• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Ampere vs AMD RDNA2, Who Won The GPU Generation (So Far)?

Associate
not allowed to make other arrangements

More like can't be bothered to make other arrangements. Look at it, they had a bloc of 28 countries they could have exactly the same arrangements for. Then one decided it wanted to make its own arrangements and the big company just thought they'd manage just fine with the 27 and lose the market from the one. They made enough money from that, no point in making different arrangements for just one country in that territory.

And Brexit contributed to that situation, no matter how much people want to deny it. No Brexit and the above situation wouldn't have come into being.

Associate
Brexit is not the reason why AMD have ignored the UK. There is no common vat or tax policy within the EU. The UK has never been part of the single currency.

So essentially AMD would have different import paperwork, as they already do for their CPU's. So please don't use Brexit as an excuse for AMD shafting their UK customers. Nvidia seem to cope.

Soldato
Brexit is not the reason why AMD have ignored the UK. There is no common vat or tax policy within the EU. The UK has never been part of the single currency.

So essentially AMD would have different import paperwork, as they already do for their CPU's. So please don't use Brexit as an excuse for AMD shafting their UK customers. Nvidia seem to cope.

There is a common border and vat policy for crossing that border.

Associate
There is a common border and vat policy for crossing that border.

Each EU state can charge what vat they choose, that does not go to the EU central bank. It goes to that nations central bank. So its a question of paperwork. Which I've already pointed out doesn't seem to affect the import of AMD cpu's.

Im afraid the chestnut of AMD being the poor underdog, fighting the good fight against nvidia needs to end.

Associate

So you're saying it has had no effect whatsoever? I find that very difficult to believe, what other reason do AMD have for ignoring the UK then?

Associate
So you're saying it has had no effect whatsoever? I find that very difficult to believe, what other reason do AMD have for ignoring the UK then?

Extra paperwork will incur some initial extra costs. Though once software has been updated, this will be minimal. AMD products are not manufactured inside the EU, so the UK will import CPU's and GPU's exactly the same as those nations outside the EU, most of the world. Exactly the same a nvidia. Which manages to sell fe cards in the UK.

Soldato
Extra paperwork will incur some initial extra costs. Though once software has been updated, this will be minimal. AMD products are not manufactured inside the EU, so the UK will import CPU's and GPU's exactly the same as those nations outside the EU, most of the world. Exactly the same a nvidia. Which manages to sell fe cards in the UK.

Thats not how any of that actually works in the real world, only in the minds of Daily Mail readers. Look at the Swiss border as the best example.

Associate
Thats not how any of that actually works in the real world, only in the minds of Daily Mail readers. Look at the Swiss border as the best example.

I read the Telegraph.

All EU trade deals were rolled over once we left the EU. With the UK free to negotiate deals as we see fit.

If your assertion is that it now costs AMD more to transport and sell products directly in to the UK market, then provide evidence.

The biggest effect on imports/exports is the pound and its value in relation to other currencies, something which hasn't changed.

Soldato
With AMD easily being able to offload their cards they probably can't be bothered to sort it out although hopefully it will get fixed eventually as AMD does state it's a temporary measure.
  • We are temporarily unable to process shipments to the United Kingdom.

Associate
I read the Telegraph.

All EU trade deals were rolled over once we left the EU. With the UK free to negotiate deals as we see fit.

If your assertion is that it now costs AMD more to transport and sell products directly in to the UK market, then provide evidence.

The biggest effect on imports/exports is the pound and its value in relation to other currencies, something which hasn't changed.

I see where you're coming from but as you say, effectively nothing has changed, except of course our membership of the single trading bloc.

But none of this answers the question as to why AMD has abandoned the UK market as like you say, everything is the same. Except for one thing. And if it's not that, why else are AMD abandoning the UK market?

Soldato
I read the Telegraph.

Oh dear. I think you need to catch up with what has happened in international trade with the EU since last year , especially regarding cross border vat and the paperwork needed. Everything has changed. The trade agreement hasnt changed the small detail, the UK is now a 3rd nation in regards to the internal market. It does seem you have no experience of logistics or even posting anything to the EU now (or sending out of the EU to the UK). Its nothing like your favourite media source wants to pretend it is. Why do you think this government now wants to walk away from its own `trade deal`? The paper work (and remember , time = money) is not as simple as you pretend it is. All items have to land tax paid, in both directions, with no `gift` options.

Soldato
I see where you're coming from but as you say, effectively nothing has changed, except of course our membership of the single trading bloc.

But none of this answers the question as to why AMD has abandoned the UK market as like you say, everything is the same. Except for one thing. And if it's not that, why else are AMD abandoning the UK market?
There are thousands of companies trading from the EU to the UK and AMD is a very large global Corp so could soon get it all set up and running but my guess is that they can't really be bothered since they are only going to reduce profits by selling MSRP cards in the UK so have probably used Brexit as an excuse to not bother until the market returns to more normality.

Oh dear. I think you need to catch up with what has happened in international trade with the EU since last year , especially regarding cross border vat and the paperwork needed. Everything has changed. The trade agreement hasnt changed the small detail, the UK is now a 3rd nation in regards to the internal market. It does seem you have no experience of logistics or even posting anything to the EU now (or sending out of the EU to the UK). Its nothing like your favourite media source wants to pretend it is. Why do you think this government now wants to walk away from its own `trade deal`? The paper work (and remember , time = money) is not as simple as you pretend it is. All items have to land tax paid, in both directions, with no `gift` options.

If AMD wanted they could just fly or ship the cards in directly from China / Taiwan etc and circumvent any travel across the EU but they can't be bothered to on cards at MSRP prices that make less profit margins.

Soldato

Except everything has changed, the visa fee is the next thing coming and thats for tourists. The numbers of companies trading from the UK<>EU (the Small to medium ones) is dropping substantially, as once again, paperwork = time = money. Just look at the problems getting items to Northern ireland.

Associate

We are not importing AMD graphic cards from the EU. Why do you insist importing products from outside the EU has has increased costs due to leaving the EU?

You do realise that the EU is a protectionist trade block?

I repeat again for you. The cards are imported from outside the EU, exactly the same as the rest of the world. Nvidia have no issue selling fe cards in the UK, why not AMD.

Tell us the extra costs....

Soldato
We are not importing AMD graphic cards from the EU. Why do you insist importing products from outside the EU has has increased costs due to leaving the EU?

I repeat again for you. The cards are imported from outside the EU, exactly the same as the rest of the world. Nvidia have no issue selling fe cards in the UK, why not AMD.

Fair dues to you, You have far more patience than me!! I wonder will he finally get your point or try to explain Brexit to you again. The daily mail insult has spectacularly backfired.

Soldato

Thank you for confirming you have no idea how any of this works. Nvidia nor AMD direct ship to the UK etailers, they have distributors (aka the channel) who ship to hubs for distribution and these land in the EU; Nvidia for example have a uk distributor but the product lands duty paid in the EU (Rotterdam ). Anothe example is Linus Tech Tips and his `Gpus for Gamers` programme. He had a supply deal with a GPU maker (EVGA) and they exported from Taiwan with the distributor. - however the next step, the distributor sold the shipment at a higher price to someone else. Crappy? Yes, but welcome to capitalism in the USA. You are looking at this from the view of a consumer and not how the entire logistics systems works; again time = money. Importers and distributors land the product then it is moved in the channel till it ends up for the consumer to purchase, each step increases cost. As for flying, the cost for pallet freight is unbelievably high now , i think Gibbo had some cards flown in, and for a small box of under 50 - it was substantially more cost than just the use of a container ($15,000 for 1 trip from Japan to the UK). The entire system is called - logistics.

Soldato
Fair dues to you, You have far more patience than me!! I wonder will he finally get your point or try to explain Brexit to you again. The daily mail insult has spectacularly backfired.

Someone else who doesnt understand how any of this works. Your prefered choice of media tells you what you want to hear, but its nothing like how it actually works.

Ciaran The Van Driver & A Leave Voter Visit Swiss "Friction Border" (BBC Inside Out) - YouTube

Thats 1 item. GPU makers pay other companies to ship product and again time and extra paperwork = money

Associate
Thank you for confirming you have no idea how any of this works. Nvidia nor AMD direct ship to the UK etailers, they have distributors (aka the channel) who ship to hubs for distribution and these land in the EU; Nvidia for example have a uk distributor but the product lands duty paid in the EU (Rotterdam ). Anothe example is Linus Tech Tips and his `Gpus for Gamers` programme. He had a supply deal with a GPU maker (EVGA) and they exported from Taiwan with the distributor. - however the next step, the distributor sold the shipment at a higher price to someone else. Crappy? Yes, but welcome to capitalism in the USA. You are looking at this from the view of a consumer and not how the entire logistics systems works; again time = money. Importers and distributors land the product then it is moved in the channel till it ends up for the consumer to purchase, each step increases cost. As for flying, the cost for pallet freight is unbelievably high now , i think Gibbo had some cards flown in, and for a small box of under 50 - it was substantially more cost than just the use of a container ($15,000 for 1 trip from Japan to the UK). The entire system is called - logistics.

Any company is free to ship to any distribution hub they wish. To remain stagnant is to embrace failure, you do understand that concept? Do you genuinely think everything remains static in business?

The UK has the 5th largest economy, with a population of 68 million. Our economy is forecast to outstrip the EU in 2022. If AMD don't wish to service this market, someone will. Well they have, nvidia.

Why can nvidia support the UK market, yet AMD have failed? Its a paradox you're yet to answer.

Back
Top Bottom