Nvidia Shield TV Refresh

Soldato
OP
What do you mean by "What's the deal with HDR?"?

The new remote only version I think is conformation that they have accepted people are not buying it for gaming and mostly using it as a streamer. Really it's failed to deliver as a gaming device (not helped by Google's somewhat haphazard support of Android TV) and the home PC game streaming being limited to only users with GeForce cards has hampered them as well after they Fake Newsed a Steam App at the re-launch of the current version.

As a 4K streamer though it is still the best, the only thing they need to sort out is per app resolution switching to allow source to play native and have TVs with their superior upscaling hardware do that job.

Associate
I'm just waiting for the magical moment they can be bothered to bring out a new tablet, their last one was amazing, I'm after a new tablet (last one was a nexus 7 but that's pretty much dead now). I guess I'll just have ti wait it out a couple more months and see.

Man of Honour
Tried game streaming this weekend, works brilliantly and Project Cars 2 on the living room TV with surround sound is epic. GF has given me the go ahead to get a seat and wheel, can't wait.

Epic little box, so glad I bought one.

Soldato
OP
Something I posted in the thread about the new Amazon Fire TV that I have just discovered on the shield thanks to a comment from Tinwarble on the NVidia Shield TV forums. SPMC users might find it useful :) ;)

To confirm a comment I made above Koying has got resolution switching working on the Shield TV in SPMC :D :D, with the latest SPMC Alpha 17.4a10 if you set the resolution to 1920x1080 it changes the shield resolution regardless of if its set at 3840x2160 so 1080p/24 content plays at 1080p/24 and if you then choose 4K content (and HDR as well) it switches up to 3840x2160, the only caveat being if you choose the GUI at 1920x1080 you can only choose refresh rates of 23.97, 24, 29.97 and 30 (refresh rate switching still works for played content though)

Also just in case people haven't noticed Shield Experience 6.0 dropped yesteday which allegedly fixes the problems for people with a mixed HDCP 2.2 and 1.4 chain (It also adds Google Home but only for the yanks)

Soldato
Also just in case people haven't noticed Shield Experience 6.0 dropped yesteday which allegedly fixes the problems for people with a mixed HDCP 2.2 and 1.4 chain (It also adds Google Home but only for the yanks)

Seems to be a few issues with the upgrade being reported over on the nvidia forums, particularly with the keyboard being changed to russian and the UK layout removed. Think I'll give it a bit of time to settle before upgrading as finally got HD audio working properly.

Soldato
OP
I'll check the keyboard tonight, haven't used it so haven't noticed (If it is the case won't take long for Manuel Guzman to communicate it back up the chain and have 6.01 rolled out), I also don't use the voice search as I control mine with a Harmony so I'm not being affected by the new Google voice search hijacking everything. I do like have all the colour spaces, refresh rates and resolutions my TV can do selectable now from an experimental point of view, also the sound sync on the Amazon Video app is noticeably better, Grand Tour is actually watchable :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems only the newer controllers support background listening, I have the old pro wifi controller so will still be a push to talk service.

Although I thought it was only working in the US currently?

Soldato
OP
The whole voice search thing has been replaced with the new Google one (including the hijacking of the Nvidia button on the game controllers and the mic button on remotes). For everyone not set to English (US) the functionality is gimped. On the SPMC Github Issues Koying has already marked that the VocieRecognizer button needs to be assigned to a new key in keyboard.xml as the system now completely owns the old one.

Soldato
Thought I'd ask in here so I had steam link for awhile and no matter what I did the stream quality was ***** and unplayable, would an nvidia shield work better? PC spec is in sig.

Soldato
It works well as long as you have a decent connection. I had it running on ac wireless relatively trouble free but switching to ethernet got rid of any lag.

TBH I wouldn't expect much improvement over steam link as they work in similar ways.

Soldato
a few online places are showing the new sku priced at £179.99. This is only £10 cheaper than the sku which includes the controller.
Amazing when xbox controllers are £45 and nintendos are £55. Nvidias are £10 lol

:edit: actually just seen the controller listed for £59.99 on its own. Erm?

Man of Honour
After initially being happy with the Shield, I'm now having some issues and from using the power of Google, it seems I'm not the only one.

First, my setup:
I have Plex Media Server running on my QNAP.
It's got an i7-4790S with 16GB or RAM and I use SSD caching.
Thumnail previews are turned off.
The shield is connected using Gigabit.
I use the Plex app on the Shield which is fully updated.

The Shield doesn't transcode, so spec of the NAS is by the by really, but it's plenty powerful enough. At first, I could play high bitrate Blu Ray rips (30GB+) without issue but then over the weekend while having a GoT marathon the Shield started taking ages to play any content, to the point of it starting to crash. I tried my old NUC, perfect, as was the Plex App on my devices at home plus the web client.

I did a factory reset last night which has helped it, but not cured it. If I go to watch a film, if I select it from the library, it takes a good 20 seconds to get to the film info screen with the play button on. If I then press play there's another delay before playing it. It does the same with ~5GB TV episodes, but doesn't take as long. Once something has been viewed like this, the next time you go to play something it's fine.

I did a spot of Googeling last night and it appears that it's a common issue, with most people blaming the Android OS underneath.

Furthermore, Amazon video episodes are a chore as the lip sync is off, again, something that's widely reported around the internet.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm tempted to send it back and use my NUC for Blu Ray rips and my Amazon Fire TV for TV episodes and Amazon video/Netflix etc.

I thought I'd found a girlfriend friendly all in one device that meets all of my needs but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

Soldato
I have noticed that plex doesn't seen to buffer as much recently, so fast forwarding takes a little longer. Not sure if they've changed something.

If you play through spmc using the plex plugin do you get the same result?

Man of Honour
I've not tried, but part of me can't be bothered. I may return it and carry on using my NUC with Win 10 and configure a decent remote for it.

Back
Top Bottom