• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Ampere vs AMD RDNA2, Who Won The GPU Generation (So Far)?

Soldato
Not really, they sell out of every single MBA card they `drop` to the EU. You are upset about it, but welcome to capitalism. Also, you mention those mythical `drops` - they last for under 10 seconds every 2 months (and the 3080 10gb is EOL anyway). So the £700 6700XT is also the £700 3070

Most of my friends have got FE cards and 3080 at that , you don't need to be glued to the screen , set the alert on phone and it's usually between 9am-12pm

I was interested in the 6800xt when AMD showed it at the event but I didn't get the opportunity like Nvidia did to get at MSRP

Caporegime
Intel will be your budget brand offering by then! There's another mindshare worshipped company that seem to be like teflon. If you didnt have AMD we would be shafted then some more. No company is perfect, and AMD are always fouling schoolboy errors when it comes to their GPU marketing, however I recall a time when people still being sheep were retorting 'if only amd could compete..then I would not buy nvidia'
Whilst they clearly do now compete on performance they aren't competing on perf/£, in the UK specifically.

And the truly stupid thing is the UK is one of the few regions where AMD just can't be bought at RRP, whilst nV can. It really doesn't take a genius to see how that's good news for nV and bad news for anyone who wants an AMD card, here. You either have to bend over or buy from the other guy. And many of us won't bend over to the tune of £700 for a mid-range card, when we don't have to.

Soldato
AMD has done nothing to help the consumer get cards at msrp, uk abandoned and the eu drops are non exsistent. With so little marketshare and little interest in radeon, I guess they just said **** it.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Whilst they clearly do now compete on performance they aren't competing on perf/£, in the UK specifically.

AMD had an open net when the cards were releasing last year. They managed to hit the corner flag instead as they mocked stock from nvidia then had none themselves!

Whilst they (AMD) have their foibles, there no need to slap nvidia on the back saying a job well done, when they also have inflated prices who can equally screw you over at the next opportunity! I know lets release the same cards but with a bit more VRAM, lets sneak in a 3080Ti which is pointless instead of just pumping out more 3080's and 3090's to go around..

Associate
No company is perfect, and AMD are always fouling schoolboy errors when it comes to their GPU marketing, however I recall a time when people still being sheep were retorting 'if only amd could compete..then I would not buy nvidia'
Going from "fine beef for hungry people" to asking people to pay wagyu beef price is too much for one generation. The product is not good enough yet for those prices.

Soldato
Going from "fine beef for hungry people" to asking people to pay wagyu beef price is too much for one generation. The product is not good enough yet for those prices.

Totally agree, but I never thought the prices materialised like they did. For example the 6800XT was meant to be around £600, never seen it to be fair. The 6700XT did actually release at £450 but once it sold it never returned and since then seems to be above £700 which is disgusting for that tier tbh.

Soldato
You're missing my point while also making it. I know AMD are selling 100% of what they're making, I just don't agree with how they're splitting it up now, basically excluding the UK market. Sure, it might have cost them more money to adapt to Brexit. But they could easily swallow that up and supply the UK market. If my brother's small EU company based in Spain can do it, I'm sure AMD can.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Its about volume, duty vat and paperwork (and ofc times costs money). The problem is goes back to the consoles , and constrained supply. With the large contracts AMD has with both Sony and MS, gpu`s are the bottom of the silicon wafer pile (tsmc can only crank out so many per customer, and AMD`s lion share is going to its console contracts. Sony themselves have said they sold 13.8 million PS5`s (As of October 2021). If MS have sold similar Xbox, thats 26 million bits of silicon not going to gpu`s. Intel going to Taiwan for its own gpu wont mean any more in the channel); the last 2 years of pandemic (people being stuck in doors), container prices increasing by 1000% or more, car manufacturing is impacted - the list goes on.

Soldato
Most of my friends have got FE cards and 3080 at that , you don't need to be glued to the screen , set the alert on phone and it's usually between 9am-12pm

I was interested in the 6800xt when AMD showed it at the event but I didn't get the opportunity like Nvidia did to get at MSRP

Not everyone can be on a computer or even have a phone to hand when at work.

Caporegime
AMD had an open net when the cards were releasing last year. They managed to hit the corner flag instead as they mocked stock from nvidia then had none themselves!

Whilst they (AMD) have their foibles, there no need to slap nvidia on the back saying a job well done, when they also have inflated prices who can equally screw you over at the next opportunity! I know lets release the same cards but with a bit more VRAM, lets sneak in a 3080Ti which is pointless instead of just pumping out more 3080's and 3090's to go around..
In fairness (to myself) I was very critical of nV's lack of VRAM, and fully committed to going AMD (initially had the 6800XT in my sights...) 100% of the reason I went nV was the FE drops and lack of AMD offerings to compete at those prices.

Right now, nV is the lesser of two evils, but I absolutely do not regard either company as my friend, hah.

Soldato

Who is slapping Nvidia on the back though? All anybody has done in this thread is point out facts. And the Fact is that Nvidia cards are much easier to buy at MSRP than AMD cards. And the 3080Ti isn't pointless, it's actually making use of all available resources, it's using chips that aren't good enough for the 3090.

And somebody called @FoxEye a Nvidia shill/fanboy. LOL, He isn't a fanboy of either company.

As for who won this round. Nvidia did. Their cards are better all rounders and are more easier to get a hold of. However AMD did a brilliant job with RDNA 2 and I am really looking forward to what RDNA 3 bring to the table.

Soldato
I'm quite excited for next gen

AMD got a big performance boost when it decided to split off its generalised GCN into CDNA Compute for HPC and RDNA for gaming.

But Nvidia has stuck with generalised architectures like Turing and Ampere which have a big focus on HPC Compute built in.

Will Nvidia also get a big performance gain now that it's following AMD? In 2022 Nvidias new GPUs come from the Hopper architecture, focus on HPC and Lovelace architecture, focused on gaming. Will this split provide a huge performance uplift by stripping away the HPC elements from the gaming architecture? And also, will it make the new gaming GPUs bad for mining?

Implications I can foresee:

* Removing the compute elements of the architecture makes way for a pure gaming focused architecture for RTX4000

* The new Lovelace architecture may make mining unprofitable on RTX4000, this maintaining a high market price for RTX3000 and killing off any demand for RTX4000 from miners

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Best Graphics Cards for Gaming in 2022

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

1. GeForce RTX 3080
Best Graphics Card Overall, for 4K and More

2. Radeon RX 6800 XT
Best AMD GPU, Forget About DLSS

3. GeForce RTX 3090
Fastest Graphics Card, Great for Creators

4. GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
Best Bang for the Buck Graphics Card

5. GeForce RTX 3070
Excellent 1440p Performance

6. Radeon RX 6700 XT
Good 1440p Graphics Card, Lower Price

7. Radeon RX 6800
Great 1440p Graphics Card, Okay Ray Tracing

8. GeForce RTX 3060 12GB
An Excellent Mainstream Graphics Card

9. Radeon RX 6600 XT
Good Mainstream Performance, Weak RT

10. Radeon RX 6900 XT
AMD's Fastest GPU, Severely Expensive

11. GTX 1660 Super
Best Mainstream Esports / 1080p High Graphics Card

12. GTX 1650 Super
Best Budget Gaming Card That's Not Ancient Tech

13. RX 5500 XT 4GB
Best AMD 'Budget' Gaming Card

Last edited:
Caporegime
The list most likely assumes mrsp prices. I'd put the 6800xt way down purely down to joke pricing. Which amd chose not to address.

Yup, it's rather disgusting of AMD not to sort out their UK store issues tbh. Shows how little they care about gamers imo (esp those who can't afford the crazy MSRP's). Just walking wallets to all these companies.

Soldato
The list most likely assumes mrsp prices. I'd put the 6800xt way down purely down to joke pricing. Which amd chose not to address.

Agree, I would highlight that #10 is in reality is a good option for those considering the AIB 3080's as if your spending around £1200 and you have choice of the two, I would be very tempted on the 6900XT.

Back
Top Bottom