NTFS vs exFAT

Associate
new ssd, need to format it and while i dont think its likely to be coming out of the comp any time soon, is there any reason to choose one file snystem over the other aside form exfat being more compatible?

is there a speed difference between them?

I googled but everything just went on abotu ntfs being windows only and exfat being more compatible with removable storage.

JR1

JR1

Associate
Hi mark,

You should definitely use NTFS. NTFS supports trim functionality, which is essential for a consumer SSD and it will be faster. NTFS also supports data integrity in the event of an interrupt, such as a power failure.

Regds, JR

Associate
OP
Hi mark,

You should definitely use NTFS. NTFS supports trim functionality, which is essential for a consumer SSD and it will be faster. NTFS also supports data integrity in the event of an interrupt, such as a power failure.

Regds, JR

Excellent, thats exactly the kind of answer i was after :)

Associate
NTFS. Where you're not going to be moving the drive around much from the sounds of it, you won't need to worry about things like cross-platform functionality with iMac. Plus exFAT can sometimes have file corruption susceptibility. On the off chance you ever do need to worry about the iMac thing, there's a driver you can grab called Paragon which should help you out.

Back
Top Bottom