Nvidia Shield TV Refresh

Soldato
OP
Shield Experience 5.02 for the 2015 Shields has now been released. It's installed and running great for me. The framerate and colour space switching issues seem to have been fixed and everything just feels a little smoother.

Early days yet but all looks good, looking forward to seeing what Koying can do with SPMC (he's currently debugging resolution switching under SE5 to see if he can get material to play at native res and have TVs far superior upscalers do the work rather than the shield and Kodi code)

Soldato
Does seem to run nicer since the upgrade. HDR on Netflix is nice addition as well. Wasn't sure is the original shield TV would be capable of it. Nice to know it is.

Soldato
OP
HDR on Netflix has been available since SE3 so is nothing new. The whole HDR tag Nvida are throwing around about Shield 2017 is more of their blather and nothing new as it's all just re-announcements of features that Shield 2015 already had. Really the only new things are colour spaces being fixed and the addition of an official Amazon app which incidentally may not be as "official" as Nvidia made out since Amazon UK are denying all knowledge of it and stating specifically that the Shield is not a supported device for Amazon Video.

Soldato
HDR on Netflix has been available since SE3 so is nothing new. The whole HDR tag Nvida are throwing around about Shield 2017 is more of their blather and nothing new as it's all just re-announcements of features that Shield 2015 already had. Really the only new things are colour spaces being fixed and the addition of an official Amazon app which incidentally may not be as "official" as Nvidia made out since Amazon UK are denying all knowledge of it and stating specifically that the Shield is not a supported device for Amazon Video.

Didn't know that :)

Only recently got a 4k HDR TV and it no HDR was showing. I mustn't of had the right settings.

One think I did notice is that the HDR on Netflix is just shows HDR, where as on the LG TV app it shows as Dolby Vision. I guess the the Shield Netflix app just doesn't support it yet.

Soldato
Didn't know that :)

Only recently got a 4k HDR TV and it no HDR was showing. I mustn't of had the right settings.

One think I did notice is that the HDR on Netflix is just shows HDR, where as on the LG TV app it shows as Dolby Vision. I guess the the Shield Netflix app just doesn't support it yet.

Dolby Vision and HDR are two different things though.

Soldato
Dolby Vision and HDR are two different things though.

I know, that's why I said 'it doesn't support it'.

Did want a second for the back room, but I cant see them going to the bargain price I got mine for back when the original went on sale. I have a 4k amazon fire tv box in there, its OK, but not as nice to use and its annoying as hell being tried to sell content to every 5 secs.

Man of Honour
Anyone use one as a Plex client? What's it like? Does it require the server (QNAP NAS for me) to do the transcoding or does it direct play? Does it pass DTS-HD?

Soldato
OP
It's about the best Plex client I've come across, direct plays all formats fine (including HDR and 4K) passes all known HD audio formats fine as well. The only caveat being that everything in the chain must be HDCP 2.2 as HDCP 1.4 can cause confusion after handshakes.

Soldato
I've found the official plex client problematic with hd audio streams dropping after 20mins or so.

The kodi add-on through SPMC works great but that doesn't support live tv currently.

I've given up on it being my plex server as it has some issues with formats / subtitles but it's still the best player available and one of the few Android devices that can pass-through hd audio and have official apps like Amazon.

Man of Honour
It's about the best Plex client I've come across, direct plays all formats fine (including HDR and 4K) passes all known HD audio formats fine as well. The only caveat being that everything in the chain must be HDCP 2.2 as HDCP 1.4 can cause confusion after handshakes.
Thanks. I currently run a NUC with Windows 10 but I get a few minor issues, not to mention it being incredibly wasteful. I also have a Fire TV (gen 1) so a shield could replace both and leave money in my pocket.

Man of Honour
I went ahead and ordered one and set it up last night. After some initial issues which were solved with a new HDMI cable, everything seems to be running well and it passes DTS-HD streamed via Plex to my amp. GF seems happy with the single remote and box to do Plex, Netflix, Amazon etc. I'll try streaming some games to it at some point.

Last edited:
Soldato
I found the spousal acceptance factor went up even further when I brought a harmony remote into the equation, the Shield plays nice with the Harmony hub :)

Does it work with the Amazon video app? I used to use a Fire TV remote (Nvidia one is ridiculously expensive) but it works in everything apart from Amazon video, apparently its a common issue with third-party remotes.

I've done a full reset on mine as it had become quite unresponsive, will have to try True HD through the Plex app again and see if it still cuts out every 20 mins or so.

Soldato
Mine has failed WAF now bake off has moved to Channel 4, and Google still haven't made anyone make anything for Android TV. Oh well, at least I have HD Audio from Plex :p.

Soldato
OP
Does it work with the Amazon video app? I used to use a Fire TV remote (Nvidia one is ridiculously expensive) but it works in everything apart from Amazon video, apparently its a common issue with third-party remotes.

I've done a full reset on mine as it had become quite unresponsive, will have to try True HD through the Plex app again and see if it still cuts out every 20 mins or so.

It does :)

Back
Top Bottom