• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to limit hash rate of RTX3060 GPU's

Soldato
I misread a speculation post as confirmation post. It does appear that the 3060 is nerfed (for now)
Will will be interesting to see if those drivers also nerf the hash rates of the current nvidia Gpus, obviously with those cards you can just install an older driver but still not ideal for gamers who mine on the side but want the latest game ready drivers and resizable bar support.

Associate
yeah can see this harming the average joe who wants to mine while not gaming or using the pc rather than large farms who will buy them in the 100's and get past the bios issues ... interesting times watching from the side :D

Associate
Why doesn't Nvidia make new drivers + vBios's with a check for known mining software that immediately disables all compute functions? Maybe even add in some encryption / self-modifying code obfuscation techniques to make it extra hard to bypass.

Associate
Miners who want maximum efficiency wouldn't be buying 3060's even before this. I hope, and can't imagine, nVidia will do this to every 30 series Graphics card. If they do, a s*** storm cometh.

Soldato
Miners who want maximum efficiency wouldn't be buying 3060's even before this. I hope, and can't imagine, nVidia will do this to every 30 series Graphics card. If they do, a s*** storm cometh.
Not really since the product is aimed at gamers who I imagen would be quite pleased.

Associate
Not entirely convinced that this is a good thing, if miners can’t use the 3060 then they will simply continue buying the 3070 & 3080 instead. This will simply increase demand for the cards that we actual want as gamers.

Soldato
Not entirely convinced that this is a good thing, if miners can’t use the 3060 then they will simply continue buying the 3070 & 3080 instead. This will simply increase demand for the cards that we actual want as gamers.

The vast, overwhelming, majority of gamers are buying midrange like they always have. You get enough performance for current games without burning money and pass on the shiniest shiny special effects.

£500+++ cards are not what the average gamer is after.

Caporegime
The vast, overwhelming, majority of gamers are buying midrange like they always have. You get enough performance for current games without burning money and pass on the shiniest shiny special effects.

Before lockdown I would say for sure, mid-range is where most people look to buy.

But recently I've heard people say that spending £3000k on a gaming PC is "pretty cheap entertainment," and other stuff that makes my jaw drop :p

The amount of cash people have lying around atm, burning a hole in their pockets, is several times what would be normal. Sure it's not life-changing amounts we're talking about, but people are looking to spend their way out of the current pandemic misery.

When people start losing their jobs and furlough is over, maybe some of them will regret buying £3000 gaming PCs. But, what do they say? "YOLO!" People are just looking for ways to spend atm.

Associate

Fair enough, I should indeed have said enthusiasts rather than gamers. Sadly the majority majority of gamers will not be hanging out in the GPU section of a PC enthusiast forum.

My point is simply that this will do nothing to help all those here trying to get hold of 3080’s, instead it’s likely to make it worse for enthusiasts in the short term.

Soldato
The real issue issue isn't the card being used for cryptomining, it's the miners/scalpers getting all the cards so the gamers can't get any

Surely if miners and scalpers can get them, so can gamers... I'm pretty sure they all share the same internet :confused:

Anybody with common sense would just pay the higher scalped price if they can't find the cards in stock, then use the card for mining while they're in bed and at work. In a few months they would have made back what they lost when they paid the higher price and would then start making profit. Plus they would benefit from having one of the new cards for gaming. Imagine if people had done this 3-4 months ago, they would have almost paid off the entire cost of the card by now :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom