• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Delays GTX 1650 Reviews by Withholding Drivers

Soldato
AKA it's terrible and overpriced. You can find 8gb 580s for less than £170 now, Powercolor ones too...

It's quite clear Nvidia is pushing these cards out to try and make up for the losses on the RTX range, but they are just all poor value.

Last edited:
Associate
God its crowded in the low-mid end. Same performance for very slightly less price as of the last few years. Very similar cards spaced £20-£30-£50 apart. Really feels pointless. Last couple of years have been very disappointing for gpu progression.

Soldato
if you want a low power card at 1080p, a 1030 is perfect, really low power usage, and if you don't smash it with AA it'll play whatever you throw at it at playable framerates, for £80 it's brill

Wow when did that go up in price?

I brought my 1030 a while back for low power display output on my ESXi rig, and it was sub £50. Plus this was when they actually came with proper video memory as well. :)

Soldato
Wow when did that go up in price?

I brought my 1030 a while back for low power display output on my ESXi rig, and it was sub £50. Plus this was when they actually came with proper video memory as well. :)

I actually checked after I posted and the £80 Asus one I was thinking of was £10 more lol

Think I bought mine for a low price too, definitely wasn't as high as £90 or even £80.

Associate
It's still the best GPU on the market to upgrade a PC that doesn't have a 6 pin adapter. It's also more convenient than buying a new PSU and a 570 and fannying about with the PSU connectors.

Is it a good card if you have a 6 pin? No. But you have to look at what it's market and purpose actually is. For it's power draw it's the best on the market.

Soldato
But what PSU doesn't have a 6 pin connector now? If it's for gaming people want the fastest card they can get for the money which is a 580. If it's not for gaming or low end stuff you can just use the Intel/AMD APU.

Soldato
But what PSU doesn't have a 6 pin connector now? If it's for gaming people want the fastest card they can get for the money which is a 580. If it's not for gaming or low end stuff you can just use the Intel/AMD APU.

The 1650 is totally pointless except for those who need/can only use a bus powered card.
I disagree with the rx580 being the fastest for the money, yes it comes with 8gb vs 6gb for £30 cheaper, but a gtx1660 is quite a bit more powerful and when oc'd hits 1660ti levels and comes in SFF and uses a lot less power so a very basic 300watt psu can still cope with a Gtx1660, a half decent psu 400-500 is required for an Rx580/590. The rx570 is a good buy but at 3 years old, it's time we saw Navi.

Soldato
The 1660 is over £200 which is again too expensive. It's around the same price as a 590, which is faster. You don't really need a 500w PSU for them either and they undervolt a lot.

Associate
It's still the best GPU on the market to upgrade a PC that doesn't have a 6 pin adapter. It's also more convenient than buying a new PSU and a 570 and fannying about with the PSU connectors.

Is it a good card if you have a 6 pin? No. But you have to look at what it's market and purpose actually is. For it's power draw it's the best on the market.
but its not better value than a used 1050 ti, and likely if you're saving money by upgrading an old system without additional PCI power you'd be happy to buy a 2nd hand GPU

Caporegime

mmm... i think if you couldn't afford to spend around £40 on a half decent power supply to start with then you can't afford a £150 GPU.
The whole point of a PCIe only powered GPU is that they are also very cheap, so they are affordable for the very budget minded, this isn't, its very expensive.

Soldato
LMAO at enthusiasts going about PSUs when they probably overspec them most of the time. I have a mini-ITX system and have run an RX470 with the highest stock clocks and a GTX1080 and power consumption at the wall is well under 300W. I use a pint sized 450W PSU.

I assume the level of excitement some of you have for the GTX1650,will make you instant Navi fans with the rumoured bus powered one with RX580 level performance. Meh.

The TU117 will be far more interesting in laptops.

Caporegime
LMAO at enthusiasts going about PSUs when they probably overspec them most of the time. I have a mini-ITX system and have run an RX470 with the highest stock clocks and a GTX1080 and power consumption at the wall is well under 300W. I use a pint sized 450W PSU.

I assume the level of excitement some of you have for the GTX1650,will make you instant Navi fans with the rumoured bus powered one with RX580 level performance. Meh.

The TU117 will be far more interesting in laptops.

Yeah, Costs more than the RX 570 and is significantly slower, several games over 20% slower, one or two over 30% slower.

But its good because if you don't have a 6 pin PICe connector on your PSU then the GTX 1650 is than card for you :D

Some people are perpetual apologists for nVidia, still now when there not buying their higher end cards because nVidia have priced them out of reach, madness.

Soldato
Yeah, Costs more than the RX 570 and is significantly slower, several games over 20% slower, one or two over 30% slower.

But its good because if you don't have a 6 pin PICe connector on your PSU then the GTX 1650 is than card for you :D

Some people are perpetual apologists for nVidia, still now when there not buying their higher end cards because nVidia have priced them out of reach, madness.

Another consideration is many of the systems which might ship with PSUs without PCI-E power connectors,tend to be low profile form factors using FlexATX or TFX PSUs,and AFAIK I have not seen any low profile GTX1650 cards released yet(it took some time for low profile GTX1050TI cards to appear over here and they were not cheap). At least those might have a use,but again dependent on how big the PSU is also and how good the case will be at venting another 60W~70W of heat.

Some of the designs at launch look like someone putting go faster stripes and a giant rear wing on a Austin Metro 1 litre.

Edit!!

OTH,I would like to see how the GT1030 replacement looks like. If that can stay at the same 30W TDP might be actually a good fit for a media system if it has an improved video decode capability.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Another consideration is many of the systems which might ship with PSUs without PCI-E power connectors,tend to be low profile form factors using FlexATX or TFX PSUs,and AFAIK I have not seen any low profile GTX1650 cards released yet(it took some time for low profile GTX1050TI cards to appear over here and they were not cheap). At least those might have a use,but again dependent on how big the PSU is also and how good the case will be at venting another 60W~70W of heat.

Some of the designs at launch look like someone putting go faster stripes and a giant rear wing on a Austin Metro 1 litre.

Edit!!

OTH,I would like to see how the GT1030 replacement looks like. If that can stay at the same 30W TDP might be actually a good fit for a media system if it has an improved video decode capability.

Yeah i agree, if you're building a system where you're looking at TFX PSU then the system you're building is very small, so small the single fan PCIe powered 1650 is way too big for, if you're building a system where the card fits in the case its a case for ordinary 'if small chassis PSU's' which all have PCIe connectors.

The GTX 1650 is not a GPU designed for micro-builds, its an ordinary GPU that's power efficient enough 'if you don't run it at higher clocks' to stay within a 75 Watt PCIe TDP, given that its significantly slower than the RX 570 and yet still more expensive its the only thing going for it, so that's the band wagon everyone who wants to defend nVidia and this card jumps on.

Soldato
I run a TFX Power 2 300W in an Elite 110, 3 years ago I put in a homemade Itx Rx470, It was quickly swapped out with my current Gtx1060 6g.
I used to own 7x Rx570's itx's, now down to just 1.

For some the power consumption vs performance is more critical than others.

Back
Top Bottom