Nurse arrested for murdering babies

I was reading on Reddit and someone was saying that this number of deaths on a neonatal unit was "normal". Unfortunately lots of babies don't make it, which is sad but it's what happens.

My son was in NICU for two weeks when he was born. 7 incubators in his room. My son came out just fine, 2 of the babies didn't.

The investigation was later widened to the deaths of 17 babies and 16 non-fatal collapses between March 2015 and July 2016.

The probe came after the hospital raised concerns at the high number of deaths between March 2015 and July 2016 - which was said to be 10 per cent higher than average.

Two babies had passed away at the site in 2013 but by 2015 it had quadrupled to eight.

As a layperson what am I meant to be getting outraged at in these numbers.

10% more than average doesn't sound substantial and these numbers are apparently extremely small.

Says 2 died in 2013
??? in 2014
Then 8 died in 2015 (large difference)
Apparently that would be 9 in 2016 (even more but they highlighted 2015?)

Yet the concern is that it was 10% higher between 2015 and 2016?

So what was 2013, an amazing year? Presumably someone got a bonus for low deaths that year if you get arrested when it goes 10% over.

Last edited:
My son was in NICU for two weeks when he was born. 7 incubators in his room. My son came out just fine, 2 of the babies didn't.

We're aware of at least 3 which sadly didn't make it while our son was in NICU for 3 months, quite possible there were more, but obviously its not exactly the sort of thing they tend to shout about.

It's an intensive care unit, by its very nature, that means the patients are going to be very high risk.

It also doesn't say anything about the number of actual patients? If there was a 10% spike in the number of babies they were looking after, then a corresponding increase in deaths isn't unexpected, that's ignoring the fact that if 17 is a 10% increase, then the previous number was 15/16. 1-2 extra deaths over 12 months is surely within normal variance?

Obviously it depends on the circumstances around their deaths, but I don't think the numbers alone are necessarily indicative of anything.

Last edited:
Obviously it depends on the circumstances around their deaths, but I don't think the numbers alone are necessarily indicative of anything.

Indeed, the numbers of deaths are quoted in the article.

2009 - 3
2010 - 1
2011 - 3
2012 - 3
2013 - 2
2014 - 3
2015 - 8
2016 - 5

They are basing this on the increase during 2015/16. The numbers dont seem outrageous, I presume they must have evidence to charge her.

Indeed, the numbers of deaths are quoted in the article.

2009 - 3
2010 - 1
2011 - 3
2012 - 3
2013 - 2
2014 - 3
2015 - 8
2016 - 5

They are basing this on the increase during 2015/16. The numbers dont seem outrageous, I presume they must have evidence to charge her.

It must be more than this.
Although you would start an investigation, you certainly wouldn't lynch someone. This is very very serious. There must be substantial evidence

It must be more than this.
Although you would start an investigation, you certainly wouldn't lynch someone. This is very very serious. There must be substantial evidence

I imagine so. She wouldn't be plastered all over the media otherwise [OK, it does happen unwarranted in some cases, but I imagine they know a lot more than we do to charge her multiple times].

Although the review could not find a reason for the increase in baby deaths between June 2015 and June 2016, it identified a string of concerns.
These included significant gaps in medical and nursing rotas, insufficient senior doctor cover, poor decision making and a reluctance by some staff to seek advice from colleagues.
So all those problems, yet it's just this one nurse causing all the deaths?
Sounds more like she's ****** off someone senior who is now hanging her out to dry...

Some people here would lynch her right now. I hope you're never on my jury.
And they'd better hope I'm not on theirs...!!

I think for them to have pursued for this long they must have sufficient evidence for their suspicions, rota logs, inventory discrepancies etc. - strange case for the "don't report names until guilty" cry.

I think the fact that there's a charge for attempted murder indicates that they know something was going on, I've also heard similar causes of death for them all so could be something like poisoning.

until the details are released though, who knows.

Back
Top Bottom