• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Gsync announced 18/10/2013

Soldato
http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/18/nvidia-g-sync/

http://www.kitguru.net/peripherals/monitors/matthew-wilson/nvidia-announce-g-sync/

works on all cards from 660 and up

Could it be the holy grail of monitor refresh rates?

"G-SYNC synchronizes the monitor to the output of the GPU, instead of the GPU to the monitor (as is the case with V-Sync)

With V-Sync, the game engine has to plan when to start rendering the frame, so that it's finished right before the V-Sync signal. Start early and there is (small) lag, start later and you risk missing the frame "deadline" completely.

With G-Sync, the GPU tells the minitor whe the frame is ready, not the other way. This makes render timing much easier."

Last edited:
So all this time people living with sub 60 fps, were experiencing stuttering and tearing. I always raised an eyebrow when people said 40-50fps was a good gameplay experience. :rolleyes:

" I can't stress enough just how smooth the G-Sync experience was, it's a game changer."

Anand.

If you care about graphics buy Nvidia, if you care about sound buy AMD :D

So all this time people living with sub 60 fps, were experiencing stuttering and tearing. I always raised an eyebrow when people said 40-50fps was a good gameplay experience. :rolleyes:

" I can't stress enough just how smooth the G-Sync experience was, it's a game changer."

Anand.

If you care about graphics buy Nvidia, if you care about sound buy AMD :D

Exactly even with a triple buffered image dropping to just 59 fps for the slightest amount of time causes one frame to be duplicated and causes a slight hitch.you can view it for yourself in pretty much any game by limiting your framerate to 59 (or 119 on a 120 hz display) skyrim is quite good to try this.Next find a long wall and go very close to it,select crouch and walk mode so your going very slowly then press your strafe key left or right to move along the wall..........see that? If not try a few times,see that odd skip every second or so?

You can thank/hate me later that I've drawn your attention to it and you'll even notice it when your playing normally from now on haha ;)

P.s make sure you have vsync on cos you'll just see tearing,oh and obviously your gpu has to be able to render the limited fps total of course I.e 59 or 119

Last edited:
Exactly even with a triple buffered image dropping to just 59 fps for the slightest amount of time causes one frame to be duplicated and causes a slight hitch.you can view it for yourself in pretty much any game by limiting your framerate to 59 (or 119 on a 120 hz display) skyrim is quite good to try this.Next find a long wall and go very close to it,select crouch and walk mode so your going very slowly then press your strafe key left or right to move along the wall..........see that? If not try a few times,see that odd skip every second or so?

You can thank/hate me later that I've drawn your attention to it and you'll even notice it when your playing normally from now on haha ;)

No need to worry, I noticed from the getgo :) I was playing BF2 2560x1600 60fps vsynced with no drops back in the day, it was glorious!

Todays games add so many bull****ty effects you wouldn't even notice without side by side comparison, DOF, motion blur, SSAO, etc, etc. to drag your framerate into the dumps and break you out of 60fps heaven. I like my games crystal clear and smooth as silk tyvm.

Tbh I put up with it in newer games, SC2 atm, that has a horrendous engine. lol, 4v4's end up hovering around 20 fps :) Though a new cpu in the mail should put that game in it's place.

Does this work with any monitor?

Certainly not, you will need a new one.

They have the Asus VG one ready I believe and the hardware to do it yourself and they will be adding more and more monitors with the chips already built in and also releasing the chips again for DIY.

They supply instructions and for the Asus monitor, they say 30 mins, so should be quite easy if you are not afraid of a screw driver.

ah... at extra expense no doubt.

ok, thanks :)

They certainly won't be giving it away.

They have the Asus VG one ready I believe and the hardware to do it yourself and they will be adding more and more monitors with the chips already built in and also releasing the chips again for DIY.

They supply instructions and for the Asus monitor, they say 30 mins, so should be quite easy if you are not afraid of a screw driver.

They certainly won't be giving it away.

Will those monitors be locked to Nvidia only, I'm thinking this is something AMD might do aswell and I don't want to be locked to one GPU brand.

Will those monitors be locked to Nvidia only, I'm thinking this is something AMD might do aswell and I don't want to be locked to one GPU brand.

I am willing to bet money that this will be locked to Nvidia but no reason why AMD can't get their hands on one and strip it down. I know where you are heading but that is completely out of our hands and proprietary stuff is above all of us and requires AMD and Nvidia to sort it out.

I am willing to bet money that this will be locked to Nvidia but no reason why AMD can't get their hands on one and strip it down. I know where you are heading but that is completely out of our hands and proprietary stuff is above all of us and requires AMD and Nvidia to sort it out.

I don't want to get into the proprietary argument, I do think its a good idea and +1 to Nvidia for it.

But the rest, well you know me :)

I don't want to get into the proprietary argument, I do think its a good idea and +1 to Nvidia for it.

But the rest, well you know me :)

It does cheese me off as well but like I said, well above our pay grade and too much water under the bridge it would seem. Win win for us if they ever did sort it out.

Imagine if mantle (if it stands up to scrutiny eventually) and this became the standard. What nirvana would that be? Alas, it will never be.

Imagine if mantle (if it stands up to scrutiny eventually) and this became the standard. What nirvana would that be? Alas, it will never be.

The Legend Kurt Kobane is more the way it will go :p

Just putting a joke in there that I could think of at this late hour and in no way do I feel Mantle will go like Kurt though.

People would have to finally accept proprietary technologies are here to stay. Well I've already accepted it. They can be huge selling points for both and at the end of the day money is power.

Back
Top Bottom