• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
I was position 45 in the Strix 3080 OC queue, I was quite surprised to get an email.

Only £40 to go from a 3080 to 3070ti? I assume everyone's "upgrade" prices were different then? I paid £709 release day for my 3080 and the 3070ti upgrade is £800

As far as I can tell, everyone's options differed based on the queue you were originally in. For example, I was in a queue for the Strix OC and most of my cards 'on offer' were Asus. The two cheapest 3070 Tis for me were a £66 price hike and an Amp Holo for a rebate. These may be slightly inaccurate as at least one price was adjusted after I sent an initial webnote but whoever's in contact with you will tell you that at the time. The upgrade I ended up going for - Strix 3080Ti - was £264 cheaper in the actual transaction than it was listed as in the initial email.

Anyway, here's hoping that this is the end of the road for me and that it works fine. God, I remember placing my order on 18 September and thinking 'oh sure, it could be a couple weeks or it could be a couple months', hah. And, uh...what are the odds for a pack of Haribo in there? Did Brexit muck with that too?

Associate
I was position 45 in the Strix 3080 OC queue, I was quite surprised to get an email.

As far as I can tell, everyone's options differed based on the queue you were originally in. For example, I was in a queue for the Strix OC and most of my cards 'on offer' were Asus. The two cheapest 3070 Tis for me were a £66 price hike and an Amp Holo for a rebate. These may be slightly inaccurate as at least one price was adjusted after I sent an initial webnote but whoever's in contact with you will tell you that at the time. The upgrade I ended up going for - Strix 3080Ti - was £264 cheaper in the actual transaction than it was listed as in the initial email.

Anyway, here's hoping that this is the end of the road for me and that it works fine. God, I remember placing my order on 18 September and thinking 'oh sure, it could be a couple weeks or it could be a couple months', hah. And, uh...what are the odds for a pack of Haribo in there? Did Brexit muck with that too?

So let ,e just get this right, did you receive an initial email with prices and then a follow up one? I just received the one with a few prices in and a link to a webnote should i wish to change my order

Associate
So let ,e just get this right, did you receive an initial email with prices and then a follow up one? I just received the one with a few prices in and a link to a webnote should i wish to change my order

No, here's what happened:

- I got an email with cards that were offered to me and their prices, compared them to my initial purchase and wrote down what I would owe.
- I then sent a web note requesting the card I wanted.
- I received a reply to my web note which asked for permission to charge me the difference between my original order and my new one. This amount in the reply was different to what I expected.
- I replied to this, asking for the rep to just double-check and to make sure I was reading it right.
- I received a reply which clarified that the price was adjusted after the initial email was sent and the cheaper quote in response to my webnote was the updated, accurate one.
- I replied to this saying I was happy to be charged the amount and have my order transferred to the 3080Ti in question.

Haven't received a response since but I sent that at nearly half past 5 and my order was updated.

Last edited:
Permabanned
No, here's what happened:

- I got an email with cards that were offered to me and their prices, compared them to my initial purchase and wrote down what I would owe.
- I then sent a web note requesting the card I wanted.
- I received a reply to my web note which asked for permission to charge me the difference between my original order and my new one. This amount in the reply was different to what I expected.
- I replied to this, asking for the rep to just double-check and to make sure I was reading it right.
- I received a reply which clarified that the price was adjusted after the initial email was sent and the cheaper quote in response to my webnote was the updated, accurate one.
- I replied to this saying I was happy to be charged the amount and have my order transferred to the 3080Ti in question.

Haven't received a response since but I sent that at nearly half past 5 and my order was updated.
What were the update ones you were given

Associate
£689 for a 3070ti Gaming OC upgrade, I paid £660 for a 3080 eagle at launch and I wonder if it's worth getting...

Last edited:
Associate
So you would have to pay in total £1330 for the 3080Ti & that is meant to be a discount? I was hoping we would at least get it for £1050 MSRP since the Ti is already overpriced. Still to get my email though.
3080ti is still overpriced as hell at msrp, but yeah at £1330 I'd never pay more than twice what I paid for a 3080 for a 3080ti

Associate
£689 for a 3070ti Gaming OC upgrade, I paid £660 for a 3080 eagle at launch and I wonder if it's worth getting...
Now? Yes that’s worth it. Depends on your monitors resolution and hertz but I would say it is worth. Eagle queues don’t seem to be moving anytime soon so I would get it tbh

Associate
OCUK tried to charge my card this morning but it was declined, got in touch with my bank, it turns out that since Brexit they're (allegedly) not compliant with new regulation for processing EU card payments (I'm in Ireland). Continuing to natter with my webnotes rep, hoping that we can switch to paypal or something. Anyone else in the EU run into this?

EDIT: my webnotes rep, who has the patience of a saint, tells me that they are compliant but that I may need to re-register my card because I originally did it last year before post-brexit regulations came into play. Fingers crossed!

EDIT 2: got in touch with sales, redid the card, they said it's good on their end after processing a payment, it's in my pending transactions with the bank. Looking good so far!

If you Google some of the reviews for 3070 ti seems to be a perfect 1440p card

Depends how much value you place on the 144Hz. If you just want your well-optimised reflex esports games (CSGO, Overwatch, Siege, League, whatever) to hit 1440 144fps then it'll manage it cleanly, but if you're looking at modern high-end, triple A tentpole releases or demanding games (your Rise of the Tomb Raiders, your Controls, your Assassin's Creeds, your Death Strandings, your Jedi Fallen Orders) then a non-Ti 3080 will regularly slip below 120fps. Remember, a 3070 Ti is weaker than a 3080. EDIT: these benchmarks are at max settings of course so YMMV. RTX will mostly keep you down below 100.

Last edited:
Associate
Depends how much value you place on the 144Hz. If you just want your well-optimised reflex esports games (CSGO, Overwatch, Siege, League, whatever) to hit 1440 144fps then it'll manage it cleanly, but if you're looking at modern high-end, triple A tentpole releases or demanding games (your Rise of the Tomb Raiders, your Controls, your Assassin's Creeds, your Death Strandings, your Jedi Fallen Orders) then a non-Ti 3080 will regularly slip below 120fps. Remember, a 3070 Ti is weaker than a 3080. EDIT: these benchmarks are at max settings of course so YMMV. RTX will mostly keep you down below 100.

I just use DLSS if my games can’t reach 144 on 4K. I tested Fortnite for example at 4K with all settings maxed out I was able to get in the 90’s for FPS, but when I turned DLSS on I was able to get 165FPS, and was also able to get a consistent 144FPS throughout the game and the frames never dropped. So I think a 3070 or 3070 Ti is fine for 1440p 144hz, but get a 3070 Ti for best performance

Back
Top Bottom