Not very often I like the Sun....

Caporegime
Its hardly news, its a well known fact and was entirely predictable before Labour unfortunately even got into power.

Man of Honour
The sun in completely truthful and honest article... Wow.

Shame some people are still so blinded by ideology they cannot see the damage Labour has done, both this time and every other time they have been in power, and still support this bunch of cretins and their repeatedly failed policies.

Man of Honour
I give him top marks for economics, but 0 out of 10 for social policy.

I give him 10 out of ten that he conned people in believing he was the Iron Chancellor with fiscal intelligence.

He inherited a very healthy economy from the Conservatives.

He sold a chunk of Britain's gold reserves at rock bottom price. Perhaps he would have done better putting it in envelopes and sending it to Cash 4 Gold ?

He borrowed to pour money into largely unreformed public services and did I read somewhere that they will borrow more money than all previous governments combined for the last 300 years ?

For me it is do you want to get ran over by a bus or a train as I live in the north east of England and successive Tory governments have rarely given a toss about this part of the nation.

Heavy industry was decimated under the last Conservative government and the force I work for has numerous ex pit villages that turned to dust and decay when they closed. I accept that the coal industry was a state monolith that was not cost effective and that changes had to be made but very little investment was made in those communities and the social decay soon set in and is still deep rooted and contrary to some beliefs that the police do not care, I find it a tragedy where numerous lives are wrecked by drugs and crime before they have really started. That is part of the Tory legacy although not all that they did was bad I have to say.

I care not a jot for Labour and feel they are a spent force but I also find the Conservative wave of popularity irks me as they have few policies and it is based on people have had enough of Labour.

My force has followed Labour's orders and changed policy and procedures and that has cost money and we now face an £8 million budgetary shortfall and have been told thanks for doing what we say but you must find your own savings.

banks get bailed out, Iraq and Afghanistan is funded, money is thrown at unreformed public services but frontline police services are told to whistle. The public will not get the service they deserve and are paying for and I can't help but feel disgust as a result.

Rant over and The Sun did exactly the same when the Tories were on a downer in 1997. They can crack on and if they think they can change Britain by printing tripe 6 days a week then again crack on.

Oppositions don't win elections. Governments lose them and The Sun can continue to bask in its inflated self importance if it makes them happy but I would rather nail my nuts to a speeding train than support what is glorified bog roll.

Man of Honour
I give him top marks for economics, but 0 out of 10 for social policy.

Except when he went and sold all that gold for example..

Ah yes, that was probably not a good idea. :p

He was also fully responsible for changing banking regulation in the UK, taking responsibility away from the bank of England and replacing it with the destined to fail tripartite system of regulation that fails even basic business responsibility tests...

Not to mention his continued swelling of public borrowing despite being in a boom, his economic policies leading to the biggest non-world war deficit of any UK government (excluding the bank bailout costs) and so on...

Yep, great at economics that one...

Man of Honour
Heavy industry was decimated under the last Conservative government and the force I work for has numerous ex pit villages that turned to dust and decay when they closed. I accept that the coal industry was a state monolith that was not cost effective and that changes had to be made but very little investment was made in those communities and the social decay soon set in and is still deep rooted and contrary to some beliefs that the police do not care, I find it a tragedy where numerous lives are wrecked by drugs and crime before they have really started. That is part of the Tory legacy although not all that they did was bad I have to say.

Just as a point on this one, the cost, both financial and popular support-wise of the violent miners strike did have a signficant effect on the level of support the pit villages and towns could get, because by the time they were done, there wasn't the popular support for them, and huge amounts of cash had been wasted trying to keep them under control.

Sad, definitely. Entirely the conservatives fault? Not at all. (Before anyone tries to misrepresent otherwise, I am not saying the Tories were blameless, but they were not wholely to blame either)

Associate
Ugh... I was enjoying that until it basically said "let's go Tory".

Would rather see one of the radical parties get in and see some really big shakeups for a term. If the Conservatives win it will just be an exact repeat of the story above over the next 12 years.

Have we learned nothing from our history of the Labour-Tory see-saw?

This.

Soldato
Tories will get in and everyone will be bored of them in approxiamately a decade and labour will get back in and everyone will get bored of them after a decade, tories back in etc.. etc...

Soldato
I think they know it will take nothing short of a miracle for Labour to win anyway so it would be pretty silly for them to back Labour.

Soldato
I don't think we should be hoping for a Tory government.

The best outcome in 2010 would be a hung parliament. It would break down some of the pointless party political bickering and usher in a new style of British politics.

Associate
In fairness to the Tories they have a track record of sorting out Labours mess. Pretty much a repeat of what happened when they took over in 59 and 79.

Oh and HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA to whoever said they've give him '10 out of 10 for Economical management'

Man of Honour
I don't think we should be hoping for a Tory government.

The best outcome in 2010 would be a hung parliament. It would break down some of the pointless party political bickering and usher in a new style of British politics.

No, that's what we want in the term after this. We need a strong government to undo the damage that Labour has done (much as we did in 1979).

Once the unpopular but necessary cutting of the massive public spending and bringing the debt back into line, then we can get a good low majority/hung parliament in place.

Soldato
Dolph, off topic. Do you think the Goverment are more to blame for the economic crisis than the Bankers? Just the impression I get when reading your posts.

Associate
It's easy to snipe / criticize those in power with the responsibility of actually fixing things.
Labour have done an ok job imo. A tory goverment would scare me, under a tory government i do not think we would be anywhere near out of this recesssion nor do i believe we would have the peace we currently have in n ireland.

Man of Honour
Dolph, off topic. Do you think the Goverment are more to blame for the economic crisis than the Bankers? Just the impression I get when reading your posts.

I think that several of the market failures that contributed to the problem were the result of the wrong sort of regulation, either by our government or the US government, which lead to both market failures (because the markets weren't working as they should due to interference, see the credit rating market for the most obvious example) and moral hazard (because government regulation comes with an implicit approval of non-regulated activities)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_policies_and_the_subprime_mortgage_crisis

Mostly american, but given that the crisis started there, and not as a result of bad lending in the UK.

None of this excuses the behaviour of bankers, but to argue it was solely the bankers, or that greater government regulation is the answer is simply untrue.

Soldato
I do not think we are anywhere near out of this recession!! How are things better now than they were in 2007? They are worse in every way.

The slowing decline of GDP fall and even some rises in some countries are JUST an expression of the new money, quantitative easing. It gets counted as positive GDP when it's spend, but the new debt is not subtracted from GDP. It's an illusion. The fundamentals have not improved, they are worse than they were before this is not being nearly out of recession.

Soldato
My favourite part was when Brown started talking about a cure for cancer. If Brown gets re-elected it'll be a miracle. I think he might be setting his sights a little high.

Back
Top Bottom