• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

TrM

TrM

Associate
Says who? NVidia? Sounds like marketing guff to me.

Were the cards really "incorrectly boosting too high" or was that how they were designed to boost and they've nerfed the speeds a bit due to the crashing problems?

Sounds very fishy to me to suggest that NVidia just happened to make a mistake with their drivers that caused the cards to boost too high at the exact same time that there was this variation in capacitor implementation by the AIBs which exacerbated the problem.

why does it have to be either of them . To me persoanlly drivers and bios problems are present in every launch. But the 3080 is a whole new gpu from architecture and a whole new process node nvidia never used before. When reports was coming in about all cards crash to desktop and act ina. Similar behaviour from FE to ASU’s to msi to zotac

the only things they all share is gpu memory and driver’s everything else else is down to there own custom parts and designs.

No one on here if it was for YouTube would be looking at caps etc the gpu is hitting its limit and down to silicon lottery again.

But the story is already out people will think and believe what they like.
The funny part of it is if it was amd it would have been put down to crappy drivers again. Not like nvidia drivers have been good the last 2 years is it

Associate
Liking the look of the Gainward Phantom RTX 3080, I don't think Gainward has been sold in the UK since Pascal. Looks better than the Palit (same manufacturer/parent company). With the RGB turned off

Just my Opinion.
p01094_pic_19645f6c37566b18c.png

Man of Honour
Gainward always used to make nice looking GPUs - shame they don't seem to make any truly special custom GPUs like they used to.

Permabanned
Liking the look of the Gainward Phantom RTX 3080, I don't think Gainward has been sold in the UK since Pascal. Looks better than the Palit (same manufacturer/parent company). With the RGB turned off

Just my Opinion.
p01094_pic_19645f6c37566b18c.png

It is a beautiful card but those holes will be full with dust bunnies :(
A design very difficult to clean or to keep clean.

Soldato

Just my Opinion.

I sorta like the design too but the real one looks too plasticky in real life, almost like a toy. The material choice just doesn't suit it, but I understand - they're trying to keep costs down.

Soldato
It is a beautiful card but those holes will be full with dust bunnies :(
A design very difficult to clean or to keep clean.

I use a meshify s2 case and I've been amazed at how little dust is inside the case after 6 months - it almost still looks new - that's the benefit of having filters on every air in take or out take

Man of Honour
Strix 3080: 2145mhz on air

Looked like 2115 stable - I only flicked through the video though.

I'm surprised they are getting quite those clocks though - I really didn't think on Samsung 8nm there would be more than around +50MHz (boost) overclock potential on average but quite a few cards seem to do better than that.

Caporegime
Looked like 2115 stable - I only flicked through the video though.

I'm surprised they are getting quite those clocks though - I really didn't think on Samsung 8nm there would be more than around +50MHz (boost) overclock potential on average but quite a few cards seem to do better than that.

lots of power (I think the strix has the highest power limits of any AIB boards) plus ASUs have said changing the caps on the strix gave them up to 30mhz extra overclock. And keeping it cool as every 5c above 50c reduces the max boost by 15mhz

plus it might be a silicon lottery winner core on that video.

Back
Top Bottom