Nvidia GPU priority issue

Associate
Sorry if this issue has been dealt with already but I have just got the GPU client working on Vista x64 on my 8800GTX but it seems that other 3D applications are suffering while the client is running. I thought the client is designed so that it comes bottom of the priority list when applications are competing for resources. Can anyone shed some light on this?:confused:

On the up side the client seems to be churning through about 4300ppd!:D

Soldato
hmm - managed after 2 days to get my 8800GT working. When i leave it on the default settings my 2 Win SMP clients rumble on as normal but the Nvidia client takes a while to complete a unit becuase it's not getting the amount of cpu power requried.

However this morning when i set the Win SMP clients to idle and gpu one to low, it hugely affects my system as well with really stuttering windows opening etc etc. Away from the pc now till later today so no great hassles but not sure really on how to set it up correctly either

Can i really run 2 x Win SMP and Nvidia GPu client - Fahmon was showing PPD of 7402PPD this morning!!!!

Associate
booyaka, I'm currently running 2 x Linux SMP clients and the GPU client and I'm getting about the same :)

lucifersam, there is a known issue with regards to this on the main folding forum site. I would strongly recommend pausing the client whilst playing games, running 3d apps etc. Remember, it is still a beta :)

Associate
OP
lucifersam, there is a known issue with regards to this on the main folding forum site. I would strongly recommend pausing the client whilst playing games, running 3d apps etc. Remember, it is still a beta :)

cheers for letting me know about this, ive just had a quick read myself.

The drivers im using are the 177.35 version, i gotta use these since im running a 64bit version of Vista. Version 174.55 are only for 32bit OS'

Soldato
me?? - err - changed them about 10 times over last few days to get it working - i "think" 174.55's but will check later, could be 177.35's with mod'd inf.

talking crap - 177.35's for me.

By a quick bit of testing it appears 1 win SMP and 1 GPU folding will produce more points but make a nightmare of a useable system!

Anyone confirm what they are running?? and most points option??

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, the whole driver thing has been a pain in my butt over the past few days. I think using Vista 32 and the 174.55 drivers are the reason for me relatively low ppd.

Even if GPU2 came out of beta I still think I would pause the folding while I played a game. I wouldnt want to risk one corrupting the other. Although I have been playing Championship Manager while folding but I don't think that game would even notice if my graphics card withered and died.

Associate
OP
Even if GPU2 came out of beta I still think I would pause the folding while I played a game. I wouldn't want to risk one corrupting the other. Although I have been playing Championship Manager while folding but I don't think that game would even notice if my graphics card withered and died.

Having had a look around the official forums the project testers have found the GPU priority issue as well and have promised to work on a solution asap so hopefully they will have it sorted by the time the client is released out of beta.

Back
Top Bottom