• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia 3080 extra power consumption, real world cost?

Associate
While most of the talk is (rightly) about stock issues on this paper launch, I'm not seeing much discussion on the huge amount of power these cards require.

Has anyone done the maths on how much this is going to cost the consumer over the 2080ti?

Edit - oops, accidentally hit the Enter key with my sausage fingers, will see where the discussion goes

Associate
This depends on your provider and the charges for the additional 0.7 kWh (270 watt 2080TI average and 340 watt 3080 average) it generates. Also under the assumption that other variables have stayed the same, like watts used on CPU etc.

My ambient temperature is lower with the 3080, than my old 2080TI, and the 3080 doesn't get as warm either (75 degrees C load on the 2080TI, vs 63 degrees C on the 3080).

That said, if anyone has spent £650-£800 on a 3080 at launch, I doubt that 0.7kWh is a real consideration for them.

Associate
I can see me using less power My Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ i run it at
1692 Core 1045 Ram +50% Power limit in most games its 280w to 330w just for the GPU Core
e.g. Not TBP that must be 400w to 450w

Rom

Rom

Associate
Do any of us consider electricity usage when we speed £700-£1600 on a GPU? I know I didnt.

The more electric they use, the hotter they are, which means ill save on central heating ;)

Associate
Do any of us consider electricity usage when we speed £700-£1600 on a GPU? I know I didnt.

No, never. Not sure why people get too fussed about this. I can see it being bad for overclockers and people who want to push thermal envelopes and things of that nature, but that's awfully niche. Do people really care about the power delta and what that adds up to in terms of cost?

Soldato
I woudn't worry about it, it's not going to make a difference than you will notice in your power bill.

But if for some reason you are concerned, just undervolt the damn thing - you can save 100w easy and lose only 5% performance.

For me personally, if my GPU consumed 100w over the old one, it would cost me an extra $7 over one year - basically nothing. I can save a lot more than that just by showering 1 minute less each day

Associate

The more electric they use, the hotter they are, which means ill save on central heating ;)
I eat salad twice a week now to save on the electricity instead of cooking:D
Winner winner salad dinner:rolleyes:

Man of Honour
I woudn't worry about it, it's not going to make a difference than you will notice in your power bill.

But if for some reason you are concerned, just undervolt the damn thing - you can save 100w easy and lose only 5% performance.

For me personally, if my GPU consumed 100w over the old one, it would cost me an extra $7 over one year - basically nothing. I can save a lot more than that just by showering 1 minute less each day

This^

I also find sometimes on a cold day when using the PC I don't need to put the heater on so I actually save a tiny bit of money.

Back
Top Bottom