• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Gsync announced 18/10/2013

Too much input lag with vsync on on those dells even at 75Hz though :( and too much tearing (I notice it even worse than at 60Hz) with vsync off at 75Hz.

Shame they didn't push the tech a bit more for those panels they are pretty good just held back a bit by the lag and or tearing.

Aye but you get used to it as well if you learn to use VSYNC. To be honest half the time i play L4D2 i am plagued with massive amount of input lag on my 2407 and 2007 Dell's with VSYNC 60HZ. Sort of feels like Killzone on the PS3. I used to use the 100hz CRT back in the CS days with the snapshots and stuff but you can adapt to input lag.

Accuracy and knowledge is the most important imo once you learn not to spray and to duck and tap tap input lag becomes mostly a non issue. I played high level games with my 2007 and still do no problems. Always near the top on Chivalry too :D

I used to use the 100hz CRT back in the CS days with the snapshots and stuff but you can adapt to input lag.
Back in the day you didn't need to worry about screen tearing and input lag
as you had a hard enough time just trying to reach 60fps with the hardware back then...:p

Last edited:
Teardown pics of the Asus VG248QE here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1331478/new-asus-vg248qe-144hz-1ms-tn-1080p/360

Comment from BlurBusters that g-sync modules will be monitor-specific (each brand/panel needs its own daughter board):

http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/upgrade-walkthrough/comment-page-1/#comment-1781

One thing's for sure, this WON'T be an easy mod. I don't know who these "modding firms" are that NV are assuring us will do the work for a "small fee", but it all seems very niche and not like their usual "it just works" approach.

Yes they do.

Its in the 3d application settings.

Unless they've taken the time to fix it that setting only works for OpenGL, last time I had AMD (6970) you had to use 3rd party apps for D3D games... it's all rather amateurish.

Last edited:
Teardown pics of the Asus VG248QE here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1331478/new-asus-vg248qe-144hz-1ms-tn-1080p/360

Comment from BlurBusters that g-sync modules will be monitor-specific (each brand/panel needs its own daughter board):

http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/upgrade-walkthrough/comment-page-1/#comment-1781

One thing's for sure, this WON'T be an easy mod. I don't know who these "modding firms" are that NV are assuring us will do the work for a "small fee", but it all seems very niche and not like their usual "it just works" approach.

I also get the impression G-sync is also really made to work with monitors which can do upto 120HZ/144HZ too,so I expect in reality a lot of people would need a new monitor to use it. Most photography orientated monitors run at around 60HZ anyway. Only the Catleaps and the like,can be overclocked to hit 110HZ to 120HZ if you are lucky. I suspect the 2560X1440 monitors Nvidia mentions,are probably new 27" monitors being launched next year with IPS panels and 120HZ refresh rates. Not sure about the 30" and 24" ones though.

OTH,if it does take off,I would be only too happy to get a "crappy" 27" 60HZ monitor with an 2560X1440 IPS panel on the cheap!!

:p

Last edited:
They can't even be bothered to add a v-sync option into their drivers. :p

Unless they've taken the time to fix it that setting only works for OpenGL, last time I had AMD (6970) you had to use 3rd party apps for D3D games... it's all rather amateurish.

You Joined in 2003 and you still dont know that it was MS who took forced D3D Vsync through drivers away for both NV and AMD since vista and that NV later hacked around that rule.

Its one thing not to be happy about it, but its another thing entirely when you keep flapping your chops at an issue that has been explained on this forum time and time again since Vista and you still lay the blame at the wrong feet.
If NV want to break the rules on this its upto them if AMD want to follow the rules its upto them, there is nothing amateurish about it.

Its not like there are no other options available to force Vsync in the minority of games that dont have the option built in.

Not NVIDIA Issues

This section lists issues that are not due to the NVIDIA driver as well as features
that are not meant to be supported by the NVIDIA driver for Windows Vista.
Windows Vista Limitations
These are behaviors that may be different from Windows XP and are related
directly to the Windows Vista operating system.
• Selecting Vertical Sync (vsync) from the NVIDIA Control Panel has no
effect with DirectX applications.
Due to architectural changes in the new Windows Vista Window Display
Driver Model (WDDM), the graphics driver can no longer disable vsync
from its own driver or Control Panel. Selecting this option from the NVIDIA
Control Panel will have no effect with DirectX applications. For applications
that use Direct3D on Windows Vista, use the vertical sync setting within the
application. We are adjusting the help text in the NVIDIA Control Panel to
make this clearer to our customers.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/100.65/100.65_ForceWare_Release_Notes.pdf

Which means you can't force enable or force disable VSync in Apps/games through the CP[before NV hacked it].

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom