• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
Naaa you are just stupid. My passcal titan mined 3 years NON STOP works like dream. Mined over 2000 pounds on it thats why i got FREE 3080. Man this card been on 24/7 since DAY ONE thats what watercooling gets you :) Never seen temperature above 50c where stock Titans are 70c+

If You are interested enough do research about impact of operating temperature on silicone degradation

Is that - your electricity bill as well? Lol

Permabanned
Yeah, looks like he's hiding out there after escaping an Nvidia detention camp.

But still, the 3080 is looking like a pretty poor card. The only reason it looks decent to some people, it that the 2080ti was even worse.

Modest power increases and a decent increase in vram and I'd have been all over it, but as such, I think I'll wait and just enjoy the constant depreciation of my 2080ti. All the while playing some awesome games in 4k60 for a couple of years.

So you bought one where as I sat on my 1000 series. ;)

Soldato
Yeah, looks like he's hiding out there after escaping an Nvidia detention camp.

But still, the 3080 is looking like a pretty poor card. The only reason it looks decent to some people, it that the 2080ti was even worse.

Modest power increases and a decent increase in vram and I'd have been all over it, but as such, I think I'll wait and just enjoy the constant depreciation of my 2080ti. All the while playing some awesome games in 4k60 for a couple of years.

Poor card relative to what?

I think it looks okay. Nothing mindblowing, just back to the norm of what performance we should expect, generaton on generation. Its definitely not 90% faster than a 2080 or whatever rubbish NVIDIA are spewing, but it'll be substantially better, which for 4K gaming will be useful as the 2080S and below can struggle at 4k for the newer games.

RDR2, HZD, Flight simulator seem to be the couple of games on my mind which I'd like to see benches for.

Soldato
If true this isn't good. Wonder if it's a early driver issue?

I wouldn't be shocked if the 3080 is not much above a 2080 Ti OC for OC. You never know with a card this souped up if it simply has hit a diminishing returns wall already, sorta how Ryzen CPUs can't do much more than what they do out of the box, so it's not until like the 2nd or 3rd revision that you see proper gains.

Soldato
Does anyone know NVIDIA's plans for DLSS?

A fair few demanding games have come out without DLSS support. I find it a bit embrassing they keep touting this feature without working with developers to get it baked into the most demanding games.
We don't need DLSS in every single game but its pretty clear that demanding games like Flight Simulator, RDR2, HZD could do with an NVIDIA engineer trip and a bit of cheeky cash their way to get it put in the game.

If they're not prepared to do that, isn't it just another PhysX?

Associate
650W has been fine for me since selling my SLI'd 470s back in the day.
I am confident 650W will still suffice with the 3080 when I get it. It's not a cheapo one so should be fine :)

I`ve got an EVGA P2 650W. I feel fairly confident that it'll be fine if I buy an RTX3080. If the GPU is running at full title, and drawing 320 watts, it still lea

Soldato

A fair few demanding games have come out without DLSS support. I find it a bit embrassing they keep touting this feature without working with developers to get it baked into the most demanding games.
We don't need DLSS in every single game but its pretty clear that demanding games like Flight Simulator, RDR2, HZD could do with an NVIDIA engineer trip and a bit of cheeky cash their way to get it put in the game.

Or just buy a card which achieves the res you want to play at, shocking advise I know.

Soldato
Or just buy a card which achieves the res you want to play at, shocking advise I know.

Some games are that demanding that with RTX on at 4K, sadly it just doesn't cut the mustard. Thats where DLSS is really quite awesome. To be able to use very demanding ray tracing but still get 4K.

Nvidia don't need to even do it for every game.. there are few games which won't be 4k/60fps playable at ultra with RTX on.. THOSE are the games which need DLSS.

Sure if you're gaming at 1080p or 1440p, its not an issue. But then I wouldn't be bothered with a new GPU if gaming at those resolutions because a second hand 2080ti/2080 will be a great deal.

Soldato

DLSS is a very important marketing feature for Nvidia, but they don't care to make it widespread, just have it in enough high profile games in order to entice people over AMD. It's the same strategy Nvidia has always had with Gameworks.

Case in point, even though it has engine integration with UE4 they still require the devs to get Nvidia's explicit approval in order to add it to their games, and there's of course a backlog & a bottleneck (and not guaranteed to be given permission either). So if they really cared about adoption they wouldn't wall it off so much, but they don't. It's just there for marketing 1st and foremost. Not only that but whenever you see an RTX game understand that that requires at least 2-3 Nvidia people working alongside the devs, again same as with Gameworks in the past.

Last edited:
Associate
650W has been fine for me since selling my SLI'd 470s back in the day.
I am confident 650W will still suffice with the 3080 when I get it. It's not a cheapo one so should be fine :)

I`m fairly confident that my EVGA P2 650w will be OK with an RTX3080 if I upgrade. If an RTX3080 is drawing about 320w at full tilt, it still leaves around 300w to run my R5 3600, motherboard, cooling fans, and a couple of SSDs (~120w at full load ?).

Soldato
Some games are that demanding that with RTX on at 4K, sadly it just doesn't cut the mustard. Thats where DLSS is really quite awesome. To be able to use very demanding ray tracing but still get 4K.

Nvidia don't need to even do it for every game.. there are few games which won't be 4k/60fps playable at ultra with RTX on.. THOSE are the games which need DLSS.

Sure if you're gaming at 1080p or 1440p, its not an issue. But then I wouldn't be bothered with a new GPU if gaming at those resolutions because a second hand 2080ti/2080 will be a great deal.
Don't know man, seeing 2080 TI still being sold north of £500.

Soldato
DLSS 2.0 can actually look better than native resolution 4k

I think AMD users just don't understand some of NVIDIA's features. An AMD user yesterday mentioned RIS image sharpening comparing it to DLSS... when NVIDIA have their own image sharpening which applies to more games.
Its probably the same with NVIDIA owners not knowing about some of AMD's advantages.

But DLSS 2.0 is definitely real, the problem is support... and its a big big problem IMO.

Soldato
DLSS is a very important marketing feature for Nvidia, but they don't care to make it widespread, just have it in enough high profile games in order to entice people over AMD. It's the same strategy Nvidia has always had with Gameworks.

Case in point, even though it has engine integration with UE4 they still require the devs to get Nvidia's explicit approval in order to add it to their games, and there's of course a backlog & a bottleneck (and not guaranteed to be given permission either). So if they really cared about adoption they wouldn't wall it off so much, but they don't. It's just there for marketing 1st and foremost. Not only that but whenever you see an RTX game understand that that requires at least 2-3 Nvidia people working alongside the games, again same as with Gameworks in the past.

I think you're right. And this is where I lost a lot of respect for them. Hopefully AMD will have an equivalent feature soon and it'll become open standard because DLSS is really game changing when it works.

Associate
Oh dear it gets worse lol.

https://youtu.be/GCtJ5_6YTQ4

Delayed for tuning drivers you reckon, *********

So.....if true, 2080ti is very similar in performance to a 3080, unless the 3080 has a low core clock speed (to leave headroom for a decent OC).

But - in real terms, whilst the performance gain might not be great, it has opened up a level of performance at a price point that was only viable at £1200+.

As a 1070 owner with an appetite to spend only about £500 on a GPU I'm relatively happy - I was planning to get a 3070, but I might stretch a little to get a 3080.

I couldn't justify 1k+ on a GPU, if one at 650 will give me 4k performance at a very good level.

Back
Top Bottom