1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure what to do or what's out there...

Discussion in 'Careers, Employment and Professional Development' started by MX5Churbo, Feb 7, 2020.

1. MX5Churbo

Associate

Thanks for such an honest input. I think it's definitely more widespread than people think.

Always wished I'd been one of those people with their heart set on what career they want from a youngish age. My sister is like that. She's in her dream job working barely three days a week on double my full time salary.

As much as it pains me to agree with you about a lot of job vacancies coming up because some poor sod reached breaking point and jacked it in, I have experienced that. Company had a massive turnover of staff. Hopefully it's not always the case though!

Thanks for the reply, and I wish you all the best finding something that clicks for you.

2. bol

Associate

I am ex-reme reserve. Used to be attached to Royal engineers. My pay as a fully skilled VM lance corporal, was way above the B1 engineer sergeants! Was a good few years ago now. I recommend the reserves as there is no minimum service requirements and the tax free bounty was a bonus.Also managed to score a free HGV license too.

3. Marvt74

Capodecina

Same with a few tradesmen i've spoken to who've looked at taking on apprentices.

At 17/18 they seem very disinterested, but at a later age they're training for an actual career as opposed to something to do so put more effort in.

The plumber we currently have doing some work said he started at 27.

4. MX5Churbo

Associate

Thanks for giving your experience, it sounds pretty good!

5. MX5Churbo

Associate

Thanks, this gives me some hope.

I'm going to an apprenticeship, employment and skills show next week so I'm planning to get there early to have a good chat with employers and hand over my CV to as many as possible. Hopefully I can expand my network and get some ideas!