• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 / 980 Review Thread**

Soldato
OP
Well I'd like to know how both the 780Ti and the 980 run when both are clocked at 1200mhz, considering the 780Ti they're testing is still clocked at 875mhz and we all know its got another 35% of extra performance available I doubt clock for clock the 980 would beat the 780Ti, now the question is how high does the 980 clock with the stock fan.

+1

Find out very soon..

Soldato
OP
The GTX 970 is looking like a great lil card, able to trade blows with the 290X, low power consumption and price. The best gaming card bang for buck that Nvidia has done for a while.

Soldato
OP
I wanted a card that could perform around GTX 780 Ti / 290X level at a lower cost and lower power consumption, I think tbh Nvidia delivered that with the GTX 970. Seriously tempted to get one of them, I could sell my 780 TI, I would actually make profit in the process :p

Soldato
OP
Tempted by the GTX970. I have a GTX780 now so I know the 970 would only be a bit faster, and so maybe a bit of a side-grade. However I do a lot of streaming so the H.265 encoder in the 970 should give a nice improvement to stream quality. Also using way less power. Anyone know if it is a full hardware H.265 encoder? I read somewhere it might not, and would be a mix of hardware/software encoding.

Bit faster, extra GB or ram, cooler running and less power use. Direct X12 support (Not sure if different from older cards?), new features..

Might be worth it if you can sell your 780, 970 is great price VS performance. The best from Nvidia in a long time imho.

Soldato
OP
My 290 at 1250Mhz is 3fps behind on Graphics test 1 and 4fps behind on graphics test 2.

And that's with a 350Mhz ( 28% ) lower core clock.

Up my 290 framerate by 25% and I end up 12fps in front in graphics test 1 and 8fps in front.

I thin if AMD sort the power consumption and overclock ceiling they'll easily be able to handle these new Nvidia cards.

Yeah eventually they will get there, but right now the GTX 970 just embarrasses the 290 and 290X, performance VS power use is insane on these 970/980 cards. Plus the price on 970 just to rub salt into the wound :p

AMD will counter and than Nvidia will drop the 'Ti' and possibly 'Titan'. the cycle continues..

I hope AMD come out strong with their next lot of cards.

Soldato
OP
I agree, the 970 really does look like brilliant value for money, if I had anything less than my current card I would probably upgrade to one, and I haven't owned an nvidia card since the 8800.

Hopefully when the die shrink to 20nm happens we will still get some cards in this value for money region.

+1

Imagine what is capable on 20nm with Maxwell :eek:

Then after that Pascal and 16nm..

pjQqaTp.gif

Soldato
OP
TBF, the 290's at their current prices on ocuk are still cheaper once you factor in the free games you get.

I got £36 for my games when I bought my 290 a few months ago and now you have the choice of alien isolation and a few other newer/upcoming games so people will probably get at least £45/50 for the games alone thus bringing the 290's down to about £200-210.

They have the advantage of operating as a space heater in the winter months as well.

Heating aside though, for gaming performance VS price the GTX 970 is king.

vA2GyED.png

Soldato
OP
At this price point, the GTX 980 beats AMD's Radeon R9 290X in everything: price/performance, absolute performance, performance per watt, power consumption, heat, and noise. The only thing the R9 290X has going for it is its lower price, which I hardly find convincing, especially with the GTX 970 being cheaper and faster. The GTX 970 at $330 is a steal, really. It is not that much slower than the GTX 980, still beats AMD's R9 290X, with better pricing, and brings all the amazing power consumption improvements of the GTX 980 to the table. Simply put, the GTX 980 is the premium product to the GTX 970, and you'll have to pay for that. NVIDIA has declared the GTX 780 Ti, GTX 780 and GTX 770 as end-of-life, so you might find those cards at discounted prices. Personally, I wouldn't upgrade from anything more recent than the GTX 680, but users of older cards should definitely look at NVIDIA's new products. Oh, and AMD seems ******.

Lol at that conclusion :p

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980/31.html

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've always had a soft spot for ATI/AMD so i hope he's wrong :(

Competition is good, I bet you something AMD will be planning something fierce for their next lot of cards, they may not be able to compete on performance per watt on 28nm, but we could see cards that have huge raw performance, maybe with stock AIO to keep cool, the performance though which is a what a lot of enthusiast care about most, and don't really care about power consumption..

If AMD can get onto 20nm before Nvidia they can still get some market share there, thing is Nvidia's margins on these 9XX cards will be huge, sales are massive already, and they could have the 980 Ti waiting in the wings.. Soaking up the market share.. Not gonna be an easy task for AMD for sure.. They will be fine though. ATI/AMD seem to thrive when pressured in the GPU department.. Not so much the CPU one..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My gentleman's area gets baked from radiator heat output, roll on winter :D

If amd go the aio route on reference it could be a colossal failure, want to run 2-3 of them, buy a big case that can take them or don't bother. I doubt they will, but they could be smart with it and make the hoses and rads modular.

It's a good point, maybe there next move will go be to go straight to 20nm?

Or maybe they are on track to be the next 3DFX, they have launched their own API.. All they need now is to be completely outclassed in hardware by Nvidia... Oh wait :p

Back
Top Bottom