** NVIDIA RTX 30 SERIES (3090 / 3080 / 3070) NOW ONLINE AT OcUK **

Associate
Im curious about something, with non ti 3080 seems dropping extremely slow and nvidia adopting the LHR into the cards, will all newly produced cards feature the LHR or is it only for the TI cards?

Associate
I guess it depends, how long the shortages last. I think that with the lockdowns starting to recede a little bit and with more and more orders being filled by the week, eventually things might get back to normal, i even heard that they have stopped printing older chips now, not sure if it were for the 2000 series, maybe low levels cards.

But i'm also wondering, are the LHR going to implemented into the partner cards as well, because if not then all of this is pretty much for nothing. I know the previous run around which was software only implementation could be got around by just installing an earlier driver, as i tried it myself and it doubled my hash rate on a 3060.

Caporegime
Don’t expect to ever get a decent supply of 3080’s. Nvidia priced it far too cheaply and are now using the majority of the chips in the Ti version for extra readies.

3080 is the king of Ampere for price/performance, but it’s on its way out already due to economics.

Associate
Im curious about something, with non ti 3080 seems dropping extremely slow and nvidia adopting the LHR into the cards, will all newly produced cards feature the LHR or is it only for the TI cards?
I think it is just for the Ti cards at the moment, I would imagine we will see LHR for Non-Ti cards, and would assume they are likely to get a new SKU for each model when this happens

Soldato
Don’t expect to ever get a decent supply of 3080’s. Nvidia priced it far too cheaply and are now using the majority of the chips in the Ti version for extra readies.

3080 is the king of Ampere for price/performance, but it’s on its way out already due to economics.
It's pricing was about right for a high end card when you think back to a 1080ti, 1080, 980ti, 780ti etc were all priced in that range the outlyer was the 2080ti. The sad thing is that nvidia has now made you think it's too cheap and a high end cards should now starts at £1200.

Remember that AMD also has the 6800XT at just over £600, are those too cheap now? What about the 3060 which OCUK had a deal on for £450, people were loving it but you're still getting less performance than was available from a 2070 super 2 years ago and for the same price.

Soldato
Going back slightly further to the 980ti which was ‘only’ £500, the 3080 is not too cheap…

It’s just the mining boom causing issues, the COVID peak has long passed and it was mainly laptops. There was never really any shortages of desktop components outside of AMD CPUs. Intel CPUs, motherboards, RAM, SSDs, even AMD motherboards were all available for their normal prices.

Even GPUs are starting to become more available, and prices for the lower tier models are starting to come down.

Associate
Going back slightly further to the 980ti which was ‘only’ £500, the 3080 is not too cheap…

It’s just the mining boom causing issues, the COVID peak has long passed and it was mainly laptops. There was never really any shortages of desktop components outside of AMD CPUs. Intel CPUs, motherboards, RAM, SSDs, even AMD motherboards were all available for their normal prices.

Even GPUs are starting to become more available, and prices for the lower tier models are starting to come down.

I think that's a little optimistic. Look at PSUs many of those are still unavailable (thinking Seasonic and their badge engineered partners) even the Noctua D15 in black keeps going out of stock in many places which never happened previously.

Just because the Covid peak is over doesn't mean that it's impact is still being felt in logistics as everywhere else and there are many factors in the mix too.

Certainly more cards seem to be appearing in the 16xx and 2xxx series though prices are still high (nearly 500 UKP for a 2060?) so let's hope it's the beginning of the end even if it take a long while to get back to 'normal'

Soldato
The PSU shortage is mainly in high wattage units though that are normally preferred for mining. More normal 500-700w range psus have been generally available for a long time.

Some niche stuff like 750w SFX is more difficult but that’s more to do shifting purchasing habits and bigger power demands from nvidia graphics cards combined with the rise of ITX cases. The market is just moving faster than the supply in this space.

Associate
The PSU shortage is mainly in high wattage units though that are normally preferred for mining. More normal 500-700w range psus have been generally available for a long time.

Ah of course, that would make sense though i'm surprised seem ok supply wise, broadly speaking, but Seasonic / Antec seem to be really struggling (at 850W+) unless they have a better reputation for robustness/reliability.

Associate

Some niche stuff like 750w SFX is more difficult but that’s more to do shifting purchasing habits and bigger power demands from nvidia graphics cards combined with the rise of ITX cases. The market is just moving faster than the supply in this space.
This is news to me, I didn't realise there was a PSU shortage at all! I'm way out of touch with anything but GPU hardware at this point :D

Soldato
This is news to me, I didn't realise there was a PSU shortage at all! I'm way out of touch with anything but GPU hardware at this point :D

That’s because there isn’t unless you insist on over specking what’s actually needed e.g. putting 1000w in a system with a 3070 and 5600x. A normal system with a 3080 in it only really needs a 750w these days.

Early in the pandemic when there was a rush to buy PCs to work from home there was a rush on lower end units but that has long since passed. It’s only the high W units where people need to run multiple GPUs off a single unit are out of stock and the only people really doing that are miners (yes I know there are some exceptions but it’s a fraction of actual users).

Associate
That’s because there isn’t unless you insist on over specking what’s actually needed e.g. putting 1000w in a system with a 3070 and 5600x. A normal system with a 3080 in it only really needs a 750w these days.

Yes I'm sure I'd be seen as 'over specing' but I'd rather run a PSU relatively lightly loaded, it's a bit like big engined cars tend to last better than smaller engined cars because they are less heavily loaded. The efficiencies usually peak at around 50% too which is a bonus. If Nvidia recommend an 850W PSU then i'm not convinced a 1000w unit is massively over the top.

Soldato
Nvidia only recommend a 850w psu for a 3090, a £1700-£2000 card. I know there is a lot of ballers on here but 3090 owners are not representative of PC buyers :p

Associate
Yes I'm sure I'd be seen as 'over specing' but I'd rather run a PSU relatively lightly loaded, it's a bit like big engined cars tend to last better than smaller engined cars because they are less heavily loaded. The efficiencies usually peak at around 50% too which is a bonus. If Nvidia recommend an 850W PSU then i'm not convinced a 1000w unit is massively over the top.
I'd be in the same boat too. Better to be overprepared than under! Although I'm using a Corsair AX1200 from donkeys ago and it's still going strong. Currently powering a 5800x and a mega mega GeForce GT210. Might be on it's limit because of my GPU :rolleyes:

Associate
What's the qualifying criteria for the "GPU Deals" section voucher codes? I was hoping to wait until all this madness dies down before replacing my 1080 but my GPU has developed a fault so going to need to upgrade :mad:

Associate
Is there any hope cards are becoming more available?
On another site today there have been over 25 3070ti cards available all day and were a few 3070 standards earlier.

Saw cards on a couple of other sites including OC too.

Whilst the prices are over what I would be happy to pay its nice to actually see cards for sale.

Back
Top Bottom