• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
1 is not enough for 4K maxed out with 4x TXAA.

And GTA V is not the only game I play that supports SLI.
Do you have the PSU and case space to run 2 huge cards like that? Are you prepared for the troubles to set it up? Are you happy paying an insane £3200 for 10-50% average performance increase and multi-GPU support in only a very limited number of games and hardly any known future support?

Basically... do you understand all of the implications and what you are letting yourself in for?

Last edited:
Soldato
whatbthe hell are you on about. Nothing was nerfed, those cards were incorrectly boosting too high

Having done some actual research and reading, it appears you are completely correct and I was completely wrong.

Only fair to admit when I'm talking ********, my bad.

Associate
1 is not enough for GTA V maxed out at 4K with 4x TXAA.

i wont be using TXAA with SLi.. it should scale less than optimally in theory, have not bothered to try this out yet cuz i tend to generally rely on theoretical explanations, seems to be a good area for experimentation.. hmmm..

multi-GPU support in only a very limited number of games

folks are still trying to figure this out.. dx11 sli (implicit) is not officially supported.. but we dont know if some tweaking can resolve this, thats why the need a confirmation straight from the horses mouth that its dead, dead for good.. even nvidia customer support cant help cuz theyd be sticking to script

the 3090 has something called NVlink.

but seems dx11 SLi has been disabled atleast in drivers.. and i dont know if SLi requires some kind of support in hardware beyond the NVLink.. what i could gather from asking around was that its there to support memory pooling in professional apps that still (and probably will always) rely on OpenGL.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Having done some actual research and reading, it appears you are completely correct and I was completely wrong.

Only fair to admit when I'm talking ********, my bad.
If only he would do the same, he just either disappears for a while or acts like it did not happen and carry’s on. Lol.

Associate
Just spoken to support on the phone regarding concerns raised in another thread about the gigabyte eagle, can confirm no more queue switching without cancelation and reorder, and the queue tracker should be published today or tomorrow.

Associate
So results from my msi ventus are in.

Comparisons between drivers 456.38 and the newer 456.55 released yesterday. It's worth noting that I was not getting any crashes on either. Played modern warfare which was prone to crashes multiple times and it was fine.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/23637867/fs/23637927#

So basically a tiny change in performance, around 1-percent, which is nothing at all. I'm sure i could easily overclock it again to get similar if not better, but i think underclocking and undervolting is much better for these cards - as we are seeing such power savings with minimal loss in performance. I do believe this will open up for more performance gains in the future as it's coming across as a fine wine GPU.

Associate
Do you have the PSU and case space to run 2 huge cards like that? Are you prepared for the troubles to set it up? Are you happy paying an insane £3200 for 10-50% average performance increase and multi-GPU support in only a very limited number of games and hardly any known future support?

Basically... do you understand all of the implications and what you are letting yourself in for?

I’ve been running top SLI cards for 8 years now, and I’m currently using 2 2080Tis. I know very well the advantages and limitations of SLI.

I have a Corsair 900D and a Rampage VI Apex, so space is not an issue.

My PSU is a Corsair AX1200 Gold. It should be enough, but, if it isn’t, I will buy a new one.

I’ll take any additional performance I can get, especially to get a minimum of 60 FPS with everything maxed out at 4K.

Money is not an issue, but where did you get the £3200 from?

I know that SLI is not in great shape at the moment, but there are still quite a few games with decent scaling out there, and I don’t mind tinkering with Nvidia Inspector.

Associate
i wont be using TXAA with SLi.. it should scale less than optimally in theory, have not bothered to try this out yet cuz i tend to generally rely on theoretical explanations, seems to be a good area for experimentation.. hmmm..

folks are still trying to figure this out.. dx11 sli (implicit) is not officially supported.. but we dont know if some tweaking can resolve this, thats why the need a confirmation straight from the horses mouth that its dead, dead for good.. even nvidia customer support cant help cuz theyd be sticking to script

but seems dx11 SLi has been disabled atleast in drivers.. and i dont know if SLi requires some kind of support in hardware beyond the NVLink.. what i could gather from asking around was that its there to support memory pooling in professional apps that still (and probably will always) rely on OpenGL.

I’ve been waiting 5 years to play GTA V maxed out with decent AA. Unfortunately the game doesn’t support TAA, so the only solution is TXAA, which is quite taxing.

Let’s be honest here: Nvidia de facto dropped SLI support a long time ago. This is why I have been using Nvidia Inspector in the last few years. I will keep using 3rd party tools to make SLI work with 2 3090s, as I’ve been doing with my 2080 Tis.

I will let you know how I get on with it.

Back
Top Bottom