Northen Lights

Associate
I'll paste from another thread I posted in :

I'm off to Alaska this year to see the Northern Lights =)
I'm not an expert on the issue but I have done a lot of research on the lights.

I basically didn't wanna fly half way across the world without assurances.

Check out the following link :

http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/

If you want the highest possible chance of seeing the lights, I recommend basing your holiday in a town directly underneath the centre band of the aurora. I'm going to a cabin called Bettles Lodge just north of Fairbanks Alaska in November =), it lies directly underneath and boasts a 95% chance of viewing if you stay for 3 nights

Also try and go between September - March =)

The only thing I'm worried about which unfortunately is out of my control is the weather, you could be extremely unlucky and have a cloudy week and not see anything *crosses fingers*

Good Luck xD

Associate
semi-pro waster said:
I've watched them while I was in Rovaniemi in Finland (just about on the Arctic Circle with a Santas village on the line), absolutely stunning each and every time you see them. I can't really give you too much advice about when to look out for them but they were pretty common if you were outside any time between about 22:00 and 02:00, some nights were obviously better than others. If you do think about going to Rovaniemi I can point you in the direction of a couple of pubs/nightclubs worth seeing, however direct flights might be a bit expensive and if you go to Helsinki then Rovaniemi the train takes the best part of a full day.

I've done just that, was rather gutted at the time as it was cloudy the 3 nights I was there. Going husky sledding made up for it though :)

Associate
KaHn said:
I know that the further north you go the more chance you will get to see them, I have been looking at flights to iceland (600+ quid) and northen norway/sweden 300+.

I am asking if anyone has been and where / when.

This is one of the reasons.

Polarlicht.jpg

your getting ripped, I got my flights to iceland in sep for 80 quid return :)

Associate
Went to Iceland last December with Icelandair - stayed in Reykjavik for 3 days, was really nice but freezing cold and snowing! Didn't see the lights as it was snowing, but you have a pretty good chance of seeing them this time of year there. £600+ does sound a lot, can't remember how much we paid but it was less than that for 2 flights and 3 nights accomodation.

Associate
OK so thought I'd post since I've been and come back from Norway :)
Went upto Tromso in December and was lucky enough to get a fantastic display on my last night there. Here are some pics :

2221413422_42d9bdb03c.jpg

2220613563_cef38ce7cc.jpg

2220611263_8796826f3e.jpg

2135396479_a0411d76ca.jpg

2220618021_6de6a71179.jpg

2221414508_a67ece1c68.jpg

was really breathtaking :) so much so im going back there in a few weeks to try my luck again :)

Associate
ye it really is a completely different experience irl :) made my hairs stand on end.
It's also impossible to describe in words the motion of them. Taking my new vid cam up there with me :) will post if i get anything decent! :p

Permabanned
That looks stunning. When I was last in Norway, we never got a display like that at all. Although we were slightly more to the South in Trondheim than up in Tromsø.

Man of Honour
I have seen them from Scotland but I'm definitely thinking of going up at the next optimum time. They were pretty cool in Scotland but I want to see them from the far north.

I'm sure prices will go up with it.

Associate
its amazing how prices of flights do go up at those times.
I strongly suggest Tromso if you really want to see the lights :) the chances of a decent display are pretty high if you stay for around a week.

Booked my flights upto Tromso about 2 weeks back and I swear it seems the flight prices are linked to auroral activity!! lol

prolly just a coincidence dunno

http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/

EDIT - read up on svalbard but heard there are polar bears roaming around there! :S

Soldato
Hi,

We are going to Iceland next Thursday, so I can let you know if we get to see them! Apparantly this time of year is the best time, and also a new moon helps.

We got two flights fro heathrow, 4 nights accomodation and airport parking for just over £500 for 2. I dont know where you have been looking!

Good Luck!

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Is that cos of the book?

Don't forget she left from the fens where you are :)

Partially. I do like the trilogy a fair bit. Otherwise because I just like how cut off the island is and the like, with rules like when outside of towns, you have to carry a rifle because of polar bears. Just seems a nice place.

Could do a replica Northen Lights trip on some sort of boat, would be a laugh :p

Associate
yea around the equinoxes are usually the best time :p close to september or march, tho honestly the display i saw in december was fantastic so not sure what to say really :p

one thing i did notice tho, as when I went it was also a new moon. Is that it is so dark it does take the eyes a while to adjust to the dark, so much so that when I first saw the lights (they started off very mild) it looked like a cloud! :S

Associate
We went for our honeymoon to Iceland in October in hope to see the Nortnen Lights, however we did not see them, even though conditions for them were perfect :(
You can see them in North Scotland, at the right times too. We are going to save fro Canada for a few years time and hope to see them there.

Back
Top Bottom