Notepad++ replacement for mac

Associate
I love Notepad++ on windows, but I can't find anything that fits the same niche it filled on Mac. I know you can do some wine hax to get it running, but I want a real mac supported program any ideas?

Commissario
I don't really know what Notepad++ brings over Notepad but there are many text wrangling programs for the Mac. I use TextMate (it's free), BBEdit is another popular one (which isn't free if you want full functionality) and I'm sure there are loads of others.

Man of Honour
I don't really know what Notepad++ brings over Notepad but there are many text wrangling programs for the Mac. I use TextMate (it's free), BBEdit is another popular one (which isn't free if you want full functionality) and I'm sure there are loads of others.
The only similarity between Notepad and Notepad++ is that they open text files. Other than that they're effectively totally different things. Notepad++ has syntax highlighting, CR/LF viewing, text comparison, tabbed viewing, macros, plugins, checksum generation and many other things.

Commissario
The only similarity between Notepad and Notepad++ is that they open text files. Other than that they're effectively totally different things. Notepad++ has syntax highlighting, CR/LF viewing, text comparison, tabbed viewing, macros, plugins, checksum generation and many other things.

I think that’s the sort of thing TextMate does as well.

Associate
OP
I use Visual Studio Code, as do most developers I work with who use macOS.
While I love VS Code when I am coding, I find that for the reasons I used notepad++; it's too much as by the time I've opened VS Code and all my 70 million plugins have loaded, I could have already finished what I would have done on Notepad++.
I think that’s the sort of thing TextMate does as well.

I'll give it a look-see.
Another vote for vscode here

Are there any specific notepad++ features you need?
The main uses I had for Notepad++ were either:
  1. A scratch pad for me to dump things into as I worked on whatever
  2. I had received a JSON/XML/YAML etc. and I needed to do the following against
    1. evaluate
    2. validate
    3. edit
    4. create
    5. view like this
      zdVrmOC.jpg
  3. receive log files from exceptions/etc. and go through them, being able to tag/mark suspect sections and review those later

Last edited:
Associate
yeah i guess vscode prob is good for that but isn't as lightweight.. I don't really notice it starting up mind.

I've used textmate also in the past and its a capable text editor.

a colleague of mine swears by sublime text too if you haven't tried it.

Associate
OP
yeah i guess vscode prob is good for that but isn't as lightweight.. I don't really notice it starting up mind.

I've used textmate also in the past and its a capable text editor.

a colleague of mine swears by sublime text too if you haven't tried it.
oh I love sublime <3

Soldato
VSCode for dev environment but it’s a much more heavyweight environment than notepads++ which is really a fancy editor.

I’d say sublime text is more comparable, I personally prefer it to notepad++

Back
Top Bottom