• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Gsync announced 18/10/2013

no not obviously you could still be in 60 hz mode and forcing the game to run at higher settings which is then capped at 50 fps running triplebuffered on a 60 hz display...which is possibly why you witness it as not being smooth...precisely for the reason why nvidia have explained,your seeing 10 duplicate frames.THAT is what gives the impression of it not being smooth,50 fps is not inherently jerky,but running at 50 fps on a 60hz display IS.

But then you appear to have a 50hz display mode so that cant possibly be it...obviously ;)

UK PAL was 50hz back then so 50hz display and the TV displays the hz mode as well including NTSC 60hz. So no forcing the game into anything baloney.

Last edited:
Besides the tearing that the quality through a video recording limited to 30fps can introduce is besides the point when i know what 30fps looks like first hand without tearing which still looks un-smooth..

And the fact that fraps was running in the corner showing 40-50 fps

I don't think you fully understand what this technology is actually doing and what its main objective is. Its not about the frame rate itself. Yes, 30fps is not going to look smooth either way, vsynced or not. Gsync will not make 30fps look smoother, but what it will do is make the transition from different frame rates way smoother.

With current vsync, when a frame cannot be rendered in time for a monitor refresh it has to be kept in a buffer until the next monitor refresh. This leads to sudden and intermittent jumps in frametimes, and is the main culprit for the stuttering effect you see when your GPU can't maintains fps that is higher than the monitor refresh rate. There are ways to alleviate this (e.g. triple buffering), but that only leads to greater input lag due to the increased buffering.

With gsync, the GPU doesn't have to wait for the monitor to refresh at a fixed interval, the monitor will simply refresh as soon as the frame is ready. In effect, you have a monitor with a variable refresh rate. Of course we will still have to have a upper limit on how fast the monitor can refresh, i.e. on a 60hz monitor the monitor can only refresh every 1/60th of a second and hence the GPU will have to limit its frame rendering to that too, which is easy to do. On 120/144hz monitors the upper limit will naturally increase.

If you want to see a tiny example of how profound this technology actually is, try playing a 24p movie on your HDTV. Unlike most monitors, HDTVs can change their refresh rates to a wider variety of rates, such as 24hz, 50hz, 60hz. Play a movie shot at 24fps whilst running the TV at 60hz and then at 24hz. The difference in smoothness should be immediately apparent, and not because of the fps itself (which has stayed the same remember) but because of the lack of stuttering/juddering in 24hz refresh mode. At 60hz, some frames are doubled, and some are trippled in an alternating manner so that 24 frames can be fit into 60 screen refreshes neatly. This alternating effectively means that perceived frame rate of the movie is changing every 1/12th of a second, which is what leads to the juddering effect . At 24hz though, the frames are mapped to each screen refresh on a 1 to 1 basis, hence the smoothness.

Now imagine the above situation but you now have a 60hz monitor (that can only be run at 60hz), and a game that is being rendered at a constantly varying fps, usually lower than 60fps. This is what vsync has to deal with and while it has done decent job so far, it has some major drawbacks, namely the aforementioned stuttering/juddering (way worse than in the movie example due to the varying fps) and the inherent input lag; not so much an issue in movies, but unacceptable in games. Of course the alternative is to disable vsync altogether, meaning no more input lag (to a certain degree of course) but you now have screen tearing which many would argue is worse than stuttering. In fact, at the right fps, the tearing itself creates an optical stuttering effect.

Gsync does away with those two drawbacks. The discrepancy between the monitor refresh rate and GPU frame rate is effectively gone and you are now seeing the pure frame output of the GPU, much like you are seeing the pure output of your bluray player when running your TV in 24hz mode. If this isn't an important development, I don't know what is really. I think people have just become so accustomed to screen tearing, vsync stutter and lag that they don't know any better. Heck, I even mentioned this very idea of monitors with dynamic refresh rates on this very forum a few years ago and was laughed off and dismissed. Hopefully this will change that.

Right now I am just hoping that it will work the way nvidia are describing it to, and it is actually a true solution to the problem of fixed refresh rate monitors, i.e. dynamically variable refresh rate monitors. Its possible that nvidia are using some other mechanism to achieve the same effect, but can't imagine what that could be. As I said in another thread, I hope that it becomes an industry standard and not locked to nvidia hardware. It really is that important.

I don't think you fully understand what this technology is actually doing and what its main objective is. Its not about the frame rate itself. Yes, 30fps is not going to look smooth either way, vsynced or not. Gsync will not make 30fps look smoother, but what it will do is make the transition from different frame rates way smoother.

I think it is a cool feature for those that need it no tearing which is important, smoother transitions to lower frame rates but im not interested in playing at less than 60fps and the cost on top and no TN thanks, ill stick to free Vsync, the only benefit to me would be less output lag maybe.

Up or down it makes no difference smoother transition is a plus so yes i already understood and i dont need a lesson on TVs.

Last edited:
Up or down it makes no difference smoother transition is a plus so yes i already understood and i dont need a lesson on TVs.

Genuine question here, but why are you even posting here then? You've listed a set of requirements and issues that are completely out of the scope of what this tech is intended to address or is even remotely capable of addressing. Worse still, the way you have written your posts, makes it seem like they are drawbacks of the this gsync technology, which is ludicrous. Its like saying that my running shoes have a draw back in that they don't make me run as fast as Usain Bolt.

Genuine question here, but why are you even posting here then? You've listed a set of requirements and issues that are completely out of the scope of what this tech is intended to address or is even remotely capable of addressing. Worse still, the way you have written your posts, makes it seem like they are drawbacks of the this gsync technology, which is ludicrous. Its like saying that my running shoes have a draw back in that they don't make me run as fast as Usain Bolt.

First i did not just jump in AND lay down requirements, i listed the benefits, put down claims that are not within the scope of Gsync that some were trying to claim and i did not claim any drawbacks besides getting a compatible monitor, TN and the added costs.

You clearly did not read the thread through first and my points have been addressed.

Last edited:
Do you think there will be 2560 x 1440 Gsync monitors released ?

I really do hope so i don't think i can go back to 1080p :(

there definitely will be, all the flavours of resolution and refresh rate currently available up to and including 4K @ 60hz will be catered for early next year

Reading into it, the monitor companies whomever they may be would be foolish not to jump on this and from all accounts, they are jumping on this. :)

I would love a version for my Dell 1440P and I would be more than happy to pay for the mod to retrofit it myself.

I'm not very good at D.I.Y. but I'd deffo give this a go on my cheap 120hz, er um unnamed East Asian monitor; be a bit more worried if it was a more expensive display tho... :eek:

Man up!!! :D It is only the same as ripping open a laptop or even a desktop. the hardest part is putting it all back together :D (especially after replacing a laptop mobo on a crappy 10.1 inch mofo and then trying to get everything to fit back in and then plugging ribbons in whilst balancing other things arghhhhhhh) :D:D:D

Man up!!! :D It is only the same as ripping open a laptop or even a desktop. the hardest part is putting it all back together :D (especially after replacing a laptop mobo on a crappy 10.1 inch mofo and then trying to get everything to fit back in and then plugging ribbons in whilst balancing other things arghhhhhhh) :D:D:D

Sauce? I thought this would involve soldering and other fiddly stuff.

Nvidia G-Sync Will Only Come to ASUS Monitors – Will Come to Other Brands After Q3 2014

Nvidia’s new frame synchronization technology ‘G-Sync’ caused quite a stir upon release. The reason was quite simple, Nvidia G-Sync was supposedly going to end screen tearing, stutter and lag. However it has now come ot light that Nvidia has signed an exclusivity agreement with ASUS. Thats right, G-Sync will only come in ASUS Monitors.

Full Article
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-g-sync-asus-monitors-brands-q3-2014/#ixzz2ix6gxbbq

I don't think it will be too long before they are. Or maybe that's what I am hoping :o

Dell never are onboard sure there is not even a Dell with 3D or Lightboost lol. Maybe if someone here started a petition to Dell or something? They do the best monitors imo i said in the monitor thread if the 21:9 Dell came out with just Vsync added it would be a quality monitor.

They OC to 75-80hz too...

Back
Top Bottom