** NVIDIA GTX 970 REFERENCE EXCLUSIVELY AVAILABLE FROM OcUK IN EUROPE!! **

Soldato
You just made it harder to wait for 960 series card release. Are there any numbers for fan noise levels and temps? I expect my Seasonic 660w XP2 is good enough.

Last edited:
Associate
I was just wondering if these cards are still made my manli?

someone in a review on the product page said their one was a zotac one. Probably not a huge difference, but as everyone reviewed the manli ones so highly i was hoping to get one of those if i decide to go for it over the 780ti

Associate
I remember reading the build was all from the same manufacturing group.

The key thing is despite the "old" reason of exchange rates making prices rise, this card is now back down in price, £10 less than the last pre-order price despite the weaker rate.

I guess the 970 is some what tarnished and its a quiet acknowledgement that they are not selling well and OC have a few on the shelf.

OcUK Staff
OP
I was just wondering if these cards are still made my manli?

someone in a review on the product page said their one was a zotac one. Probably not a huge difference, but as everyone reviewed the manli ones so highly i was hoping to get one of those if i decide to go for it over the 780ti

Last batch was Manli, this batch Zotac. Cards are identical just different packaging. PNY, Manli, Zotac and Inno3D are all same factory (PC Partner).

Associate
I am thinking of buying 2 of these to go with a Silverstone FT02 case.

Will exhausting the heat out of the top of the case work a considerable amount better than say 2 Twin Frozr etc?.

Now I know that in SLI 2 of these are going to help with reducing internal heat in a case like a Corsair case etc but I am just thinking about the airflow of the FT02 and whether it will make a huge difference or not due to this cases layout.

I also like the look of the ref design tbh.

OcUK Staff
OP
Samsung ram clocks better than Hynix.

Normally Samsung does clock better and has better efficiency. But because NVIDIA are very detailed in what specification the memory must hit the Hynix clocks as good as the Samsung in most cases and the Hynix has and does clock upto around 8800-9000MHz on the best examples so very similar to Samsung.

The cards have Hynix now.

The only card I believe we still have which guarantees Samsung still is the KFA Infin8 card I designed but as of yesterday we dropped under 1000 units of our current batch and as such we will have a new batch arriving in May and right now the factory can only build with Hynix.

Associate
I am thinking of buying 2 of these to go with a Silverstone FT02 case.

Will exhausting the heat out of the top of the case work a considerable amount better than say 2 Twin Frozr etc?.

Now I know that in SLI 2 of these are going to help with reducing internal heat in a case like a Corsair case etc but I am just thinking about the airflow of the FT02 and whether it will make a huge difference or not due to this cases layout.

I also like the look of the ref design tbh.
Yes, a read-exhausting card will give you better performance, particularly in SFF cases.

OEM 'open' cooler designs will only give you better performance in cases which have a significant amount of airflow from case fans. If you don't have 2-3 120mm fans (1-2 if you run them fast and loud. 3+ fans needed for SLI) moving air through the GPU area, then open coolers are going to be recirculating so much of their exhausted hot air from inside the case that they will be performing noticeably worse, and noticeable louder, than a blower.

Soldato
Normally Samsung does clock better and has better efficiency. But because NVIDIA are very detailed in what specification the memory must hit the Hynix clocks as good as the Samsung in most cases and the Hynix has and does clock upto around 8800-9000MHz on the best examples so very similar to Samsung.

The cards have Hynix now.

The only card I believe we still have which guarantees Samsung still is the KFA Infin8 card I designed but as of yesterday we dropped under 1000 units of our current batch and as such we will have a new batch arriving in May and right now the factory can only build with Hynix.

I think your figures are off by about 1000 at either end there Gibbo ;) They definitely don't go that high for average Joe. The timings are also a lot faster on the Samsung ram based cards.

OcUK Staff
OP
I think your figures are off by about 1000 at either end there Gibbo ;) They definitely don't go that high for average Joe. The timings are also a lot faster on the Samsung ram based cards.

What I've achieved in my testing. :)
I think 8 Pack has a King Pin and HOF card which are nearly at 10000MHz, with voltage and some directed airflow such speeds are possible on the best power phase cards with good ram chips.

Soldato
What I've achieved in my testing. :)
I think 8 Pack has a King Pin and HOF card which are nearly at 10000MHz, with voltage and some directed airflow such speeds are possible on the best power phase cards with good ram chips.

You must have had a very select card given no review site has got anywhere near that figure. 8000 was the sweet spot.

Associate
does anyone know if there are any water blocks for these? really considering one when my birthday comes around but i hate buying into cards with no water options XD, looks allot like the same PCB of the 980 but can't find anything on it, can anyone confirm if it's a 980 PCB or if it's a custom one? thanks.

Soldato
does anyone know if there are any water blocks for these? really considering one when my birthday comes around but i hate buying into cards with no water options XD, looks allot like the same PCB of the 980 but can't find anything on it, can anyone confirm if it's a 980 PCB or if it's a custom one? thanks.

It's a 980 PCB. Gibbo confirmed it himself. See below ;)

Morning

They have landed.

I've grabbed one to test and photograph.

So far I can confirm the following:

Genuine 970 cooler confirmed and visualizer is lit up, can't confirm control as I am using an 8 Pack PC so no fancy software installed but as it is lit up I would assume it will work.

Even better news the BGA Board is a 980 board as requested!!!! :)

Coil whine report, of course I have only tested one but my example with fan at minimum and my head against the card I can't hear a thing!!! :)

Now I am trying some overclocking, now bear in mind I never purchased these as an overclocking card so anything here is a bonus. But I am testing the memory at present which I instructed must only be Samsung, it is Samsung and so far I am upto 8200MHz artefact free and climbing. :eek:

I shall do some core clocking once I have found the memory limit. :)

Cooler performance, well a 980 with everything on automatic will reach 80c in Heaven after a few loops whilst remaining pretty much silent.

970 in the same testing environment is reaching 77c so marginally cooler, no doubt because the 970 core emits less heat so the cooler is less stressed.

Very happy! :)

I've also updated the product description, looking excellent so far! :)

That's how I tested, heaven at the air ship so FPS well over 100+, ear on the card, zero noise outputted. :)

Now upto 1500MHz core on stock voltage, seem that using 980 PCB certainly helps with the OC a bit. :eek:

I bought my reference 970 last week and then went straight for holidays. Can't wait to test it out as it is still in the box lol

Associate
It's a 980 PCB. Gibbo confirmed it himself. See below ;)

I bought my reference 970 last week and then went straight for holidays. Can't wait to test it out as it is still in the box lol

many thanks for the reply, im glad i have that confirmed then, ill most likely be taking the plunge for one of these in a short while, im under the assumption that the 980 waterblocks will fit then? id have thought so but with the different 'caps' to reduce/get rid of coil whine, it's something i'd think about, im assuming they'd fit in either case, would just be an expensive mistake if i decided to block it up only to find the block wouldn't fit due to said caps.

Associate
Sorry for asking, but is the Witcher 3 code still active with these? It doesn't seem to be on any of the item descriptions now but Nvidia are still advertising it and have OcUK down as one of their partners, so I'm a bit confused.

Back
Top Bottom