** NVIDIA RTX 30 SERIES (3090 / 3080 / 3070) NOW ONLINE AT OcUK **

Associate
Hi all,

Recently there has been some discussion about the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 series. During our mass production QC testing we discovered a full 6 POSCAPs solution cannot pass the real world applications testing. It took almost a week of R&D effort to find the cause and reduce the POSCAPs to 4 and add 20 MLCC caps prior to shipping production boards, this is why the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 series was delayed at launch. There were no 6 POSCAP production EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 boards shipped.

But, due to the time crunch, some of the reviewers were sent a pre-production version with 6 POSCAP’s, we are working with those reviewers directly to replace their boards with production versions.
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 series with 5 POSCAPs + 10 MLCC solution is matched with the XC3 spec without issues.

Thanks
EVGA

Seems there is a issue with some of the cards and the power delivery thats causing the reported crashes. Will easily be fixed with bios updates (can be fixed by slightly downclocking) for the affected cards and fixed in future revisions of other AIB's cards that may have made it into the wild

Associate
Could it be the case that GPU manufactures want to supply the consumers that quickly that they will indeed send and supply them with pre-production boards...!

Associate
Nah it just seems some AIB's cheaped out on some of their boards caps and its causing interference at high clocks (2000mhz) which is why some of the more premium boards are not having the issue because they use better components

Associate
I've seen reports that the TUF boards are doing it as well and they have the 6x MLCC setup. Could be nonsense but folk have definitely reported the TUF cards doing it as well, so it may be a mixture of things. It could be that those reporting issues with the TUF's have PSU issues, as MSI's press statement mentioned PSU's as a potential cause as well.

Associate
Nah EVGA admitted it was the caps issue, the others are just keeping quiet. Thing is, its not the AIB's fault because every PCB design has to be approved by Nvidia or they are not allowed to sell them so the problem lies with Nvidia

Associate
That's what I'm saying though, I don't think it's just one issue out there leading to these reports. The crashing issues are being reported by TUF users with the 6x MLCC setup as well. The speculation is though that the caps are causing the issue on the cheaper made cards and it might be PSU's causing issues with the higher spec cards. So the caps issue is widespread the PSU issue less though and it's all getting rolled into one. After all if it was just the caps, then the TUF cards shouldn't be getting any of the crashing issues.

Associate
Yeah no doubt. I mean ultimately it's not as big of an issue as it seems in the grand scheme. It's crap for overclockers but even with a vbios update to clock them down a little, folk will still get there advertised boost speeds, but yeah kind of takes the fun out of it in that regard.

meh

meh

Associate
I've seen reports that the TUF boards are doing it as well and they have the 6x MLCC setup. Could be nonsense but folk have definitely reported the TUF cards doing it as well, so it may be a mixture of things. It could be that those reporting issues with the TUF's have PSU issues, as MSI's press statement mentioned PSU's as a potential cause as well.

I looked at the OcUK pics on the link for the Tuf, in one of the pics it shows it uses the 6 POSCAP setup, in fact it shows all variations of ASUS cards use it, but after looking on Guru3d earlier the product pics shows it uses the full 6 MLCC setup. My finger is on the trigger for the Tuf now, but its just the issue of how long it will take to be delivered..the wait would drive me insane.

Associate
I looked at the OcUK pics on the link for the Tuf, in one of the pics it shows it uses the 6 POSCAP setup, in fact it shows all variations of ASUS cards use it, but after looking on Guru3d earlier the product pics shows it uses the full 6 MLCC setup. My finger is on the trigger for the Tuf now, but its just the issue of how long it will take to be delivered..the wait would drive me insane.

I think ASUS confirmed similar to EVGA that this was caught before hand unless the different versions have different setups as one of the tech tubers did a breakdown of one of the TUF cards and it had the MLCC setup I'm sure. Maybe I'm confusing it with something else, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the TUF's.

meh

meh

Associate
I think ASUS confirmed similar to EVGA that this was caught before hand unless the different versions have different setups as one of the tech tubers did a breakdown of one of the TUF cards and it had the MLCC setup I'm sure. Maybe I'm confusing it with something else, but I'm pretty sure it was one of the TUF's.

Yup, 6 MLCC setup, the EVGA xc3 has 1, Founders has 2.

Associate

Tech Yes (youtube) did a compare between the Tuf OC they had as a review sample and a retail Tuf non-OC from a friend. They both had the 6 MLCC setup and the summary was they appeared identical. https://youtu.be/vJVXWO-o3SM

Associate
The SPCAPS crash to desktop issue affects many of the 3080 AIB brands, including the Founders I've read.

I'm taking it all with a pinch of salt around the issue personally, as could also be entirely drivers related and not hardware at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom