another. I can play the game for hours on the same server and I never see them.

I have FEAR, QUAKE 4, Half Life 2 and LOADS more games, and the only one I have issues with, and only rarely is BF2, as seen in the first picture. A re-load solves it, so all you guys talking about "obvious memory faults" are wrong. I saw artifacts like these on GPL years ago, and on other games and they have ALL been driver related so please, stop jumping to conclusions! I am not saying its not a memory fault, but it could be other issues and is not conclusively down to memory!

I am not saying your card is not faulty either, if you are having the same issues on ALL games it most likely is faulty. However, those BF2 artifacts I believe (after quite a lot of digging too) are driver related, either Nvidia, Mobo or game!

My 2 peneth.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was just looking at a thread on [H], here , that talks of one with 5 cards dying. Seems to be factory overclocked cards? I haven't read it to closely, thought it maybe of some interest.

HeavyH20 said:
The issue only appears with HDR and SM3.0 based games. So, most people will never notice an issue. Once the first EGS failed I decided to see if the rest of the cards could handle a few hours of SM3.0 based HDR games. They all failed. Once artifacts start, the cards degrade to a point where they are only stable at 650 MHz. They never degrade past this point, strangely enough.

the memory voltage controller on these cards die under a cetain amount of use. SM 3.0 and HDR absolutely tortures the GDDR3 (you can hear it squeal). So, play BF2 for a bit or run the last test of 3Dmark06, and the card degrades. First the 800 stock spec worked on the SC. Then 750, then 700 and finally 650. The core is solid. No issues there. Play an older game at stock memory specs, no problems. Run a newer game, and artifacts, hiccups and lock-ups occur.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
housemaster said:
I am not saying your card is not faulty either, if you are having the same issues on ALL games it most likely is faulty. However, those BF2 artifacts I believe (after quite a lot of digging too) are driver related, either Nvidia, Mobo or game!

My 2 peneth.

The first pic is not from bf2 mate its from HL2 lost coast. The problem happens everytime I try to play and ive tried other drivers. The same problem in oblivion. Far cry just locks up after about 10 mins, Fear plays but at really low fps, Css artifacts straight away, BF2 does the same after about 10 mins.
The cards at stock and has never completed 3dmark06. It did finish 3dmark05 but score was really low for what it should be (about 8500 iirc)

By this time i got sick of testing and just removed the card and put an x1900xt in and all is good. Jst waiting an a reply from Ocuk to send it back unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Man of Honour
chris06 said:
The first pic is not from bf2 mate its from HL2 lost coast. The problem happens everytime I try to play and ive tried other drivers. The same problem in oblivion. Far cry just locks up after about 10 mins, Fear plays but at really low fps, Css artifacts straight away, BF2 does the same after about 10 mins.
The cards at stock and has never completed 3dmark06. It did finish 3dmark05 but score was really low for what it should be (about 8500 iirc)

By this time i got sick of testing and just removed the card and put an x1900xt in and all is good. Jst waiting an a reply from Ocuk to send it back unless anyone has any other suggestions?
As I say, if you are seeing it across the board it needs to be replaced. You are also right, its not BF2, but those 'tearing' issues seem to aflict BF2 when used with 7900GTX's.

I have Oblivion (what a view!) and FEAR too, and I have not a single issue with either so I feel you have a bad part, so to speak :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
Well I RMAd'd the card and they sent it back saying that there was nothing wrong with it.

I have since tried it on another two systems and get the same problem so I am not sure what to do now? I'm stuck wit a £300 card that wont work.

Any advice for what I should do now would be welcome?

Thanks

Soldato
Did you tell them it won't complete 3DMk06?
They may have tested it with some benches/games that don't cause any problems. If you're 100% certain it's the card, you should email them and explain that you've tried it in 2 other rigs, and ask them to retest the card by running 3DMk'06, or CS:S (since it artefacts immediately). Testers won't wait forever for a card to start artefacting.

Soldato
Sir Random said:
Did you tell them it won't complete 3DMk06?
They may have tested it with some benches/games that don't cause any problems. If you're 100% certain it's the card, you should email them and explain that you've tried it in 2 other rigs, and ask them to retest the card by running 3DMk'06, or CS:S (since it artefacts immediately). Testers won't wait forever for a card to start artefacting.

Thats true, if its a problem that takes a while to happen you need to say or they will just pop the card in and test it for 30 seconds and send it back. I had a CPU which decided to switch the PC off randomly, sometimes it was on 30 seconds other times it was hours. They just sent it back saying it was fine as i didn't say exactly what the problem is, i just said it didn't work.

Soldato
housemaster said:
Sorry guys, I think most of you are jumping to conclusions without all the facts. BF2 seems to have an issue with 7900GTX cards, but it does not effect them all of the time so is not reported by everyone. I have seen those artifacts on my card (Gainward 7900GTX) within BF2 a few times, but usually after I log out of one server and into another. I can play the game for hours on the same server and I never see them.

I have FEAR, QUAKE 4, Half Life 2 and LOADS more games, and the only one I have issues with, and only rarely is BF2, as seen in the first picture. A re-load solves it, so all you guys talking about "obvious memory faults" are wrong. I saw artifacts like these on GPL years ago, and on other games and they have ALL been driver related so please, stop jumping to conclusions! I am not saying its not a memory fault, but it could be other issues and is not conclusively down to memory!

My 2 peneth.

It doesn't matter if it only artifacts now and then, the fact is - it shouldn't at all unless its overclocked or those particular drivers have a problem with that game.

I used to run BF2 on a 6800GT and I tried every driver right from the 77.30s (think it was that version that came with the game) and never saw those problems.

There is a known issue with 7900 series cards, that a few of the GPUs are faulty and no driver updates, or firmware (bios) updates will sort it out.

If hes running at stock, and has tried a mixture of drivers then I would surely say that the card is borked, especially to get artifacts to that degree.

Associate
OP
Well they said it was tested for 3.5 hours using:

3d mark 06,05
farcry benchmark
dxdiag
Fear SP demo
x3 reunion
pcmark
passmark burntest v4.0. pro

When I first read their email i thought well fair enough because if there was a problem it would have shown up in them tests. But after trying on other systems and stil getting the same problem that would point to a faulty card again?

Any thoughts on what to do now?

EDIT: Also, cant really affort to send it back again because if they say that nothing is wrong it will cost more money that I dont have :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom