• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Got the inno 3d ichill x3 and got memory is at 1500 stress tested and stable which is pretty good considering. Makes sense what you are saying about the stiff thermal pads and better cooling.

I've got a 12700k and have been considering whether to bother going for the 13th gen but sticking with this, it runs 5ghz p cores 4ghz e cores with 4 ring at 1.22vcore.

Some-ones going to have to explain this to me, I'm on a 12700kf as well which will do 5g on all Pcores I'm running it stock though at 4k 120hz, I honestly see no bottlenecking at all on my 4090, yet people are upgrading this cpu and 12900k's. Why? What am I missing? I get the upgrading cause you don't have to change your motherboard but why do people think 12th gen is holding back the 4090, I see no gains in overclocking or bottlenecks? I understand lower res like 1440p 16:9 but 4k as well?

Last edited:
very interesting, thankyou :). i'm a vr gamer with a 4k per eye vr headset so i think the the 8K result is more applicable to me.
this shows these 4090's are cpu limited by older cpu's at 4k somewhat.
My Reverb only runs at 90fps, so I need a CPU that can feed 90fps to the GPU at a little over 4k.

Last edited:
Got the inno 3d ichill x3 and got memory is at 1500 stress tested and stable which is pretty good considering. Makes sense what you are saying about the stiff thermal pads and better cooling.

I've got a 12700k and have been considering whether to bother going for the 13th gen but sticking with this, it runs 5ghz p cores 4ghz e cores with 4 ring at 1.22vcore.
That's very good your getting+1500 on the Vram, Most I can get is around + 1150 and + 175 on the core, Not too shabby to be fair boosts to just over 3ghz now, In all honesty though I'm not seeing any difference performance wise though lol other than a little increase in 3d mark scores but can't say I've noticed any difference in FPS in gaming, Kinda weird with ADA overclocking these doesn't seem to yield any increase in performance or power usage I'm guessing because they're locked at 450w so I just left it at stock.

I wouldn't bother mate changing the CPU the 12700k is still an awesome CPU and more than enough to drive the 4090 at 4k, I'm keeping my 12900K with a slight overclock also and not even considering changing it, Personally I think it would be just a total waste of money, I know it's an easy upgrade this time around in the sense of we don't have to change motherboards as well but Alder lake is more than capable at anything you throw at it, Save your money mate and enjoy the 4090 :D I love it.

Some-ones going to have to explain this to me, I'm on a 12700kf as well which will do 5g on all Pcores I'm running it stock though at 4k 120hz, I honestly see no bottlenecking at all on my 4090, yet people are upgrading this cpu and 12900k's. Why? What am I missing? I get the upgrading cause you don't have to change your motherboard but why do people think 12th gen is holding back the 4090, I see no gains in overclocking or bottlenecks? I understand lower res like 1440p 16:9 but 4k as well?
Don't bother pal save your money, If you bought a 4090 to game at 4k then it's the least resolution changing your CPU is going to benefit from.

If you was an e sports gamer in a lower resolution then maybe yes at 4k on Alder Lake it shouldn't even be a suggestion imho.

I've tried many games now with V sync off to really push the GPU and CPU and not once have I seen the GPU usage drop due to being held back by my 12900k and I don't expect that either in 4k, Maybe lower resolutions but not 4k.

Either some people have badly configured systems or something isn't right if they are seeing massive differences from a 12900k to a 13900k in 4k.

It's easy to check just load up your favourite modern game, Disable VSync and monitor CPU and GPU usage and GPU power, If the GPU usage and power is not getting to 97-100% and 420-450w respectively then there is an issue somewhere.

Last edited:
I thought at 4K gaming, it don't matter as much as playing at 1080P and 1440P, i will be just using my skylake 6700K and still hoping for big gains at 4K on a 4090, until i can get all the other parts eventually.

If your games support DLSS3 frame generation then a mid range CPU is fine.
From my experience on F1 22 it looks an amazing technology.

What? I don't know what you're issue is, does your cpu suck? It's been talked about like a million times in this thread, every cpu is bottlenecked at 4k by a 4090. Maybe even a 13900k
Bottlenecked at what? More than 120fps?

In all honesty who cares after that frame rate even if it was a thing but that's not correct either way, I've tried many modern games at 4k with Vsync off on my 12900k and pushed passed 200fps now seeing as I'm running my 4090 on an LG OLED with VRR and frame rate locked at 117fps why does anyone need more than that? In newer AAA titles you aint getting that frame rate even on a 4090 in the very near future anyway the CPU will never come into the equation, It's a waste of money mate.

Just try A plague tale requiem for eg without DLSS if you want to make your 4090 squeal at 445w.

Bottlenecked at what? More than 120fps?

In all honesty who cares after that frame rate even if it was a thing but that's not correct either way, I've tried many modern games at 4k with Vsync off on my 12900k and pushed passed 200fps now seeing as I'm running my 4090 on an LG OLED with VRR and frame rate locked at 117fps why does anyone need more than that? In newer AAA titles you aint getting that frame rate even on a 4090 in the very near future anyway the CPU will never come into the equation, It's a waste of money mate.

Just try A plague tale requiem for eg without DLSS if you want to make your 4090 squeal at 445w.
Yeah that's really interesting and all. The point is whether a bottleneck exists. You liked his post so therefore you agree that "Every cpu bottle necked is utter nonsense at 4k, it’s not unless your real low end cpus"?

People have been complaining of large bottlenecks on high end 10th series cpu's. If you pit a 5800X3D vs a 13900k at 4k with a 4090 the 5800x3d is going to get lower fps in some, maybe many games

Yeah that's really interesting and all. The point is whether a bottleneck exists. You liked his post so therefore you agree that "Every cpu bottle necked is utter nonsense at 4k, it’s not unless your real low end cpus"?

People have been complaining of large bottlenecks on high end 10th series cpu's. If you pit a 5800X3D vs a 13900k at 4k with a 4090 the 5800x3d is going to get lower fps in some, maybe many games
I'm not saying there wouldn't be in any older gen titles the point I was making was he has a 12700k and at 4k there is 0 issue pushing past 100fps in anything other than heavy GPU bound titles in which case the CPU doesn't come into it anymore.

Again at 100+ FPS on a modern CPU there really is no need to change a CPU just because you might be losing 5 FPS but there is no issue getting up to 120fps for titles and screens that allow it should the GPU be able to push that anyway.

The only people that will care about 5-10 FPS is not people playing in 4k it's gamers wanting the highest FPS in 1080p

These charts you see online showing a 13900k Vs a 12900k for eg in the 2-300+ FPS silly numbers in lower resolutions, Of course that's going to make it look worse than it is high FPS in lower resolutions has always been a bottleneck between memory and CPU but no one is getting stupid high 2-300 FPS numbers on a 4090 in 4k it's irrelevant to be perfectly honest.

I'm not saying there wouldn't be in any older gen titles the point I was making was he has a 12700k and at 4k there is 0 issue pushing past 100fps in anything other than heavy GPU bound titles in which case the CPU doesn't come into it anymore.

Again at 100+ FPS on a modern CPU there really is no need to change a CPU just because you might be losing 5 FPS but there is no issue getting up to 120fps for titles and screens that allow it should the GPU be able to push that anyway.

The only people that will care about 5-10 FPS is not people playing in 4k it's gamers wanting the highest FPS in 1080p

These charts you see online showing a 13900k Vs a 12900k for eg in the 2-300+ FPS silly numbers in lower resolutions, Of course that's going to make it look worse than it is high FPS in lower resolutions has always been a bottleneck between memory and CPU but no one is getting stupid high 2-300 FPS numbers on a 4090 in 4k it's irrelevant to be perfectly honest.

It's important to that strange breed who go online to claim the difference is important to everyone in a more complex narrative. It's as if their reality is a stupidly high hz gaming refresh for that lucrative fps gaming contract where every frame counts, when in reality they're flying planes around in a simulation and an extra frame or two might make the clouds look a bit better.

Back
Top Bottom