• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to limit hash rate of RTX3060 GPU's

Associate
Miners who want maximum efficiency wouldn't be buying 3060's even before this. I hope, and can't imagine, nVidia will do this to every 30 series Graphics card. If they do, a s*** storm cometh.

They cant do this for existing cards as they would face a class action lawsuit however as the 3060 is not out yet its ok!

Associate
Going forward will be very interesting to see what Nvidia plan to do with the remaining GPU to be released (3080ti) and then the 4000 series next year... is this a permanent move you think or just one for the lower end cards so Nvidia can say hay look we are at least trying :confused: maybe they will try force mining farms towards their mining cards they plan to sell ....

ljt

ljt

Soldato
If you're taking that route, mining and donating the profits to a local charity would be far more beneficial than F@H
There are super computers running F@H, I highly doubt your GPU power is going to make any difference at all. However, donating £200+ monthly mining profits to a homeless shelter or a children's group would make a massive difference

I don't want to, nor ever will, mine.

I've just been doing a bit of reading up on nicehash website, and here in the crypto forum and to me it sounds as dodgy as hell.

First off on nicehash website it states you have to make an exception in your anti-virus programs for it to run. That's the first and last red line for me personally. Anything that needs to circumvent an antivirus is not getting installed on my PC ever!

Then I kept reading, and to quote their website;

For NiceHash Miner to fully work, it relies on 3rd party plugins and miners. In most cases, these are programs of unverified and unknown origin. Their real names do not know the authors of these programs, or no company stands behind the software. Why developers of these programs keep their identity so private is unknown to us. There could be various reasons. The reasons are most likely not to harm miners because they charge developer fees for using their miners. But we cannot be entirely sure that they have no intention of ever putting anything harmful inside their programs. Trusting them blindly would be a big mistake.

That is why, if you want to use NiceHash Miner, you need to agree with that, confirm and acknowledge that, and if these unknown developers really do something stupid one day, NiceHash cannot be held liable.

Yet more reasons I won't install any mining software on my PC.

Then it made me laugh as they go on to state that Nicehash do their own "safe" quickminer program LOL yeah, so now you're saying "but you can trust us, honestly" erm no!

Then I did a little reading about how you actually get all this "great" cryptocurrency into something that is actually useful. i.e. GBP.

I might be wrong, but it seems like something along the lines of having to open up an account with somewhere like coinbase, to transfer from nicehash, then you have to use their "pro" service, which you then register your bank details with (another big no from me for a company I don't trust) and in these very forums I've seen people saying their accounts at coinbase have been stuck being "verified" for months on end, i dread to think what documents you may have to send to this coinbase to get "verified", again something I would never do.

It will become a moot point with me soon anyway as I'm ditching desktop PC's, I no longer get any enjoyment from the hobby after 20+ years so I'm jacking it all in, because this is twice in the last few years the PC market has been broken by the demand due to crypto, and I see no end in sight for it, it's going to keep doing this over and over again, and I just don't want to be a part of that anymore. I'll get my gaming fix from consoles and a laptop with enough grunt to run that last few basic legacy PC games that I do own which will likely play an an cheap APU.

Caporegime
It will become a moot point with me soon anyway as I'm ditching desktop PC's, I no longer get any enjoyment from the hobby after 20+ years so I'm jacking it all in, because this is twice in the last few years the PC market has been broken by the demand due to crypto, and I see no end in sight for it, it's going to keep doing this over and over again, and I just don't want to be a part of that anymore. I'll get my gaming fix from consoles and a laptop with enough grunt to run that last few basic legacy PC games that I do own which will likely play an an cheap APU.
I think this is the key point. PC is a source of stress now, not enjoyment.

With a console you don't have to worry about miners. The scalpers will go away when stock comes through in the next 6 months.

But on the PC side, mining is probably here to stay. Good luck getting this gen, next gen, the gen after that... It's going to be miners in first and gamers fighting over the scraps.

And then there's the prices on the PC side. Every AMD CPU is now £300+ for the latest gen. No budget CPUs at all. Every GPU is currently £500+. That's the entire cost of a console in a single CPU or GPU product.

PC has become a) stressful and b) a rich man's plaything. Look at all the people here who say, "Oh we aren't gaming on our new 3080s, so we might as well mine on them."

Well excuse me but why did you buy a 3080 when you weren't even going to game on it? Answer: because the money was burning a hole in their pocket, and they just wanted to spend it.

Soldato
I actually like all the technophobes who are scared and don't understand mining or crypto currencies. Makes it easier and more profitable for the rest of us.

Reminds me of the stories of people scared of electricity or trains that travel above 15mph.

Caporegime
I actually like all the technophobes who are scared and don't understand mining or crypto currencies. Makes it easier and more profitable for the rest of us.

Reminds me of the stories of people scared of electricity or trains that travel above 15mph.
Plenty of us understand it. Greed is easy to understand. FOMO is easy to understand.

Not giving a **** about the environment is easy to understand.

Soldato
I have to admit I was hoping to pick up one of these 3060's on release day just to add in to my PC as a 2nd mining card (I have been mining on my 3070 for the past month). Probably won't now, given this news, so I assume it will also give a lot of others second thoughts.

Unfortunately when there is free money to be had like this, I'm not rich enough to turn it down.

Caporegime
I have to admit I was hoping to pick up one of these 3060's on release day just to add in to my PC as a 2nd mining card (I have been mining on my 3070 for the past month). Probably won't now, given this news, so I assume it will also give a lot of others second thoughts.

Unfortunately when there is free money to be had like this, I'm not rich enough to turn it down.
It's not a life-changing amount whether you're rich or not. I'm sure as heck not rich.

I'm quite saddened by all the people who say they will do anything (legal) for a bit of pocket money.

You know one day I really hope the whole lot of us get wiped up by super Covid or something. We are all a parasitic disease on this planet. To the last man.

Soldato
It's not a life-changing amount whether you're rich or not. I'm sure as heck not rich.

I'm quite saddened by all the people who say they will do anything (legal) for a bit of pocket money.

You know one day I really hope the whole lot of us get wiped up by super Covid or something. We are all a parasitic disease on this planet. To the last man.

You're right its not life changing. But its something. When all other opportunities for low risk returns are exhausted, what's left? I have a job, Ive done matched betting, this is the next low risk thing.

Do you own your own house Foxeye? I don't. Everyone's circumstances are different. When big institutions are doing this, why shouldn't the little guy.

I agree with all your sentiment but still, can't turn it down. When the big institutions and the miners with more GPUs than me lead by example, perhaps then I will reconsider. In the meantime if a GPU becomes available under a certain price threshold, I'm going to buy it.

Caporegime
You're right its not life changing. But its something. When all other opportunities for low risk returns are exhausted, what's left? I have a job, Ive done matched betting, this is the next low risk thing.

Do you own your own house Foxeye? I don't. Everyone's circumstances are different. When big institutions are doing this, why shouldn't the little guy.

I agree with all your sentiment but still, can't turn it down. When the big institutions and the miners with more GPUs than me lead by example, perhaps then I will reconsider.
And this is why I know that the human race will never transcend greed. Ethics is right at the bottom of the list of priorities. People will always value money/wealth/power over principles.

Not a dig at you. Just a general observation of the human condition. We are not a species that values morality, principles or ethics. At least not more than hard cash.

Soldato
And this is why I know that the human race will never transcend greed. Ethics is right at the bottom of the list of priorities. People will always value money/wealth/power over principles.

Not a dig at you. Just a general observation of the human condition. We are not a species that values morality, principles or ethics. At least not more than hard cash.

Totally agree with you.

However like I implied before, I could probably find something that you've benefited from that isn't ethical, if I quizzed you on it. Houses for one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Plenty of us understand it. Greed is easy to understand. FOMO is easy to understand.

Mining isn't always greed.

As much as we don't want to accept it MONEY makes the world go around, we all want money, more money is better.

I don't have anywhere as much money as I'd like it's easier said than done getting a higher paid job, so if I can spend 32 quid a month in extra electric, and net up to 200 quid profit from that, then to me, that's a brilliant way of getting some extra cash, it's like a free GPU, mine for 3 months and pretty much paid for the 3080FE.

Soldato
Don't rise to him. Just ignore the troll
I'm not trolling.

I do care about the environment but a 215W heater in my room isn't the problem. It's less than a kg of CO2 a day at current grid conditions (175g/Kwh), roughly equivalent of a 4KM drive in an efficient diesel. I assume you don't drive, use heating or electricity for work. Or order anything off the internet that has to be delivered.

I don't know if you are aware of this but there are companies who make all their money from selling fossil fuels. I cannot wait for these ******** to run out of ways of getting the stuff.

Caporegime
Mining isn't always greed.

As much as we don't want to accept it MONEY makes the world go around, we all want money, more money is better.
Quite a few people who had high-paying city jobs left them to go live in the mountains (you know what I mean, here; I'm not being 100% literal).

Once your basic needs are met, and you have a few options for recreation/entertainment, the drive to make more money can end up being a snare. A lot of people suddenly realise that money isn't making them happy at all.

People have ruined their own lives chasing money. I'm sure that's not too contentious.

It's funny/sad/depressing seeing people scramble to make a few quid a day as tho not doing so would be a serious error of judgement.

I also look forward to a serious governmental review of the environmental cost of mining. And also throwing the regulatory book at the whole crypto industry.

Soldato
Quite a few people who had high-paying city jobs left them to go live in the mountains (you know what I mean, here; I'm not being 100% literal).

Once your basic needs are met, and you have a few options for recreation/entertainment, the drive to make more money can end up being a snare. A lot of people suddenly realise that money isn't making them happy at all.

People have ruined their own lives chasing money. I'm sure that's not too contentious.

It's funny/sad/depressing seeing people scramble to make a few quid a day as tho not doing so would be a serious error of judgement.

I also look forward to a serious governmental review of the environmental cost of mining. And also throwing the regulatory book at the whole crypto industry.

It's excellent making up to a few hundred quid a month extra simply by almost doing nothing, aside from spending 32 quid's worth of energy.

And those people that left high paying city jobs didn't just leave into nothing, they'd have pensions and a lot of savings, neither of which I have.

From what I can see a company like Nestle do a lot more damage to the environment than GPU miners.

And Ch-i-na

Caporegime
I'm not trolling.

I do care about the environment but a 215W heater in my room isn't the problem. It's less than a kg of CO2 a day at current grid conditions (175g/Kwh), roughly equivalent of a 4KM drive in an efficient diesel. I assume you don't drive, use heating or electricity for work. Or order anything off the internet that has to be delivered.

I don't know if you are aware of this but there are companies who make all their money from selling fossil fuels. I cannot wait for these ******** to run out of ways of getting the stuff.
Huge difference in those scenarios. Yes, many useful/required activities have a carbon cost.

1) Most industries are trying to reduce consumption (energy/carbon/etc).
2) BTC energy usage will increase (exponentially?) by design (read the other day it's increased 800% in 2.5 years).

BTC does not seek to reduce consumption. In fact it seeks to increase it. Nor is producing BTC something I'd class as a "useful/required" activity. Unlike, say, having your groceries delivered. Because you kind of need to eat.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I'm not trolling.

You are. Calling us technophobes because we don't want to install software that has to be configured to be ignored by antivirus, and even mentions on their own site that the authors of the software are anonymous by choice and they "don't know why", or have control over what they put in said software, and you even sign a disclaimer to say you're happy with it. That is not a technophobe, that is just someone being cautious with that they want to install on their own PC, for me that says dodgy as **** if they are concealing their identity and asking you to circumvent antivirus programs.

Soldato
KMS activators are classed as a virus by Windows, it doesn't mean its a virus, for one MS wouldn't want it to work, as it means illegal copy of Windows, free copy and the way the KMS works could be how some viruses attempt to access a system, but doesn't mean it is a virus.

Back
Top Bottom