NVidia announce 4K 65" 120Hz HDR GSync

Associate
Hmm, same DPI as a 32" @ 1080p.

Doesn't matter.

At 65" you are going to be wanting to sit very far back so the resolution/pixels will not be noticeable at all.

What I was getting at is it's a great spec for a monitor but surely too big at 65" And if you sit so far away that you can't see the pixels would you really notice the difference between 60hz and 120hz?

Caporegime
What I was getting at is it's a great spec for a monitor but surely too big at 65" And if you sit so far away that you can't see the pixels would you really notice the difference between 60hz and 120hz?

Depends on the person. I'm sure there are many that would love a 65" screen, personally I wouldn't.

And yes the difference between 60 and 120HZ is noticeable no matter the viewing distance.

Caporegime
I'd be up for trying one as I can sit about 3.5ft away from it, but it would have to be a matte screen rather than a glossy (I hate them!).

The more I hear the more it seems that these are gonna be insanely pricing, so I'll get an OLED instead and suffer the gloss!

Soldato
This screams PR stunt and proof of concept as opposed to a widely available consumer product, especially given what the price will be. As already stated, the business case for a 40" model is FAR stronger... I've lost count the number of times I've seen people asking for that on pretty much every monitor forum you visit, and I include myself in that. Many X34 owners who've already splurged a grand on their monitors would easily see that as the logical upgrade path. Let's hope they see sense, as I can't see what the technological barrier would be if they've got it working at 65", and given the pre-existing mass manufacturing of 40" size panels, you'd think they'd be able to get the cost down to something half reasonable. Time will tell I guess, but massive missed opportunity if they don't see this.

Soldato
i have a 55" and it is too big to game on comfortably without sitting at least 6' away minimum. a 65" is ridiculous for desktop gaming.

That is way too big. Eye strain, and also no backlight

65" for gaming display, sync, etc for PC gaming system, sky, consoles where you have a few meters distance? Sure.
65" for monitor if you have it within arms reach? No, it's far too close.

Associate
This screams PR stunt and proof of concept as opposed to a widely available consumer product, especially given what the price will be. As already stated, the business case for a 40" model is FAR stronger... I've lost count the number of times I've seen people asking for that on pretty much every monitor forum you visit, and I include myself in that. Many X34 owners who've already splurged a grand on their monitors would easily see that as the logical upgrade path. Let's hope they see sense, as I can't see what the technological barrier would be if they've got it working at 65", and given the pre-existing mass manufacturing of 40" size panels, you'd think they'd be able to get the cost down to something half reasonable. Time will tell I guess, but massive missed opportunity if they don't see this.
Yeah i agree 40" would be the ideal size

Associate
Whilst I would love one of these for the sheer novelty I don't think this is the kind of thing could use daily when I sit about 30CM from my screen lol

Soldato
Does seem a bit silly for desktop use, Something like 40-55" I think would be better, it would still look huge on a desk, would be more practical eg. actually fit on a desk, and it would have better PPI.

Soldato

Well in probably 2019 or 2020, it is quite possible there will be 4k 120hz TV's with HDMI 2.1 adaptive sync, and also if that becomes common in TV's, its a lot more likely Nvidia would support it. So at that point, other than maybe lower lag, there would be no point getting a PC monitor, just get a TV and use it as monitor.

Associate
I don't really get it personally. I had my pc in the living room, on a separate desk with its own monitor. I've literally just sold my 4k 60hz predator display in anticipation of the Rog Swift PG27UQ and Acers alternative. Frustrating as no news on these and NVidia messing about with these 65 inch monsters. Even though PC is in the same room as my TV and I quite often connect the two up, this still wouldn't convince me to go for the 65'' BFGR or whatever they're called. Why...

Soldato
It's a good publicity stunt but that's all it is IMO.

I mean what advantage does this have over say a 40" monitor of the same spec, the fact you get to sit further from it so you get less CRT radiation? lol.

Associate
OP
Tend to agree on it being a PR driven decision and really don't see them shifting much volume.

So, here's hoping it is just a showcase of the technology and that we'll see it trickle down to 32/40" monitors.

Quite sad that there's not been anything in the way of news on high refresh UW or other 4k 120Hz monitors....

Soldato
It's a good publicity stunt but that's all it is IMO.

I mean what advantage does this have over say a 40" monitor of the same spec, the fact you get to sit further from it so you get less CRT radiation? lol.

Exactly, no advantage whatsoever. Size seems to be everything when it comes to CES and these big events... 40" would create FAR more excitement among the actual customer base, for a product which would actually be in demand and be practical for desktop use (just), but this is just bizarre really. It's like they're purely seeking attention grabbing headlines, but without really caring about a genuinely desirable product that could potentially sell in significant numbers and offer a true upgrade path to something like the X34. Very odd indeed.

Associate
Good timing, they're months away :p

This may well be the case. Who knows. If you do, I'd be grateful of any tidbits of information.

I've been keeping eyes peeled and other than the autumn press release that the panels are delayed to Q1 2018, not seen or heard anything else.

Either way I'm in no hurry and sold it (and GPUs) for a good price whilst it had some half decent residual value.

I won't be buying anything until next gen GPUs come along.

Associate
i suppose it depends what game your playing really, would love one of these for elite dangerous, the immersion would be great, but to buy something at this price for one game would be a bit silly, but saying that there are people out there serious into flight sims who would buy this rather than having 6 x 27" monitors in eyefinity mode.

Man of Honour
i suppose it depends what game your playing really, would love one of these for elite dangerous, the immersion would be great, but to buy something at this price for one game would be a bit silly, but saying that there are people out there serious into flight sims who would buy this rather than having 6 x 27" monitors in eyefinity mode.

I've played ED on 4K both 28" and 45 or 48" (can't remember exact size) displays and it looks really good - space games often do really well on wall sized displays.

If someone makes a version that does proper picture by picture mode (though it would have to have G-Sync working :s for at least one of the inputs which might screw things up a bit) - without the additional latency, resolution oddities, weird borders or softening of the image that seems to happen with PBP/PIP on most displays I'd be pretty tempted - I'd stick a 2560x1440@120Hz input at the bottom right for normal use and have some additional inputs from my laptop, etc. in the renaming space and then maybe switch over to using the whole display when watching a movie or playing racing games, etc.

Back
Top Bottom