• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia CEO says next gaming GPUs won't come for "a long time"

Permabanned
Now I'm even more confused, if it's the latest and greatest why call it a gimmick, anyway some versions (I believe only DV, HLG and HDR+) of HDR contains metadata to accurately display the image on a scene by scene basis hence detail in blacks and intensity in whites, by simply raising the brightness on a set and setting vibrance and hue to simply make the colours pop does not mimic HDR.
On a dull scene utilising HDR the image is dull yet the detail stands out and certain areas will have a deeper gamut allowing the blacks to have further detail along with the lighter areas.

My old Sony TV @300 odd nits had HDR along with a 10bit panel yet it could never mimic what my OLED produces via a 4k HDR Blu-ray. It's night and day (literally) difference. No tweaking of brightness or anything else will achieve it on that set.

Falsely telling people that adjusting a few settings and your good to go is nothing like the real thing.

I remember a perfect TV image 15 years ago on analogue channels. The picture was bright, crisp, colours rich. Everything you could have asked for.
And then one "sunny, bright" day (around 2004-2006) something happened and that picture disappeared. Instead, a dark, dull DVB picture appeared.

Today, the industry is trying somehow to bring back that with tricks like HDR which are supposed to sell more, but I am not convinced at all, no more.

Soldato
I agree there was a dip when we 1st went digital , and some standard def chanels were better than others (iirc bbc1 was far better than itv for instance) bit there are serious rose tinted specs going on if you think even a 1080p image is not far better to analogue on your old CRT mate

And as for HDR..... HDR improvement imo is massive it is far more impressive than the jump for 1080p to 4k.... However not all HDR TVs are created equally.
(But then what do I know, I admit to liking 3d on TV)

Permabanned
I would have thought the work involved to disable the cores would make the exercise pointless from a cost point of view.

I have noticed that NVidia are still selling 1080s and 1070 Ti FE cards direct which is more likely what is happening the any extra boards.

I also think that board partners will end up using excess boards if NVidia does not give them anything else to sell.

Eventually but Pascal's over 2 years old now and the market is finite. I suppose it'll be down to how long they're willing to leave things once sales have slowed down?

Associate
I remember a perfect TV image 15 years ago on analogue channels. The picture was bright, crisp, colours rich. Everything you could have asked for.
And then one "sunny, bright" day (around 2004-2006) something happened and that picture disappeared. Instead, a dark, dull DVB picture appeared.

Today, the industry is trying somehow to bring back that with tricks like HDR which are supposed to sell more, but I am not convinced at all, no more.

You cannot mimmick hdr on an sdr panel.
Hdr can have the same colour on screen at different brightness at the same time. Put the backlight brightness up and down on your panel. You are not changing the colour, just the brightness. Now see the white at 0% and compare to the same white at 100% backlight. On HDR both those whites can be displayed on screen at the same time.

Permabanned
Hdr can have the same colour on screen at different brightness at the same time. Put the backlight brightness up and down on your panel. You are not changing the colour, just the brightness. Now see the white at 0% and compare to the same white at 100% backlight. On HDR both those whites can be displayed on screen at the same time.

There is no such thing as an HDR and an SDR panel. There is difference just 8-bit and 10-bit and how the software decides to send the signal to the screen.
HDR is a marketing crap which will not force me ever to buy such a screen.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
There is no such thing as an HDR and an SDR panel. There is difference just 8-bit and 10-bit and how the software decides to send the signal to the screen.
I don’t get this forcing business. They never force anyone to do anything as far as I am concerned. I am still using and very happy with my 50” 1080P LG Plasma TV which I have had for ages. Still looks as good as it did when I purchased it and does what I need.

When I upgrade, it will not be because anyone forced me or because of a single feature like hdr. It will be because I fancy something new and an overall better package on a bigger screen will be available at a price point I will deem it to be worth me upgrading. Plus it will be a dual purpose purchase as this TV will go into another room :)

My friend has the latest LG OLED TV and I like what I see. But the price needs to come down a bit more yet and I would like to see maybe one with freesync. Right now I am thinking of getting a 2019 model just as the 2020 ones come out and the 2019 ones get a mega discount. Overall not feeling in a rush as what I have is doing a fantastic job still for watching tv and movies. Also I have had multiple 4K monitors since 2014 which I like for work and gaming, so that probably also contributes to why I have not felt the need to rush to go 4K yet on my TV.

Soldato

You say there is no such thing, so why when I run a HDR source through my oled does it pick up the metadata and display the type of HDR signal it's recieving at the top of the screen. Surely if it were a trick then the panel would simply turn the brightness up and if that is all it does then the metadata is telling the panel to do this via the HDR metadata.

What amazes me is that you are trying to mimic a HDR source from SDR material by turning the brightness up on your 10bit (8bit+FRC) panel however you would actually require a HDR source to display the full spectrum. I guess you won't be watching HDR trickster material either?

Associate

Ok instead of using the word panel i will say screen.
Still doesn't change my point, this cannot be emulated on your screen. Why doesn't my 10bit panel monitor look anything like the hdr pic on my tv. If you are right both should be comparable, but the hdr capable screen looks far better. The 10bit non hdr screen cannot emulate the highlights. The highlights are from brighter pixels mixed with lower luminance. My 10 bit non hdr cannot do this and shows with a noticeably inferior pic.

Caporegime
Lol, I've never seen so much utter nonsense being spouted about HDR..... :o

Go watch proper HDR clips on a display with true HDR support and then come back to me and tell me it looks the same or worse than a SDR display.

Aside from OLED panel, HDR tech. is the next best thing for improving IQ and it isn't just about "zOMG, more vibrant colours!!!!!!!!!"

Soldato
Lol, I've never seen so much utter nonsense being spouted about HDR..... :o

Go watch proper HDR clips on a display with true HDR support and then come back to me and tell me it looks the same or worse than a SDR display.

Aside from OLED panel, HDR tech. is the next best thing for improving IQ and it isn't just about "zOMG, more vibrant colours!!!!!!!!!"

zOMG runs and strokes his OLED :p

Caporegime
Wait, what? The difference between light green and dark green is just "changing the brightness", and they very much are different colours.

When you turn the brightness up on your display you 100% change the colours as you do so.

Soldato
Wait, what? The difference between light green and dark green is just "changing the brightness", and they very much are different colours.

When you turn the brightness up on your display you 100% change the colours as you do so.

But how do you turn the brightness down on one part of the screen (for instance in shadow) whilst at the same time turning it up in another part of the screen which has, for instance shafts of sunlight shining through a window?. I only recently got by HDR set but really it is a huge difference in the over all image quality interns of realism. For gaming its massive as well. Again though to reiterate not all screens are created equally.
But hey you know what to each their own IF you truly can't see the difference on a well setup screen with HDR on Vs off you can save yourself a boat load of money as arguably good HDR is the biggest difference between a £800 entry level lg set and a top of the Range £2000+ TV so it's great for you.

Soldato
HDR was never about brightness and darkness. It's about a greater range of colours (including dark blacks and bright whites) that is closer to the range that humans can see, (as opposed to the more limited range that an older display or camera can reproduce) giving a better, more life-like range of shades. If you can't see the difference, you may well have one of the more minor versions of colour blindness.

Caporegime
But how do you turn the brightness down on one part of the screen (for instance in shadow) whilst at the same time turning it up in another part of the screen which has, for instance shafts of sunlight shining through a window?. I only recently got by HDR set but really it is a huge difference in the over all image quality interns of realism. For gaming its massive as well. Again though to reiterate not all screens are created equally.
But hey you know what to each their own IF you truly can't see the difference on a well setup screen with HDR on Vs off you can save yourself a boat load of money as arguably good HDR is the biggest difference between a £800 entry level lg set and a top of the Range £2000+ TV so it's great for you.
I think his point is that you can interpret the HDR data on a non-HDR 10-bit screen, by having a sufficiently bright back-light and a good quality screen with a decent black level (low backlight bleed).

The only reason that I can see why being able to control the backlight brightness per region/pixel, is that LCD screens typically aren't great at delivering deep blacks, and suffer from backlight bleed.

Your eye doesn't care whether it's dynamic back-light brightness or just really low back-light bleed and a bright back-light (with sufficient subpixels to have sufficient steps in brightness per pixel); you end up in the same place as far as your eye is concerned. Hence why OLED doesn't need HDR...

Caporegime
HDR was never about brightness and darkness. It's about a greater range of colours (including dark blacks and bright whites) that is closer to the range that humans can see, (as opposed to the more limited range that an older display or camera can reproduce) giving a better, more life-like range of shades. If you can't see the difference, you may well have one of the more minor versions of colour blindness.
Brightness, darkness and colour are the same thing. You get more colours by having more distinct brightness levels per channel.

The people saying "brightness and and colour are different" are just plain wrong.

Associate

Ok, ill try explain in a different way.

White at sq 255 at 100% brightness is the same shade at 0% but far more nits.
I am saying i can have sq 255 open twice at the same time, 255 @ 100 and 255 @ 0.
How you mimic this? I have never seen or been close to seeing this on my 10 bit panel plus if it is software, why doesnt someone jusy show all the manufacturers up and give all with 10bit panel hdr.

Reading my post back, im not really explaining myself well. Sorry for that. My overall point is to counter the posts saying its a gimmick and can be mimicked on a normal display.
I havent been able to get anywhere near the same pic on my sdr screen as my hdr one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom