nPower Harassment

Soldato
Don't know if anyone is suffering the same issue, but I now am having to deal with 2-3 calls a week from nPower wanting us to change utility companies.

It is getting to the point now, where I am just being plain rude to them, yet still they persist, phoning, door knocking, letters, it just goes on and on and on.

Is it just me? Has anyone else switched away from nPower only to suffer a constant barrage of calls?

Permabanned
Just swear your nuts off at them everytime they phone, they will get the message.

I mean really work yourself up into a mouth foaming maniac and let rip.

Soldato
As said on Chris Moyles show recently ask the caller for their home telephone number as you want to discuss the issue later. When they (obviously) refuse ask them 'is it because you don't like to be disturbed with sales calls at home?'

Soldato
Start with the TPS: http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/ Register now! Any company that then rings you after registration with the TPS is breaking the law, and you can tell them so.

Cold callers to your door you can't really stop I think, apart from treating them with absolute scorn and just closing the door. Had a couple round the other day, I felt like I was shooing off Jehovah's Witnesses, seemed to be a similar approach...

Oh, and I've just seen this but I'm dubious about it as I thought TPS was the only official one: http://www.callpreventionregistry.co.uk/ --> They seem to take a fee and actively bite back to nuisance companies... Apparently.

Associate
ask them what the details are and shove the phone face down in a tissue box or on the cushion or another soft object, then get on with what you were doing again ;)

Soldato
OP
Start with the TPS: http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/ Register now! Any company that then rings you after registration with the TPS is breaking the law, and you can tell them so.

Cold callers to your door you can't really stop I think, apart from treating them with absolute scorn and just closing the door. Had a couple round the other day, I felt like I was shooing off Jehovah's Witnesses, seemed to be a similar approach...

Have re-registered with the TPS, had it at my last address, same telephone number but I guess it lapsed when we moved.

I actually told the guy where to go tonight and said I was sick of their damn company calling once a week when I had repeatedly told them I cannot and will not switch. He said "not my fault mate, I am new" and I said "yes I can see you are writing down my details so nobody else calls again as well, just like the previous callers".

It was funny, his opening gambit was "we missed you last time we called" I was like jeez, how often are they calling that I have actually missed them!

:rolleyes:

Hmm, I think next time they ask me who supplies my gas I shall just fart, and say that one comes free!

daz

daz

Soldato
As said on Chris Moyles show recently ask the caller for their home telephone number as you want to discuss the issue later. When they (obviously) refuse ask them 'is it because you don't like to be disturbed with sales calls at home?'

Chris Moyles recycling old jokes... :o

That's from Seinfeld.

Soldato
Oh, and I've just seen this but I'm dubious about it as I thought TPS was the only official one: http://www.callpreventionregistry.co.uk/ --> They seem to take a fee and actively bite back to nuisance companies... Apparently.

Having read their "About Us" page, they basically register you with TPS (which you can do for free anyway), and then if you get any calls they write to the company responsible to tell them not to ring you again. If they do, they will grass them up to the Information Commissioner; which you can also easily do, free of charge.

In other words, they're a waste of money unless you can't spare 2 minutes and a few pence to post a letter. But yes, definitely register with TPS.

Man of Honour
Registering with the TPS is all well and good but it only covers companies who you have had no previous dealings with. Since the OP is an ex nPower customer then nPower are legally entitled to continue to contact him.

Soldato
Registering with the TPS is all well and good but it only covers companies who you have had no previous dealings with. Since the OP is an ex nPower customer then nPower are legally entitled to continue to contact him.

Are you quite sure? As far as I remember, the TPS site states clearly that even companies you currently deal with will no longer be able to contact you, unless you re-contact them after TPS registration with new permission.

EDIT: TPS seem a bit ambiguous on the issue actually.

1. If I register with TPS, will I still be able to receive calls from companies and charities who I have dealt with in the past?
Only if you have given permission for them to call you. It is worth bearing in mind before you register with that you may miss out on calls from companies and charities that you would be happy to hear from. It is important to make sure you give permission to those companies so they can continue to contact you via the telephone.
So, do you need to give permission again for them to be allowed to contact you, or can they contact you still if you gave your permission prior to TPS registration? It can be read both ways imho. The last sentence seems to indicate you'd need to re-provide your approval though, I think?

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a bit grey if you ask me. That quote suggests that permission post registration is required whereas the home page suggests that permission given prior to registration counts.

Either way though, we can all surely agree that TPS registration is legally binding on cold-calling companies, and that should the OP register and then revoke any prior permission next time nPower call him, they will be legally obliged to do so. As someone who used to work in sales, I can confirm that as soon as they hear 'TPS' they'll be wanting to run a mile. ;)

Back
Top Bottom