• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
I'm still swithering on what way to upgrade my Vega 56 to for 1440P gaming, I'm seriously interested in the 3080 now though. Still holding off onto what AMD have though.

Edit 2004Typer, Seems similar to what I would be after in all honesty.

Associate
Does anyone know NVIDIA's plans for DLSS?

The best part is that dlss is a very flexible approach.. dlss doesn't train online it just can't it needs some kind of feedback, so Nvidia feeds labelled frames to an offline neural model and updates the parameters of the neural model in its next driver release..the driver then uses these parameters to bring perf/iq improvement to your computer.. Nvidia might have patented few specificities of the dlss tech.. but looking at the overall approach, anyone should be able to do this without paying licensing fees

Associate
On the surface at least Death Stranding looks slightly better with DLSS on with regards to textures on moving objects. No idea how it does it. But there definitely are downsides to using it, most noticeably edges of objects in the far distance.

Associate
On the surface at least Death Stranding looks slightly better with DLSS on with regards to textures on moving objects. No idea how it does it. But there definitely are downsides to using it, most noticeably edges of objects in the far distance.

Just watched a video on gamers nexus basically saying far distance objects are blurrier and an article on Techspot for the new DLSS 2.0 won't be as sharp as native and apparently according to that page, Going forward Nvidia will now only use 2.0 for anything that they allow to use DLSS.

But basically Techspot saying not as sharp as native, close but not as sharp, upscaling is great when done correctly but you can't beat native for whatever a screens native resolution is.

Man of Honour
Can you please explain how an upscaled image can look better with a screen that has 4k native resolution like a TV?

I'd be interested to know.

If you are filling in the blanks effectively using AI and doing stuff to make lines and curves crisper etc. it can look "better" than native* - but I'm still not a huge fan - I'd rather have the native image personally.

* Kind of like Optoma does with its "embedding stereoscopic depth information from a human-vision-based model" to make upscaled footage look "HD".

Soldato
Can you please explain how an upscaled image can look better with a screen that has 4k native resolution like a TV?

Easy. Just have Nvidia sponsor your channel to make videos. Then you can call it the magical AI technology of the future which looks better than any other technique ever. :)

Associate
If you are filling in the blanks effectively using AI and doing stuff to make lines and curves crisper etc. it can look "better" than native* - but I'm still not a huge fan - I'd rather have the native image personally.

* Kind of like Optoma does with its "embedding stereoscopic depth information from a human-vision-based model" to make upscaled footage look "HD".

I think you can certainly make it look very good I imagine but when your changing a resolution of a screen that it's not ideally intended for it's not going to look as good.

I don't know what monitors are like changing resolution from their native but you can certainly tell the difference on 4k TVs.

Soldato
I'd be interested to hear how many are looking to upgrade on 1080p 240hz setups.

Certainly with the games I've been playing a lot of over the last year (namely Apex Legends, Modern Warfare/Warzone, PUBG) I have to admit I enjoy that high frame rate experience. Being honest with you the 3080 may be quite attractive if it means I can hit that 240 fps more consistently without completely sacrificing certain options to do so (as I do currently).

Also for anyone looking at FE don't expect it to be delivered next day...just from experience it typically takes a few days to arrive if in stock. I'm certainly considering a FE if I do decide to jump in but will wait for the reviews before deciding.

Soldato
I'd be interested to hear how many are looking to upgrade on 1080p 240hz setups.

Certainly with the games I've been playing a lot of over the last year (namely Apex Legends, Modern Warfare/Warzone, PUBG) I have to admit I enjoy that high frame rate experience. Being honest with you the 3080 may be quite attractive if it means I can hit that 240 fps more consistently without completely sacrificing certain options to do so (as I do currently).

Also for anyone looking at FE don't expect it to be delivered next day...just from experience it typically takes a few days to arrive if in stock. I'm certainly considering a FE if I do decide to jump in but will wait for the reviews before deciding.
Problem with 240hz setups is that you run into CPU & engine bottlenecks more often than not which means it doesn't matter how fast your GPU is it's going to get held back.

Soldato
Problem with 240hz setups is that you run into CPU & engine bottlenecks more often than not which means it doesn't matter how fast your GPU is it's going to get held back.

Totally, a lot of variables in there especially when it comes to certain engines like you say. I've been analysing my GPU usage recently in the games I've been playing and I've certainly been taxing the usage at 99% so certainly not experiencing any CPU bottle necking on my end.

Hopefully the benchmarks on the 16th don't completely ignore 1080p when they arrive but I can certainly understand why 1440p/4k would show the most obvious improvements.

Soldato

Do you know much about DLSS 2.0?

Get on youtube and look at the examples of people comparing the two. Its much easier than asking people on an internet forum to break it down in a single post.

Sometimes DLSS really does look fantastic.

Man of Honour
I think you can certainly make it look very good I imagine but when your changing a resolution of a screen that it's not ideally intended for it's not going to look as good.

I don't know what monitors are like changing resolution from their native but you can certainly tell the difference on 4k TVs.

Not quite sure what you are saying there but DLSS still outputs to the screen at native resolution - it just renders the image internally at a lower resolution then fills in the blanks - the display is still running at native res.

Display scalers tend to do all kinds of horrid things running at non-native resolutions so you generally don't want that.

Back
Top Bottom